• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are DC 1970's DOLLAR Comics Scarcer in 9.8 Than Regular Issues?

13 posts in this topic

Anyone else notice there seems to a lack of DC 1970's DOLLAR comics available for sale in 9.8? I don't know if this is because DOLLAR comics are scarcer in 9.8 than regular sized issues, or if it is just lack of demand and low pricing, which leads to less submissions.

Also does anyone know if the initial circulation figures were less for DOLLAR comics than regular sized comics due to the higher pricing? (i.e. more scarcity)

I just picked up a World's Finest #259 in 9.8 for $50, so with low prices like that, there is little incentive to submit DOLLAR comics.

Opinions?

I think dollar comics are more difficult to find in 9.8. Weren't they slightly taller than other books? Seems like a lot of them have problems with the top edge.

I love dollar comics, and pick up the ones with Adams covers whenever I find them.

Not sure how much harder they are to get in 9.8...obviously they tend to have a bindery tear which doesn't preclude them from 9.8 but it may make the journey a little tougher.....

My guess is there are plenty out there but not submitted due to low prices. 50.00 for a 9.8 is about the norm for the Worlds Finest. Superman Family, or GI Combat.

A 9.8 of Detective, HOM, or Unexpected would fetch quite a bit more.

The Adventures are the unknown for me. I rarely see them in any high grade.

I just recently got a super HG runs of All-Out War and Time Warp....they were tougher to find than you might think.

I believe their day will come.

I agree. Some dollar comics had a very limited print run, and the early ones were "fatter" and thus harder in hg. CGC will tend to overlook minor bindery issues...

We have a Dollar Comics appreciation thread in Bronze somewhere if you are interested.

I'm actively pursuing 9.8 Time Warps...and I remember reading the Viking stories in All-Out War... :cloud9:

I think dollar comics are more difficult to find in 9.8. Weren't they slightly taller than other books? Seems like a lot of them have problems with the top edge.

Yep...if the production bindery defects don't get you, then the size of the book (and resulting storage implications) will.

Which begs the question of whether they will one day be collected as a sub-group by many people, just as the 100 Pagers are collected now.

There was a time when the 100 Pagers were not that highly prized, but that all changed when people realized how difficult they were to get in high grade.

Maybe the same thing will happen with DOLLAR comics one day.

Which begs the question of whether they will one day be collected as a sub-group by many people, just as the 100 Pagers are collected now.

There was a time when the 100 Pagers were not that highly prized, but that all changed when people realized how difficult they were to get in high grade.

Blame Greggy!!

They already are, just not on a large scale. And I think that will change. I don't believe they will reach 100 pager heights or anywhere near it. But even today, true NM issues will sell for multiples of guide raw.

Blame Greggy!!

They already are, just not on a large scale. And I think that will change. I don't believe they will reach 100 pager heights or anywhere near it. But even today, true NM issues will sell for multiples of guide raw.

:acclaim:

I know I'm starting to focus a bit more on the Dollar books. I completed the Adventure run a few years back. And those were "re-buys" of ones I bought at the newstand back in the day. I also have the World's Finest, though not in great shape. They're all newstand originals. Batman Family has been on my list and I added the Detective continuation.

I agree. Some dollar comics had a very limited print run, and the early ones were "fatter" and thus harder in hg.

I'm actively pursuing 9.8 Time Warps... :cloud9:

I agree entirely! (thumbs u "Time Warps" = <3

Good luck on that 9.8 run, Sterling! :golfclap:

I agree. Some dollar comics had a very limited print run, and the early ones were "fatter" and thus harder in hg.

I'm actively pursuing 9.8 Time Warps... :cloud9:

I agree entirely! (thumbs u "Time Warps" = <3

Good luck on that 9.8 run, Sterling! :golfclap:

Three years and two 9.6 issues is all I've been able to muster. :doh: