• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richie Rich #1 changes PQ

24 posts in this topic

So I'm browsing the upcoming Heritage auction and notice the Richie Rich #1 auction. I noticed that the same Richie Rich book had gotten a PQ bump on a resub. No big deal right? Except, the old slab was a new label already. How frequently do people see PQ bumps on resubs of new label books? I've always heard that old labels might get bumps but that was b/c CGC had loosened their PQ grades. Thoughts?

Old slab.

New slab.

Ask yourself how cream pages can turn off-white. They can't. Go figure...

If the pages started as cream-colored, then that's as white as they ever were.

CGC appears to be using colors as if they actually represent "shades of the original".

"White" would refer to the pages in whatever color they originally were when new.

"Off-white" would be the next-closest color to whatever color they originally were when new.

In the past, CGC probably used the idea of "cream pages" as "pages which are cream colored",

but if that particularly comic had "cream-colored pages" when it was brand new,

then those pages are actually "white" relative to how they started.

Unfortunately, there is now confusion between the "literal" color grades

(given early in CGC's history, when "white" meant "lacking color")

and the "relative" color grades which seem to be more recent.

My question is... what color would the pages be in a comic which was printed on green paper?

Given that they have a "Pink Pages" designation, they would probably just add for green. The pink pages is used for GA books published by Fox comics in the late 40s that are actually printed on pink pages.

So can a pink paged book ever get a page quality designation other than "pink pages"? What if a pink-paged book has lousy page quality?

CGC Page Quality Chart

1. White

2. Off-White to White

3. Off-White

4. Light Tan to White

5. Light Tan to Off-White

6. Light Tan

7. Pink to White

8. Pink to Off-White

9. Pink to Light Tan

10. Pink

11. Cream to White

12. Cream to Off-White

13. Cream to Light Tan

14. Cream to Pink

15. Cream

16. Tan to White

17. Tan to Off-White

18. Tan to Light Tan

19. Tan to Pink

20. Tan to Cream

21. Tan

22. Dark Tan to White

23. Dark Tan to Off-White

24. Dark Tan to Light Tan

25. Dark Tan to Pink

26. Dark Tan to Cream

27. Dark Tan to Tan

28. Dark Tan

29. Slightly Brittle

30. Brittle

i have had it happen a few times before. resub even on a new label came back with better PQ.

graded 03/09/2005

hulk181frnt45.jpg

graded 05/15/2006

hulk181frnt45ss.jpg

(worship) Stan Lee has special powers that change PQ. (worship)

The coin flipped a different way on the resub, that's all.

You could probably resub 50 book and at least a third will come back with a different QP. And probably at least as manywill have a grade change.

So can a pink paged book ever get a page quality designation other than "pink pages"? What if a pink-paged book has lousy page quality?

CGC Page Quality Chart

1. White

2. Off-White to White

3. Off-White

4. Light Tan to White

5. Light Tan to Off-White

6. Light Tan

7. Pink to White

8. Pink to Off-White

9. Pink to Light Tan

10. Pink

11. Cream to White

12. Cream to Off-White

13. Cream to Light Tan

14. Cream to Pink

15. Cream

16. Tan to White

17. Tan to Off-White

18. Tan to Light Tan

19. Tan to Pink

20. Tan to Cream

21. Tan

22. Dark Tan to White

25. Dark Tan to Pink

26. Dark Tan to Cream

27. Dark Tan to Tan

28. Dark Tan

29. Slightly Brittle

30. Brittle

Thanks for posting that, Doc. Seems like it would be hard to be able to tell the difference between variations of page quality with all that pink getting in the way.

Richie Rich #1 (Harvey, 1960) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white pages. The other 9.6 copy sold for $29,875 in a Heritage auction, and what jumps out at us is that this one has better page quality than the previous copy (which was certified "cream to off-white").

I copy/pasted the above from the auction. So is this a brand new submission?

Richie Rich #1 (Harvey, 1960) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white pages. The other 9.6 copy sold for $29,875 in a Heritage auction, and what jumps out at us is that this one has better page quality than the previous copy (which was certified "cream to off-white").

I could swear that the census when I posted this had only 1 in 9.6. But I checked again and it shows 2. :tonofbricks: Nothing to see here people, move along.

Added: It's entirely possible that I was looking at the description in the first auction that stated only 1 9.6 in the census.

I could swear that the census when I posted this had only 1 in 9.6. But I checked again and it shows 2. :tonofbricks: Nothing to see here people, move along.

Added: It's entirely possible that I was looking at the description in the first auction that stated only 1 9.6 in the census.

doh!

7. Pink to White

8. Pink to Off-White

9. Pink to Light Tan

11. Cream to White

14. Cream to Pink

16. Tan to White

18. Tan to Light Tan

19. Tan to Pink

22. Dark Tan to White

25. Dark Tan to Pink

26. Dark Tan to Cream

27. Dark Tan to Tan

28. Dark Tan

Not sure I've ever seen any of these page color designations.