• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Rankings for Dealers

195 posts in this topic

I don't care for the mixing of auction houses,consignment houses and dealers.Apples,Pears and Oranges.

Absolutely agree. You can't mix Comiclink, Heritage, and Pedigree with show dealers, as they have completely different business models. Nothing against any of them - Pedigree's made me a fair chunk of change - but they can go completely without their own inventory and consign everything. By including them in the list, you're, in effect, measuring Harley, just as an example, against every person in the world who has consigned their book to Comiclink.

And it may be personal bias, but I'd definitely add Al Stoltz and Jeff Weaver to this list, also Dale Roberts. Since I'm not buying high grade, I'd add Marc Nathan as well.

I don't care for the mixing of auction houses,consignment houses and dealers.Apples,Pears and Oranges.

....I have to agree,... hm

Yes I have to agree as well. I wouldn't call an auction house a DEALER unless they spend their own money to buy the books to resell. You call them an AUCTION HOUSE. Same with a consignment shop. They have their own names and as a LCS, I spend my money to try and make money by buying product to resell.

I can take consignments and I can run things thru ebay for people but the primary business comes from buying things wholesale to sell retail.

Perhaps you should rename the title to New Rankings for Comic Sources

Better to be named than not named at all I say :headbang:.

I got an honorable mention...don't know about the honorable part, but I am glad I got a mention.

Absolutely agree. You can't mix Comiclink, Heritage, and Pedigree with show dealers, as they have completely different business models. Nothing against any of them - Pedigree's made me a fair chunk of change - but they can go completely without their own inventory and consign everything. By including them in the list, you're, in effect, measuring Harley, just as an example, against every person in the world who has consigned their book to Comiclink.

And it may be personal bias, but I'd definitely add Al Stoltz and Jeff Weaver to this list, also Dale Roberts. Since I'm not buying high grade, I'd add Marc Nathan as well.

and Gary Dolgoff if he already isn't on there

I don't buy many back issues, but from my experience.

Bob Storms --super duper

Doug Sulipa-- super duper

Comiclink-- super pooper

Harley-- duper

Metropolis- super pooper and thats trying to buy something.

Mile High-- ok duper

Heritage-- duper

* duper is good, just not super*

If I still bought back issues, I would shop Dale Roberts- super duper nice.

I've never bought from any of the auction sites. So, no comment on them.

Metropolis does make it easy to search their site and they have a massive selection. A little tighter grading would help.

I bought from Mile High as the first online site I tried a number of years back. But the exorbitant prices have turned me away. I don't even look anymore.

The other I bought from on-line (and in person) was the Bookery. They were very good on their grading. It's been a few years though.

In person, I have to give a big thumbs up to Dale Roberts. Prior to his coming to the Motor City Show, the Bookery was one of my "must stop and buy" booths. He seemed to arrive soon after they left. Dale's always friendly and has some great looking books that are priced fairly.

I just met Steve Ritter at this last Motor City show and was impressed. Good pricing and a willingness to deal a bit.

As for others on the radar but haven't used yet: Bob's High Grade Comics is one I've checked out a bit lately. I was hoping he'd be at the Motor City show. I've only met him once at last year's show and, yes, he was a bit grumpy. But, I'm not sure I'd be chipper all day having to work a comic booth and put up with some of the wackadoos. Bob wasn't receptive to dealing a bit on what I considered an over-priced Fine 6.0 JLA #2 but that is his perogative. I am considering giving his site a chance in the near future.

I've heard nothing but praise about Doug Sulipa but he's got to invest in that website. I'm not one to e-mail a want list because I'm not quite sure what would strike me to buy instead. But it's probably my loss.

...does Dave Kapelka have a web site?...

No.

And I am going to break off the period on your keyboard one of these days. Jessie Cripes Almighty

The Justice League #2 6.0 is a consignment book. I am not always at liberty to negotiate a "fairer" price and at conventions I cannot alway relay a offer to a owner who may not be located in the US.

bob.

FK, I like this idea a lot and I think it will have the added benefit of providing some great information to newer members/collectors looking for a reliable mail order/online comic dealer to work with! Just as a means of balancing this thread out, I added a poll with each named dealer to see how the rest of the boards' thought line up with yours!

Top Ten Dealer's Poll

I'm proctoring exams all day tomorrow, so I'll try to run up an average of where everyone's polling results are sitting. (thumbs u It will give me something to do. :)

The Justice League #2 6.0 is a consignment book. I am not always at liberty to negotiate a "fairer" price and at conventions I cannot alway relay a offer to a owner who may not be located in the US.

bob.

Understood. It's no problem as I was still hoping you'd come to Motor City and will still check out your site in the future. Let me know though, if consignment is the case. I'll understand. (thumbs u

Dave sells out of his ebay store.

Dale Roberts has a ebay store also.

If you really want to test your patience as a dealer put high priced inventory into your ebay store and let offers be made on them.

I haven't come up with a nice way of saying that 1/4 guide on high grade keys is not a "fair" offer and I don't care how long you've been collecting.

7) Bob Storms: Bob is known for his strict grading on raw books and maintains a large inventory beyond just having slabs.

Hmmm. Would anyone here call this a VF/NM????

hang4vfnm.jpg

hang4vfnmbc.jpg

Motor City happens to fall on my wife's birthday. I also saw some of my better customers at the NY show. Now I stopped doing Detroit because it was a marginal show in the past and went back with basically 1/2 off stock and wall books.

Frankly, it doesn't matter what the economy is doing in Detroit if you think that's a barometer of how well you will do sales wise. I've been there when the car industry is booming and crying the blues - didn't impact sales one bit.

I will probably do the show next year and I'm also toying with doing the Mid-Ohio show this year since they moved the date from Thanksgiving.

Dave sells out of his ebay store.

Dale Roberts has a ebay store also.

If you really want to test your patience as a dealer put high priced inventory into your ebay store and let offers be made on them.

I haven't come up with a nice way of saying that 1/4 guide on high grade keys is not a "fair" offer and I don't care how long you've been collecting.

...but 30% is completely acceptable right?

If we're going to play the "let me find the books I think are over graded" game with every dealer, then I could say there's not one dealer out there who doesn't have over graded (and under graded) books in their inventory.