• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

if that were around 800 or so, I'd think about it. It's a nice sketch, and good luck getting anything beyond a doodle from charlie nowadays...

800 still sounds ridiculous to me purely because you can get a fairly decent original page for that price. No contest. I'm not that into detailed sketch covers myself, purely because in the majority there is no big gulf between them and the originals. There are cases for some artists like Neal Adams where even though his sketches are very expensive there is a jump when it comes to his OA.

I still think they are better for quick sketches than a sheet of A4 paper if there isn't an option for anything else.

Still if you want to go as far as to break it down that auction is the 300, plus the price of the blank, plus winning the sketch lottery or queueing the night before, plus possibly taking a day's holiday from work, plus the cgc fees, plus the con tickets, plus the travel and possibly the stay, plus a bit on top to make a profit. It's not unreasonable to say that someone wanting to get one made for themselves could wind up spending 5 to 600 doll hairs in cash and time before thinking about profit. Heck they even have to risk not even getting a sketch op but turning up to the con anyway and leaving empty handed.

800 suddenly sounds almost reasonable.

3k+ is silly because this isn't a charity auction. I would understand it if someone is thrill listing it and they actually want to keep it.

Hey Bjorn. Thrill list your #1 page for $50k ;)

(shrug)

I'd rather spend the 800 to buy original art/WD pages.

I mean, the way I see it, if someone is going to a con that Adlard is in, just pay them the $300 plus another $100 for their trouble of picking it up.....

But that's just me....

:sorry:

Edited by BChin22

(shrug)

I'd rather spend the 800 to buy original art/WD pages.

I mean, the way I see it, if someone is going to a con that Adlard is in, just pay them the $300 plus another $100 for their trouble of picking it up.....

But that's just me....

:sorry:

Oh totally. OA all the way.

When it comes to tipping someone to get an Adlard sketch then don't forget what an average 30 something fan probably earns. Might as well go to work than stand in a sweaty line for hours and hours whilst missing the rest of the con only to find out Charlie is actually a human being and you have to stand in line for even longer whilst he has lunch.

Is 100 selling it short and just a line in the sand for you?

But for $3000 I'd rather wait and save some more money and buy a WD published cover, not a book.
Exactly, personally I wouldn't spend more than $200 on anything that isn't published. Sketches can be great but just aren't canon.

Hahaha

This reminds me when I watched Peter David ate his lunch - "c'mon man I just want a signature and a quote on my comic book. It will only take 1 min"

Edited by dead_clone

I feel the #1 variants are a real killer. I'm not even trying to get them anymore. I think the Liefeld cover really jumped the shark for me.

Exactly

I'm trying to hang in there..........but it does seem like quality has been replace by quantity($) as far as the issue one reprints go.

I'd like to add to my statement above a little bit. I actually like most of the variant covers. There definitely are a few that are not that great.It's the sheer numbers thats overwhelming.I wish they had done something a little different with each reprint.Like maybe had the cover artist do a short story in the issue.At least something different to make it more interesting.

I feel the #1 variants are a real killer. I'm not even trying to get them anymore. I think the Liefeld cover really jumped the shark for me.

Exactly

I'm trying to hang in there..........but it does seem like quality has be replace by quantity($) as far as the issue one reprints go.

I say to any WD fan just buy the real #1 and key issues and be done with it.

At the end of this WD craze the only issues that will have value is the obvious key issues.

All the variants will tank.

100% Agree!! I always go with original covers as well. None of the 100B, 100C, 115M, Blank Variants, etc....

eBay is flooded with this variant stuff that nobody is buying (at least me) - unless they sell this at a very cheap price

Garbage!

The blanks are actually a pretty good bet... not saying necessarily for a registry set but raw and especially graded with sketch they have a lot more potential. People who want nothing to do with the registry or even a full TWD run still appreciate a sketched book.

If anyone has some 109 or 115 blank going for a reasonable price I may be interested.

I agree that once you get either Tony Moore or Charlie Adlard to do an original sketch on those blanks, it will be worth the money in the long term - when they stop sketching and retire. However, for an average collector (like myself) forking out hundreds of dollars to get a nice decent sketch + grading is not worth the time. I'm not sure if the market will allow an average collector to get a decent rate of return within a year or so.

There's an Adlard sketch here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291139236160

But the price is stupidly insane. It costs $300ish to get a sketch from Adlard. I don't know why anyone would pay 10x the cost???

doh!

She probably saw dollar signs printing with every stroke of Adlard's pen...

Seriously, that's crazy... It's somewhat good as it is creating a buzz for the industry, specifically Walking Dead.

Exactly

I'm trying to hang in there..........but it does seem like quality has be replace by quantity($) as far as the issue one reprints go.

At the end of this WD craze the only issues that will have value is the obvious key issues.

100% Agree!! I always go with original covers as well. None of the 100B, 100C, 115M, Blank Variants, etc....

eBay is flooded with this variant stuff that nobody is buying (at least me) - unless they sell this at a very cheap price

Garbage!

The blanks are actually a pretty good bet... not saying necessarily for a registry set but raw and especially graded with sketch they have a lot more potential. People who want nothing to do with the registry or even a full TWD run still appreciate a sketched book.

If anyone has some 109 or 115 blank going for a reasonable price I may be interested.

I agree that once you get either Tony Moore or Charlie Adlard to do an original sketch on those blanks, it will be worth the money in the long term - when they stop sketching and retire. However, for an average collector (like myself) forking out hundreds of dollars to get a nice decent sketch + grading is not worth the time. I'm not sure if the market will allow an average collector to get a decent rate of return within a year or so.

But the price is stupidly insane. It costs $300ish to get a sketch from Adlard. I don't know why anyone would pay 10x the cost???

doh!

Seriously, that's crazy... It's somewhat good as it is creating a buzz for the industry, specifically Walking Dead.

:gossip: I think shes a he

Exactly

Garbage!

doh!

:gossip: I think shes a he

My bad...

Exactly

I'm trying to hang in there..........but it does seem like quality has been replace by quantity($) as far as the issue one reprints go.

I'd like to add to my statement above a little bit. I actually like most of the variant covers. There definitely are a few that are not that great.It's the sheer numbers thats overwhelming.I wish they had done something a little different with each reprint.Like maybe had the cover artist do a short story in the issue.At least something different to make it more interesting.

Well at a very rough estimate the variants, reprints, 2nd and 3rd printings from the main series only put together should be approaching about 90 or so comics now. Most of them came out from #100 and onwards. At this rate they will outstrip the total cover A's out there and run off into the long grass swinging their pants above their heads whilst screaming "Woop woop!".

... but if you ever start to think that's bad go and have a look at the registry set for Batman (2011) :gossip:

Regarding sketches/ commission pieces. For me its about the quality of the piece. The better the piece the more I'm willing to pay. Sometimes, like the example shown above, it can be better than many of the published pieces.

With Tony Moore, getting his pages is expensive, difficult and I get no reply at artsales@tonymooreIllustration. So I take what I can find.

Edited by Rip

Regarding sketches/ commission pieces. For me its about the quality of the piece. The better the piece the more I'm willing to pay. Sometimes, like the example shown above, it can be better than many of the published pieces.

With Tony Moore, getting his pages is expensive, difficult and I get no reply at artsales@tonymooreIllustration. So I take what I can find.

I don't think he's selling anymore pages. :(

I don't think he's selling anymore pages. :(

Drat!! :cry:

As you guys were talking about variants... I just saw this on ebay yet another variant! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-WALKING-DEAD-127-DIAMOND-RETAILER-SUMMIT-2014-BW-VARIANT-COVER-/351066500775

:o

I thought the Diamond Retailer Summit is later this month? ???

The seller is Charlie's local shop. They did this with 116 third print too. That one still hasn't been announced.