• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadrochs weird find

34 posts in this topic

Nice story Bill, while it would be easy to make fun of your trash spotting skills, I think most everyone here would have sauntered over there to see what was in those crates.

I can spot a stack of comics at 20 paces on a cloudy day

(:

Which brings up the moral dillema if it is ok to cherry pick curbside milkcrates. hm

When I lived in Queens,my neighborhood seemed to have an unusual amount of evictions.We used to go curbside shopping quite frequently. Amongst my better finds were an antique photo of ' The Great New York To Brooklyn Bridge",several Andy Warhol lithographs,untold number of records,cds and videos,and a complete set of that "World without Xavier" crossover.Amongst the funnier finds was a picture frame with a photo inscribed "I'll love you forever",dated one week before it made its way curbside.

Maybe its a New York thing.

I'm back in NY for a while,and today I drove my mother to the doctor.

After dropping her off,I hit 7-11 for a coffee and a paper.I'm driving down a side street looking for a place to park when some curbside garbage catches my eye. I make a u-turn and there sitting in three milk-crates are about 700 comics,all in bags and boarded.There is a woman in the driveway,and I ask her if they are garbage. Turns out she just rented the house and these were in an upstairs bedroom.

I wish I could say they were some great hoard of 50s ECs or even SA Marvels,but they weren't.Best of the lot seems to be a VG Batman 200,the run of Watchman,and a few post 300 Todd Mac Spideys.

Lots of Valiant,Image,90s Xcrap and the like.

The thrill of finding them is worth more than the sum of the books.

Sweet find of 700 bags and boards! Nice!!! ;)

Egg-Xactly.

Not to mention the three milk crates.

:roflmao::applause: I am betting that the initial thrill of what MIGHT be in that pile had to be something! Congrats on your find! I hope your Mom is okay and just the standard Doctor visit.

:banana:Chris

Back about 15 years ago I was working for my brother in laws home improvement company . We had just torn off an old roof and went to the dump to get rid of the tear-off -- low and behold there is a box full of D & D manuals , a few graphic novels and sci-fi hardbacks -- some of this was still shrinkwrapped ---- guess dude or dudette`s mom finally threw it all out when the left for college or something -- ended up making a couple hundred of the "junk" ---Mike

Hey, you never know, could have been the basis for a good steak dinner for the Shadster!!! People tend to leave a ton of meat on the bones!! :baiting:

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you've got a stew going."

Nice story Bill, while it would be easy to make fun of your trash spotting skills, I think most everyone here would have sauntered over there to see what was in those crates.

I can spot a stack of comics at 20 paces on a cloudy day

(:

Which brings up the moral dillema if it is ok to cherry pick curbside milkcrates. hm

Heck yeah, trash is trash!

I'm back in NY for a while,and today I drove my mother to the doctor.

After dropping her off,I hit 7-11 for a coffee and a paper.I'm driving down a side street looking for a place to park when some curbside garbage catches my eye.

I can't get past that line. hm

:roflmao:

i thought the same thing

Why? When I'm meandering around I always keep my eyes open for stuff around me...

I also like to metal detect sometimes...well, there goes all my cred.

Cool, a fellow detectorist!!

(I posted this story ages ago, but it's worth repeating!)

My best find wasn't exactly in the trash, but it was certainly something that wasn't desired by its owner:

It was probably 1981-2, and I was at a used book fair. (It was in Toronto's old Masonic Temple for those who know the city.) Lots of purveyors of moldy paperbacks. Nothing special. But I was walking by one guy's booth and noticed a cardboard box beneath his table. One of the flaps was open and I could see what appeared to be magazines or comics. I was drawn like a moth to the flame. I asked if I could thumb through the box. He gave the box a dismissive look and said sure, whatever. The box was clearly an afterthought.

It turned out it WAS a box of comics, but most of it was junk and in ratty condition. I got about half way through the box when I stopped breathing: Fantastic Four #2, and in VERY nice condition. I didn't know anything about grading back then, but in hindsight it was probably a VF.

I'd tried to be as nonchalant as possible, and also hide the box from the view of anyone else who might wander by and peek at my find. Of course, all I could think about was what else I'd find in this box...

It didn't take long: the next book was FF #1 in similar condition to the #2.

As casually as I could, I asked him how much he wanted for them. He obviously knew they were worth something, but didn't know how much. He ended up selling them to me for $50 for the pair.

I ended up having to sell them (and the rest of my collection) in the mid-80s for financial reasons. I got nowhere near their true value, but I still did just fine. I wish I'd been able to hang on to them, though.

Hey, you never know, could have been the basis for a good steak dinner for the Shadster!!! People tend to leave a ton of meat on the bones!! :baiting:

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you've got a stew going."

a3gsr6.jpg

:roflmao: