• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

126 posts in this topic

IDon't get me wrong. Indy was worth seeing... but it could never be as good as I hoped it would be, just like I can never be as young as I was when the first film came out and believe me, younger is better.

That's a pretty lame excuse, as there are still lots of big budget movies that surprise me, and bring back that same feeling I had when I was a kid.

I walked out of The Matrix having been just blown away by a real spectacle, and one with a story and some character development/journey. Same with the first Spider-man movie, other than the Green Power Ranger, it was a perfect super-hero adaptation. The first Pirates movie was great, I really liked Shrek, have a huge soft spot for most of the Pixar movies, absolutely loved Fellowship, and even thought Iron Man was pretty good.

So it's not like they're not making any good spectacle movies, it just happens to be that the absolute WORST ones of the last decade have involved George Lucas in some way.

JC, i find your note of interest. in just about every single instance you mention of films that you really enjoyed, you're referencing the INITIAL episode of a character/theme. (Matrix, Spidey, Pirates, Shrek, Fellowship and Iron Man).

The films you mention as those you think of as the WORST of the last decade are all Sequels (The 4th, 5th and 6th editions of Stars Wars and INDY 4).

I get it - you don't like sequels all that much...........I think that's a very common trait...

IDon't get me wrong. Indy was worth seeing... but it could never be as good as I hoped it would be, just like I can never be as young as I was when the first film came out and believe me, younger is better.

That's a pretty lame excuse, as there are still lots of big budget movies that surprise me, and bring back that same feeling I had when I was a kid.

I walked out of The Matrix having been just blown away by a real spectacle, and one with a story and some character development/journey. Same with the first Spider-man movie, other than the Green Power Ranger, it was a perfect super-hero adaptation. The first Pirates movie was great, I really liked Shrek, have a huge soft spot for most of the Pixar movies, absolutely loved Fellowship, and even thought Iron Man was pretty good.

So it's not like they're not making any good spectacle movies, it just happens to be that the absolute WORST ones of the last decade have involved George Lucas in some way.

Time for Ben-Hur II

What I find revealing is how the character of Tony Stark as played by Robert Downey Jr. in Iron Man, is what made the movie for me and how much more I enjoyed it over Indiana Jones, which cost about 45 million more.

Well, despite the consistent criticisms hurled it's way by the CGC Boards, it became the second biggest Memorial Day opening in history (Pirates 3) and made a whopping $151 Million for the total five day opening weekend. reports are that the numbers increased from Thursday to Friday to Saturday, which apparently shows the potential for "legs"..............

I'll probably see it this week one night and hope I don't come a way as disappointed as most of you seem to be............... :wishluck:

Saw it last night and was really disappointed. The opening weekend money is not surprising, but I don't think it will make the kind of money they are hoping for. These big summer movies make a lot of money from people seeing it multiple times which won’t happen with this one. Don’t think this movie will have legs to carry it far into the summer.

The films you mention as those you think of as the WORST of the last decade are all Sequels (The 4th, 5th and 6th editions of Stars Wars and INDY 4).

I get it - you don't like sequels all that much...........I think that's a very common trait...

Wow, what an naive, incredibly simplistic way of looking at things. lol lol lol

It couldn't be that the vast majority of sequels are pure money-making operations, with very little in the way of heart, soul or originality, and are simply made to supply the built-in audience with its fix.

And I like good sequels like Godfather 2, Superman 2, Toy Story 2, Empire Strikes Back, and Indy 3, etc., heck, I'll even watch LW 2 and DH 2, for what reason again?

I'm just amazed that anyone expected anything but dog krap from this movie. Lucas and Ford have been phoning it in for a decade or more and Spielberg is very hit or miss lately.....mostly miss.

Haven't seen it. Won't see it. Ever.

I'm just amazed that anyone expected anything but dog krap from this movie. Lucas and Ford have been phoning it in for a decade or more and Spielberg is very hit or miss lately.....mostly miss.

I think most people (myself included) didn't understand how much control Lucas really had. It's coming out now, but even after Lucas canned screenwriter after screenwriter, I still hoped that Spielberg and Ford would have some influence.

But apparently, Spielberg just gave George carte blanche, and with Koep, Lucas finally found a guy who would just cash his checks and write exactly what Georgie wanted.

I think people were expecting Schindler's List. these superhero/fantasy/sci-fi movies should not be taken seriously. these movies are here to give us fun and get away from the real world for about 2 hours. some people take movies way to seriously.some people in fact take these movies more seriously than thier own lives which is sad.

I think people were expecting Schindler's List. these superhero/fantasy/sci-fi movies should not be taken seriously. these movies are here to give us fun and get away from the real world for about 2 hours. some people take movies way to seriously.some people in fact take these movies more seriously than thier own lives which is sad.

And some people will argue for hours on end about who is stronger Hulk, Thor or Superman?

Comic-people... :flamed:

*Ducks and runs*

And some people will argue for hours on end about who is stronger Hulk, Thor or Superman?

Comic-people... :flamed:

*Ducks and runs*

Galactus :baiting:

and how the :censored: Indy emerged unscathed from the fridge.

To me all of the Indy movies were like that.

Too many scenes that were just too far out there to take the movie at all seriously.

Even in the first one, for example, when he straps himself to the sub periscope and travels hundreds of miles.... Come on! doh!

This "franchise" has just been one broad parody. Cartoonish in the worst sense of the word.

BTW....will anybody note that Harrison Ford is older now than Sean Connery was when the third movie was made? hm

(65 vs. 62 I believe)

Even in the first one, for example, when he straps himself to the sub periscope and travels hundreds of miles.... Come on! doh!

This "franchise" has just been one broad parody. Cartoonish in the worst sense of the word.

But in good movies, these types of transgressions are forgiven by the audience - plus there were like 10 totally idiotic sequences in Indy 4.

And didn't Raiders explain this by being above water for radio transmissions or similar? It was still a bit goofy, but did you check out Mutt swinging through the trees, monkeys in tow?

Did you? doh!

your right, that is exactly what movies are for. doesn't mean they have to suck.

But in good movies, these types of transgressions are forgiven by the audience - plus there were like 10 totally idiotic sequences in Indy 4.

And didn't Raiders explain this by being above water for radio transmissions or similar? It was still a bit goofy, but did you check out Mutt swinging through the trees, monkeys in tow?

Did you? doh!

After he decides to not shoot the KGB Chick with the turret he put his hand on in order to stand up.