• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Also with the Walking Dead Season 3 Previews on AMC a week before SDCC Kirkman certainly seems to have all his ducks in a row. I will find it interesting how he handles the growth. As someone mentioned it may suffer under its own weight.

And of course both the TV Show and the Comic feed off of each other. It would be silly to think one exists in isolation from the other.
This is a great point and is the essence of why is is much more difficult to maintain a high level of quality story writing when something becomes popular. The spontaneous death of characters in WD has been key to the books success. I agree with most on here that Rick and Michonne are pretty much untouchable. Unfortunately, they are untouchable because they are too valuable to the interested parties, not because they are too valuable to the story. Popular characters are valuable commodities and when you invest in them, you cannot kill them or you lose your investment. Generally, corporate entertainment will only kill a character as an act of desperation usually preceded by speculation and build up. Story wise, this usually sucks and the product suffers.

However, I'm hoping that Kirkman can thread this needle creatively and keep this story awesome even with the increased popularity.

And of course both the TV Show and the Comic feed off of each other. It would be silly to think one exists in isolation from the other.

There are many, many fans of the show that do not read comics or just have no desire to read a Walking Dead comic. Most of my family and friends love the show but only my wife and I have ever picked up the comics. I won't trash the book in its own fan thread but both of us gave up on the comics. And we really wanted to love it.

They are not completely reliant on each other but they are also not mutually exclusive atleast from the perspective of fans. I am a bigger fan of the TV Show but they still have many similarities which add to my enjoyment of the overall WD experience.

I am not saying all fans of the comic are fans of the show and vice versa. Given the number of viewers this simply can't be the case. The story however has its foundation firmly planted in comics and I'd bet the comic will be around long after the TV show is gone.

The challenges facing WD now as a commodity are very interesting. Anyone who has taken a starter level business course can see where this is going. White hot is white hot for only so long.

How about a reality check on numbers here. How many copies did issue 100 sell? How many people are buying multiples?

How many people watch the tv show?

The tv show can survive without the funny book readers.

White hot is white hot for only so long.

Bottle Rocket. You can go so high, until you eventually fizzle out

Nothing is going to fizzle out as far as the fanbase and demand for more issues/episodes IMO. I'm a huge fan and that simply wont change. I feel that any WD fan has the same mentality.

I think the series will stick around long after the TV show. I hope to see Issue #300+

def am seeing an easing on the prices of WD #19 and #27's both raw and CGCed.

I just wonder when the #1 will break. Last sale of the 9.8 was $1500.00.

Can this book keep going up? hm

WD #2 still have less 9.8's than 9.6. :cool:

WD #2. :takeit:

WD#1. zzz

There are now 950 copies of Walking Dead #1 that have been CGC graded. Over 600 in 9.6 or better.

A whopping in 10 CGC 9.9.......which take that for what it is there.

I really can't see this book peaking any higher going forward as there are just too many copies out there. Soon this sheep like hysteria will come to an end.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

WD#1. zzz

There are now 950 copies of Walking Dead #1 that have been CGC graded. Over 600 in 9.6 or better.

I really can't see this book peaking any higher going forward as there are just too many copies out there. Soon this sheep like hysteria will come to an end.

Everything with you is about dollars and cents :baiting:

We'll see in the near future, but no matter what there is only 7,000 copies to go around, if you think about it, that is just nuts to try and comprehend.

Jim

WD#1. zzz

We'll see in the near future, but no matter what there is only 7,000 copies to go around, if you think about it, that is just nuts to try and comprehend.

Jim

That's true.. and I have to say, im sure theres A LOT more people trying to get a copy in their collection than there are out there.

I'm missing issues 1 - 4, but feel better buying OA than these issues atm because they are so overvalued in my opinion. Just waiting for the madness to hush down and I can pick one up for cheaper than they are now. I KNOW I'll need to cough up a lot, but I'm not going to spend $500 + for a raw copy of #1- no way.

Edited by Phillip

WD#1. zzz

Jim

That's true.. and I have to say, im sure theres A LOT more people trying to get a copy in their collection than there are out there.

I'm missing issues 1 - 4, but feel better buying OA than these issues atm because they are so overvalued in my opinion. Just waiting for the madness to hush down and I can pick one up for cheaper than they are now. I KNOW I'll need to cough up a lot, but I'm not going to spend $500 + for a raw copy of #1- no way.

I really don't know if it is ever going to drop to those levels again. It's funny a well known WD collector and I were joking today, the only way a WD #1 goes for less than $600 today, is if it is coverless :)

Jim

I'm betting that #1 will go up before it goes down and I'll tell you why.

There's at least three more seasons of the show to come and it will keep going on if the ratings are solid.

There's at least another 100 issues in the monthly series. So, what's that, 8-9 years, minimum. Unless Kirkam wants to stop. But, from what I've read in the 'hacks' pages, that doesn't seem likely. Even then, if the book is selling 50,000 copies a month, someone else will take over.

Also, Kirkman didn't just create a story here, IMO, he created a "universe". There are so many stories that can be told. "The Walking Dead" is just one series in that universe.

I wouldn't be forking out $500 for a copy of #1 either - I paid $30 for mine - but $500 might not be a bad price now, we just don't know. That is what makes this hobby so interesting. To me at least.

2c

#2 also had a smaller print run than #1 right?.. So makes sense less 9.8s of them .. I wouldn't count number two out though as it has a lot of first apps in the book right?.. Though I wonder if those even really count for anything in a series like this where everyone just dies ...

Edited by synch

I'm betting that #1 will go up before it goes down and I'll tell you why.

Iron Man (TOS #39) really hasn't gone up anymore past Iron Man #1 with basically 2 sequels. WD season IMO will not event whether #1 goes up going forward.

I think two years from now WD #1 in CGC 9.8 will barely be trading over $800.

There is a lot of copies out there and by end of summer the CGC census on both 1, 19, and 27 will be even more sky high.

I just submitted 15 copies of #27....all are going to be 9.8's. So that will kill the price eventually.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

#1 is historically significant and the most important issue by a longshot...and #2 is just #2. Dollar for dollar, I will take #1 all day, every day.

No one is saying WD #2 is more important that #1, but tougher to find....hell yea.

I am more impressed seeing a WD #2 in CGC 9.8 than #1.

#1 isn't that tough to find if you need a HG copy. (shrug)