• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

What would be so bad about Rick dying or the view shifting to another group?

When you read 100 issues of something you tend to get attached to main characters.

I know due to the nature of the genre/story, characters will be killed off here and there but to shift the focus to a whole new group and introduce a whole new set of characters all at once kinda hinders the progress of the story imo. I don't want to re-read or go back to the beginning of a story I have already been reading. If I wanted to do that, I would just read issues #1-100 over again, no sense in paying double for a story I have already read, even if it is from new characters perspective.

These are some theories I've discussed with people on other message boards. No one has read the issue so no spoilers here.

Theory 1: (most popular)

Rick's behavior after the recent attack was out of character. Too inconsistent. So the theory is that Rick believes there is a spy in the town. He's putting up a front of not knowing what to do, to avoid tipping off the spy. His actual plan is to circle back once the attack happens and kill the attackers. Andrea of course is in on the plan. Rick's group will then go over the top and slaughter all the attackers.

Theory 2:

Similar to theory 1. Except, no spy theory. Instead, the last page when Rick was giving that "look" was meant to imply he saw the attackers on the rooftop. So they will circle back and kill the attackers. yadda yadda.

Theory 3:

Andrea and the rest of the town will be slaughtered.

Theory 4:

The 3 dudes will attack, but Andrea will handle them easily in a few pages. The real story will be the van getting attacked. Either on the way to the hilltop, or the leader Negan will be at the Hilltop when they get there.

My thoughts:

Slaughtering the attackers like theory 1 and 2 suggest reminds me too much of the end of the "Fear the Hunters" arc. So that wouldn't shock me. The problem with theory 3 is that it seems too obvious Andrea will be killed. I think Kirkman is better than that. 2c

Personally, I think theory 4 makes the most sense. My guess is that the shocking moment will be something happening to Sophia. She was killed in the TV show, and nothing is more scary to a parent than losing a child. Kirkman is a parent of a young child himself. It could also be what shocked Eric Stephensen and Erik Larson too.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it goes one step further. Imagine Maggie seeing Sophia killed or raped or whatever. I could see her character then commiting suicide, killing herself and the unborn baby. Not wanting to bring a child into this world and she does have a history of attempted suicide. Glenn of course would then have to live with the guilt of making them leave. 2c

I want to see what's happening in other parts of the world. Paris? London? Russia?

I'll give you a hint...There are zombies there.

Part of the enjoyment of reading from primarily one groups point of view is that level of mystery you get. You don't know what's happening in Paris, London or Russia because Rick and his crew doesn't know either.

I want to see what's happening in other parts of the world. Paris? London? Russia?

Part of the enjoyment of reading from primarily one groups point of view is that level of mystery you get. You don't know what's happening in Paris, London or Russia because Rick and his crew doesn't know either.

So wait you know there are zombies there but Rick and his crew from the actually story line don't? Are you holding out? :baiting: Edited by ChadH

So wait you know there are zombies there but Rick and his crew from the actually story line don't? Are you holding out? :baiting:

lol, you know what I mean. Rick and everyone else more than likely believes the epidemic is everywhere. Sure they can hold on to hope, but in a zombie infested world, hope is overrated.

So wait you know there are zombies there but Rick and his crew from the actually story line don't? Are you holding out? :baiting:

lol, you know what I mean. Rick and everyone else more than likely believes the epidemic is everywhere. Sure they can hold on to hope, but in a zombie infested world, hope is overrated.

lol , just kidding with you. I really think 100 could be a stepping stone for the series to get even better or dip into utter nothingness.

Proof that Lori and Judith are dead, other than the splash page of her getting shot and lying on the ground.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=854292&GSub=105591

Even if she managed to somehow get up after getting shot, she would have had to make it out of that mess alive - and lets be realistic, Lori couldn't hold a gun correctly let alone kill a few zombies.

I actually think Lori and Judith are alive. I've looked at that panel 1000 times and when comparing it to Carl's gunshot wound to the head it's not that far fetched. I really enjoyed what Lori brought to the story and I think Judith would help Rick in some ways. Although Andrea would probably have something to say about that. lol

Carl got immediate medical attention from a surgeon. Lori and Judith lay bleeding on the ground in a yard full of zombies for goodness knows how long.

Another "Rick's family member suffers a serious injury followed by amnesia" would be lame.

There's also no obvious reason why Lori would head for DC. Like I say, I'll be pretty disappointed if this theory ends up being true. For me, it would destroy a lot of the emotional resonance of that cycle of issues as well.

I definitely see where you're coming from, but that doctor wasn't a brain surgeon and that's obviously what Carl needed. That gunshot looked waaaaay more lethal than the one that hit Lori and Judith.

"There's no way THAT could happen!"

Dude...it's a book about ZOMBIES! :-p

If, in fact, she IS alive, I personally would love to change course, and follow Lori's path post-48.

Maybe you nailed it. And Lucielle is the spin off. :o

There are millions of "water heads" in this world. If anyone buys into this then they deserve to be taken. While I don't agree with the way it's being handled you can't fault the guy for taking advantage of the dummies in this world.

This most certainly isn't going to stop by any means. Just search "grab bag" on eBay and see what pops up.

lol , just kidding with you. I really think 100 could be a stepping stone for the series to get even better or dip into utter nothingness.

This. +1

While I don't agree with the way it's being handled you can't fault the guy for taking advantage of the dummies in this world.

Still no excuse for doing it and I agree he should be NARU'd. I'll go end them this time (thumbs u Who's got the next rotation?

WD.jpg

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

There are millions of "water heads" in this world. If anyone buys into this then they deserve to be taken. While I don't agree with the way it's being handled you can't fault the guy for taking advantage of the dummies in this world.

This most certainly isn't going to stop by any means. Just search "grab bag" on eBay and see what pops up.

The existence of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (or fools or dreamers or optimists) is certainly what drives these types of auctions. That doesn't change the fact that he's running a scam. It's illegal and unethical and disgusting.

Sorry, but this is crazy - we "can't fault" him? Why on earth not?

Taking advantage of people who are not very smart and fleecing them is absolutely to be faulted. This is on the same spectrum as selling financial products to eldery and confused people that don't need them, or trapping people in boiler room scams (if not quite at the same end).