• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever had any problems with CGC? Specifically in regards to submitting a high grade book (at the very LEAST a 9.0 candidate, but more likely a 9.4-9.6) and having it come back a drastically lower grade?

I submitted #27 (among others) at SDCC, called and received my grades. Was happy for the most part, mostly high grades. HOWEVER, #27 is coming back a 8.5.

Bummed considering that looking at the book, there was nothing notably wrong with it. Corners were sharp, spine, etc etc etc. So I am wondering what happened and if this has happened to any of you guys before.

When I get the book back and if I see notable damage when there was none at the time of submission, what if any action can or should be taken on my part. I wont lie, it's pretty frustrating.

First thing to realise is that it could be a defect on the inside of the book. Unless you checked every single page with a magnifying glass, it's possible you missed something. Unfortunately, unless the defect is obvious from the cover, you'd have to pay for grader's notes to find out what dropped it.

In terms of legal action if the book comes back with damage that wasn't there when you sent it, it could get complicated. Your books are insured by CGC while on their premises. But there would no doubt be a discussion to be had about whether the books were damaged on the way to them or not - difficult to prove. So unless you had insurance on the way over, could be problematic.

One thing I think I can say with confidence is that if CGC damaged your book, and realised they had, they wouldn't simply go ahead and grade it and return it to you - you would be contacted first (this has happened to me before).

Tell us that story!

Definitely not going to do that on a public thread. Feel free to PM me though.

I'm wondering how big the shipping department is...if its like one guy with a tape gun he could just be overloaded at the moment. I've still not received my red foul variant while others have.

That could explain the problems with the books?

So for all you OA collectors Chris Giarrusso has his cover for #103 up for sale on his website! Whoever buys it please post a pic here! Chris almost gave this cover to Kirkman from my conversation with him last month. Looks like Kirkman told him to sell it instead!

http://www.chrisgcomics.com/store.html#inv

Yeah I asked Chris about it back in April and he said it was spoken for. Thought it was long gone.

I'm wondering how big the shipping department is...if its like one guy with a tape gun he could just be overloaded at the moment. I've still not received my red foul variant while others have.

That could explain the problems with the books?

I have ordered several things in the past from the Skybound shop and they are unfortunately a little slow. One guy (who I might add is a really nice guy) does all the packaging/shipping. Robert Pounder I believe is his name. He is also a mod on the image forums and I have always found that is a good way to get in touch with him.

So for all you OA collectors Chris Giarrusso has his cover for #103 up for sale on his website! Whoever buys it please post a pic here! Chris almost gave this cover to Kirkman from my conversation with him last month. Looks like Kirkman told him to sell it instead!

Yeah I asked Chris about it back in April and he said it was spoken for. Thought it was long gone.

It was until someone saw the 5k pricetag! lol jk

What's it worth then? I would have thought this would have been desirable.

What's it worth then? I would have thought this would have been desirable.

What would you pay for it? There's your answer. There is no objective pricetag.

$5,000 is a lot of guac..even $3,000 I would pass

edit: its cutesy, and drawn pretty well - though I'm not a fan of his style (it all looks like megaman style to me, and it all looks drawn in 20 minutes like a sketch)

..because its WD related, its supposedly worth big bucks? :frustrated:

Edited by Jerry S

edit: its cutesy, and drawn pretty well - though I'm not a fan of his style (it all looks like megaman style to me, and it all looks drawn in 20 minutes like a sketch)

The way I see it is, it is a cover swipe of #1 which as we all know is one of, if not the most important cover of modern comics. Lesser covers with poorer art have sold for more than $3000 recently and it's an in demand variant cover. For $3000 I would snap his hand off!

The way I see it is, it is a cover swipe of #1 which as we all know is one of, if not the most important cover of modern comics. Lesser covers with poorer art have sold for more than $3000 recently and it's an in demand variant cover. For $3000 I would snap his hand off!

Look at his other pricing. Is it really worth 5x any other comparable cover simply because it has the words "Walking Dead" at the top...? Make no mistake here - this is NOT the cover to Walking Dead #1. How much is a variant "kiddie" cover of an insignificant recent issue really worth to you? And what percentage of the ascribed "value" has to do with the title and NOT the art?

Look at his other pricing. Is it really worth 5x any other comparable cover simply because it has the words "Walking Dead" at the top...? Make no mistake here - this is NOT the cover to Walking Dead #1. How much is a variant "kiddie" cover of an insignificant recent issue really worth to you? And what percentage of the ascribed "value" has to do with the title and NOT the art?

Good point by JJ - he's priced it way above any of his other covers. If you're really serious that you'd pay $3k for it, I'd advise you to make Chris G an offer. You might be surprised... it's safe to assume he hasn't sold a piece for anything approaching that much previously.

Some of the pricing is definitely from which book its from...there are lots of artists that pages from them are a lot cheaper if it isnt the book they are known for..

Look at Moore and pricing on his other works, its about 10x as cheap..Even Adlard, on his other work, about 5x as cheap..