• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Line-Up at the Drive-In this weekend

21 posts in this topic

My father, brothers and I are going to see Indiana Jones this weekend. So I check out the local Drive-In and to my surprise the line-up looks great. All 3 movies for $8 total. :D

Movie 1- Indiana Jones

Movie 2- Iron Man

Movie 3- Spider-man 3

Granted its only FM quality sound but it a blast watching movies outdoors on a gigantic screen. The lounge chairs, blankets and boombox make it a family affair and good times to remember. Plus this might be one of the few times I actaully stay to watch all 3 flicks. If we can last till 4am.

Drive-In are awesome. Too bad land value forced alot of owners to selling. At one time within 30 miles of Cincinnati about 6-8 Drive-Ins operated. We are down to 2 and both are on the outskirts of the city.

I still remember seeing the opening scene to Star Wars at the Drive-In. That image is engraved into my head. However, it must have been a rerun because I was about 5 at the time and Star Wars came out 5 years earlier.

The reason the opening scene to Star Wars is so engraved in my head is do to the following.

My dad left us kids in the pea green Station Wagon so he could get us drinks and snacks. Its dark outside and this was the first time I been to a movie. The movie starts and I am in amazement. Then in walks Dark Vader. I about my pants after seeing him and the stormtroopers I jumped in the rear seat section and hide. I was terrified. Even after my dad came back I still refused to turn around. :D

The things we remember.

They sure are a good time..Even if your not watching the movie ;) We had one close down located about 2 blocks away from the office.To build apartments of all things.Now there is only 1 left in Denver and it's surrounding areas.

One of the earliest movies I can remember seeing at the drive-in was The Abominable Dr. Phibes, and the scene where Vincent Price lowers the tube of food and locusts onto the lass in the hospital bed from the ceiling above. Now that's one tailor-made for the drive-in!

Who is watching the movie when you're at a drive-in? :devil:

I remember lots of movies that I saw at the drive in as a young kid as far back as American Graffitti and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. I remember seeing Airport '77 and that awful Star Wars ripoff with Carol Munro and David Hasselhoff called Starcrash while in Florida.

But the best ones were the free ones sitting behind Pizza Hut beside the drive in and turning on the unused speakers so I could listen and watch without a car.

I grew up near a Star-Lite Drive-In in Winnipeg --- as kids, we'd hang out in the empty lot a few hundred yards away and hang out watching the screen. Even without the sound, we always had a blast.

There use to be a drive-in behind my home about a block & 1/2 away. Closed up years ago for a supermarket. Supermarket closed up couple years back. Now the land sits empty. Dang I wish that drive-in was back. I really miss that drive-in.

Gonna see one on my Route 66 trip this summer. The ROUTE 66 drive-in is still in business along the route.

My father, brothers and I are going to see Indiana Jones this weekend. So I check out the local Drive-In and to my surprise the line-up looks great. All 3 movies for $8 total. :D

Movie 1- Indiana Jones

Movie 2- Iron Man

Movie 3- Spider-man 3

Granted its only FM quality sound but it a blast watching movies outdoors on a gigantic screen. The lounge chairs, blankets and boombox make it a family affair and good times to remember. Plus this might be one of the few times I actaully stay to watch all 3 flicks. If we can last till 4am.

Cool. This made me wonder what's playing at my local drive-in:

Movie 1 - Indiana Jones

Movie 2 - Iron Man

But no Spidey 3, and it's $9. Ya got me beat.

http://www.mansfieldmarketplace.com/nowShowing.asp

It was the intermissions that were the fun in the 60s for the kids. A 20 minute break between a double feature to go on the rides and the chu chu train.When the lights in the park started blinking it was time to go back to the car for the second movie.My last drive in was the summer of 68.Night of the living dead. Smithtown AW[all weather] Drive-In...It was in Nesconset Long Island. Some of the best times of my life.