• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,448 posts in this topic

This exciting story arc just keeps getting better.

The only concern I encountered:

How do the whisperers keep sneaking up on experienced patrolmen? After two plus years, how do they not have the experience and wherewithal to constantly be on the lookout for stray zombies? Jesus would be the last person I would expect to be caught by surprise seeing as he was the scout for the Hilltop. Minor hiccup, but one that makes a number of these people look clueless.

This exciting story arc just keeps getting better.

The only concern I encountered:

How do the whisperers keep sneaking up on experienced patrolmen? After two plus years, how do they not have the experience and wherewithal to constantly be on the lookout for stray zombies? Jesus would be the last person I would expect to be caught by surprise seeing as he was the scout for the Hilltop. Minor hiccup, but one that makes a number of these people look clueless.

So... that was a pretty cool issue. There are a few writers out there that pace their stuff like this by splitting the plot between carrying the ongoing story and driving the action, and I am really pleased to see Kirkman nailing that. It has me wondering if we are going to see another Hunters length arc with this or if it is going to be drawn out for longer? Definitely back on the rise again for me.

I thought the "whisperers" laid more of an ambush rather than sneaking up. The patrol was hit under the shadow of a bridge where they may have been concealed or playing ... errr, dead. With the noise of the initial attack and no doubt a startled horse then the shock of seeing a knife attack, the ones trailing further behind would have had opportunity to attack whilst the focus wasn't on them. Earlier when following they could well have been spotted, they only looked like they were approx 20m / 65ft away which is the kind of distance you should be able to read a clean UK car license plate at if well lit. Maybe the emphasis on horseback is to keep moving and not let zombies build up around them, meaning it's more important to look ahead an only glance back to make quick checks on what is closest (not the middle of the pack).

Didn't bother me at all in this issue. It's not too hard to make plausible, the more you have to argue it the less credible it becomes and I don't feel that it's a big stretch.

That aside... is there a hint that this is an unexpected retalliation for something that the Survivors have done? Brought upon themselves? Perhaps all the herds that they have driven away have overrun somewhere else forcing the others to blend in any way that they can to escape and now they are looking for revenge? If so it would introduce a different motive for further conflict rather than another Governor scenario.

Still no mention of Michonne... Magna and her group don't look like a threat right now, Dwight has control of the Saviors (and I am going to assume that includes Sherry, Amber and Tara), Andrea and the other Survivor ladies appear to be nicely settled. Kirkman has hinted we may yet see a female villain. Money has to be 50 / 50 between Michonne or a new character.