• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay related stuff.

Ebay forum?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Ebay forum?

230 posts in this topic

Here, Here!!!! I think you're absolutely right! Anyone, and I mean anyone found "guilty" of auctioning or selling a comic that has not been CGCed should be condemned and burned at the stake as a heretic! Anyone found "guilty" of running a Private auction should first be disemboweled and then burned at the stake as a heretic. Oh, wait a minute....doesn't Mastro run Private auctions, and Heritage run Private auctions, and....OK, let's change that last edict. Anyone except Mastro or Heritage that runs private auctions should be drawn and quartered and then burned at the stake as a heretic. For that matter, Anyone that sells anything, anywhere that isn't CGCed should face the firing squad. What could Matt have been thinking to commit such a sacreligious act of paganism! And to add to his unspeakable acts of non-submission to CGC, a Private auction as well (so you can't spam all his bidders)! What are we to do? Have faith brothers of the slab that he repents these sins.

Let's see, who do I know that skips the tough questions about their conduct and selectively addresses the minor, debatable ones...

You may as well say that The Mint, Manning, and All-Star have private auctions, also, because you can make up whatever name you want and there's no way for buyers to contact each other. Why do you think Mastro and Heritage have private auctions? Because the very legitimate reason that they do it hasn't been MENTIONED by you as a reason that YOU do it. So I wouldn't compare yourself to them.

Now that it's out that you're silverage-fan, you'd do better to cut your losses and exit semi-gracefully before the dirt comes out from the people you hosed under that account.

Hey, Good Attitude!!! This is exactly the type of thinking, spearheaded by the leading Inquisitor (you, James) that caused folks to be executed for witchcraft. Almost 500 posts of CGC pontification (as if they need you to continually grovel on all fours with butt-siphoning lips pursed every hour in adulation of your plastic God, to mock anything un-CGC as unHoly) and complete memorization of all other posts in the forum??? How unfortunate that THIS is how you spend seemingly every waking minute. There's nothing wrong with being appreciative and recognizing CGC's efforts and positive influence on the hobby through legitimate diligent work as well as the speculative investor's re-emergence in the hobby largely due to the carefully planned hype (excellent showmanship) of the Manning/JPtheMint/Heritage "auctions", but your intense almost Quasi-religious-like fervor for the persecution anything non-CGC is as unsettling as it is amusing.

HEY - register already! Get on board the CGC wagon and I'll give you something plastic to KISS!

I don't think it is FF is putting down unslabbed comics per se....I'm getting that there is just a curiosity of why a high grade key book is not graded. Most buyers are already suspicious of fly-by-night sellers looking to unload junk while making a profit and then giving the "screw you" to those collectors who have been in the business for years and will continue to do so.

If you are a seller of comics and you know about CGC and the multiples of guide that slabbing a book can earn you, wouldn't it be in your best interest to get it graded? An alterior motive that may be looming is that you know there is a chance that the books are restored but are not definite, and you don't want CGC to catch it so you sell online ungraded and honestly would not know for sure if it is restored, thereby seemingly absolving you of all responsibility afterwards? As a seller, if you sell a bum product, you should do all you can to fix your [!@#%^&^]-ups...no ifs, ands or buts...what comes around goes around and by the time it gets back to you, it'll probably be a a class action suit with a charge of seller/internet/mail fraud

I think most of the posters here are just tired of bad transactions and leery of new things that disrupt the comic collecting status quo that has been maintained pre CGC.

I assume you meant post-CGC status quo. Does anyone remember an Ernst Gerber? I've read that he started slabbing (encapsulating) and grading comics with an optional registry service (I assume for insurance records purposes) back in the early 80's! Was there any status-quo maintained in the post-Gerber encapsulation period. How about Sue Ciccone? Hasn't the nation's finest comic archivist offered a restoration check and grade assessment service as well as conservation services for the past 20+ years??? Any post-Ciccone status-quo maintained there? According to Marnin Rosenberg, Sue worked on 6 books that he personally submitted to CGC (not getting on their case, just quoting exactly as stated) that were all found to be restoration free Blue labels (source: this year's Overstreet price guide). History shows that there have always been competent graders. Overstreet isn't competent? He wrote the guidelines on grading. For my money, Rob Roter's one of the most 'in-tune' graders around. His books that he assessed (and he received ALOT of heat from dealers/investors/collectors for having his own grading system) prior to sending to CGC almost always came back RIGHT ON THE MONEY IF NOT HIGHER IN GRADE THAN HIS CALL! The only difference between then and now is that Ciccone, Gerber, Metropolis (they had a registry/grade service as well) didn't have the clout of a publically owned Auction Company (GMAI), the money of a businessman good for 60 million a year in currencey and coin sales (Mega-JP), and now a giant like Heritage behind them!!

That's insane!!!! Granted, this is a tough book to find in that shape (6 on the census at 9.6) but that is already a little over 8X Overstreet NM price! With almost a week left, I can't wait to see what this thing ends up at.

Nope...I did me "pre", but you make a good case for "post"; but shows you how green I am, as the names you mentioned are familiar but I didn't know they tried their own encapsulation ventures and failed at making a go at it. The market is finicky and volatile...I can only say that the timing was right for CGC to make it's entrance and its marketing found more open minds ( and wallets) than any of the aforementioned attempts by comics' big names...

The question I asked is not whether CGC is a credible grading service or not; you're just trying to duck the question, as you always duck questions you don't want to answer. I noticed you didn't even ATTEMPT to address the other questions, which doesn't surprise me, since you haven't had much time to fabricate anything yet. The question was why do YOU--stop shifting the focus to CGC--but why do YOU submit 95% of your high-grade early Marvel comics to CGC for slabbing, but sell a few very high-grade, high-price comics unslabbed? Your very large inventory and sales of CGC comics shows that you're a believer in the higher prices garnered from slabbed comics, despite your attempts to downplay the importance of CGC.

This "witchhunt" wasn't started by me, but I got involved when you zoomed in here to defend yourself with one-sided, selective facts about your past. You've only got 59 feedback on the notch_top account, and your feedback on the "infinitecapacity" or "silverage-fan" accounts doesn't even scratch the surface of the problems you've had. Most E-Bay users are afraid to leave negative feedback, fearing that they'll receive retaliatory negative feedback. We'll have to let the fact that your other accounts are all banned by E-Bay speak for itself.

Since you ducked every question I asked, I'll re-pose them all below except the "were you silverage-fan" question, which I've already had answered by other people. And of course these don't even cover the specifics of your problems under the "infinitecapacity" and "silverage-fan" accounts, just your current "notch_top" account.

• What has anyone said about you in these forums that is false?
  • What lies are you concerned about E-Bay members sharing with each other?
  • Why didn't you send the two Spidey #3s off with the batch of books you recently sent to CGC? You claimed to be getting some books back from them soon in a recent auction.
  • Which E-Bay member bought the Spidey #3 for the auction you ended Wednesday, July the 10th at 4:37 PDT? It looks mighty suspicious for you to end that auction discussed in this forum less than an hour after you post your first "I'm innocent!" message. And why did you use comic-key's scan in the auction?

Pretty amazing what an ASM book with an early Mary Jane appearance goes for now-a-days...especially considering this book went for under 100 dollars less then a year ago. Just imagine what it'd go for if the title gave ANY indication of what it actually is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2119642910

Brian

HoLEE MOther o' ! $710??? NICE! This is the first MJ cover, but was her first appearance in 25? with the Spider Slayer Robot? and wasn't it a cameo appearance much like Wolverine in Hulk 180? Or is that first appearance?

I used to own a copy of that in CGC 9.4, needless to say it sold for a lot less back when I sold it 6 months ago than it probably would now

I think that "the accused" should be allow to "ZOOM in and out of here" when you've once again loaded all your Kangaroos into the jury box, James (or should I say Holden Caulfield?). Or would you prefer to prosecute your inquisitions with the defendant in absentia? There's a book that you should definitely READ before having it CGCed. It's called "I'm OK, You're OK" and it's available on Amazon.com .

The #25 is just a cameo but unlike Hulk 181, it's been decided that this cameo is good enough for a first appearance title. 42 is the 2nd appearance and non-cameo. 12 is the first mention of the name. 700 dollars for a poorly titled 9.6 is amazing, just think if they put up a decent title :\

Brian

O.K. boys, here's the skinny on MJ's appearance's.

Spidey # 25 1st app.Mary Jane Watson (cameo; face not shown)

Spidey # 38 2nd app. (cameo; face not shown)

Spidey # 42 3rd app. (cameo in last 2 panels) 1st time face is shown.

That's the famous scene where MJ tells Pete " Face it Tiger...You just hit the JACKPOT."

Spidey # 59 1st cover appearance.

Which I happen to own in CGC 9.4 grin.gif

Heh 25 and 38 are almost as good as 12..I'm surprised they didn't just decide to call 12 the first appearance even though the only relation to M.J in the whole book is that someone says her name :p

Brian

"have the nuts to sign up and NOT post anonymously"...Yes Bronty, I see your point. I also see that information concerning YOUR name and email are MISSING from your message board profile. As a matter of fact, no info whatsoever is given of any significance in your profile page which is 99% BLANK, but NOW we can take you seriously because we know exactly who you are. You're Bronty!!! You certainly practice what you preach! Which questions would you like me to answer? Be specific. Would you like a complete rundown of everyone that I've ever done business with so you can send endless streams of spam mail inquiries? That seems to be the major issue here. Someone runs a private auction, an Ebay option that it is within everyone's right to use if they see fit, and certain individuals on this board get PMS and start pointing the accusing finger, and yet I don't recall the last time Mastro, Manning, or CG....'er, I mean Heritage divulged to the general public the identities of all their bidders. Why isn't the plastic-way or the highway mob ready to form a lynch mob and demand to see exactly who "won" that 9.2 Spiderman 1 for $42K+ ? Or to see exactly what the relationship between the consignor and the winner is who "won" most of those books in the two Manning Auctions by "paying" crazy high prices. That would make for some absorbing, and interesting reading, don't you agree?