• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men variants the definitive set, any takers?

145 posts in this topic

Why do you omit the fact that there is a price difference of the same exact book produced by the same company.

Why do you omit the fact that you can visibly see the difference between the two, and that one is Direct and the other Newsstand.

Hence my comment that you obviously feel that ALL Newsstand editions are variants.

The term "variant" is not defined and different collectors discussing differing opinions on how to define variant is not about right and wrong. For instance, in my mind, different cover art is one of the key characteristics of a "variant." I don't consider the bronze "price variants" to be variants because they were part of a marketing test.

Sorry, but that's just wrong. The Bronze Age took place long before the first "manufactured collectible" different cover came out, so how could you negate the originals, along with the SA price variants, in place of the CA/MA tripe? You can't change time.

It's like saying Spider-man was the first comic book superhero. :screwy:

How about the variant set just contains the variants and all the other... er... "stuff" gets a set of its own?

Would that mean only price & proper cover variants in one set and 2nd prints, pressmans and newstands in another?

I'm not adverse to the idea, just looking for clarification as I think it could be a solution to the 'debate'

How about the variant set just contains the variants and all the other... er... "stuff" gets a set of its own?

Would that mean only price & proper cover variants in one set and 2nd prints, pressmans and newstands in another?

I'm not adverse to the idea, just looking for clarification as I think it could be a solution to the 'debate'

I really don't know. If it wasn't available on the newsstand, on the LCS shelf or at a convention, for example 429, then it should be somewhere else. If you had to send something off to get it, then it is a promotional item in my opinion and not a variant.

I really don't know. If it wasn't available on the newsstand, on the LCS shelf or at a convention, for example 429, then it should be somewhere else. If you had to send something off to get it, then it is a promotional item in my opinion and not a variant.

Perhaps X-Men variant sets as they currently stand with the removal of the #268 MVP,#297 pressman & #320 Wizard and then a X-Men mini set in the mould of say the 'recalled editions' set for Pressmans, So Much Fun, promotional books, etc?

Would that work for all?

221 So Much Fun Reprint was sold in a Toy Store chain that no longer exists. There were about a dozen Marvel/DC, etc. The Marvels were all from the same month of publication.

These books were sold individually and not in some sort of set. So yes, they were available at retail.

Tell that to all the people who own a Wolverine 145 Nabisco mail-away variant. They'd disagree. From a collecting standpoint, and a lot others would agree, I would always want the Pressmans in my Variant collection.

Tell that to all the people who own a Wolverine 145 Nabisco mail-away variant. They'd disagree. From a collecting standpoint, and a lot others would agree, I would always want the Pressmans in my Variant collection.

So would I, was just trying to find middle ground :juggle:, especially as my newly graded #307 pressman has just arrived this minute !! scan available in modern section

Well, as long as we are being frank, I don't want the pressmans in the set or a book that came from a toy store. Plus, if you had to buy a magazine to get a comic book, then it was a promotional item and not part of the set, but it's nothing to argue over. I don't care anymore and quite frankly, no offense Steve, I don't care what the Wolverine collectors think about the Nabisco variant. I'm finished with the discussion. You all do as you please. What's time to a hog?

Why do you omit the fact that there is a price difference of the same exact book produced by the same company.

Why do you omit the fact that you can visibly see the difference between the two, and that one is Direct and the other Newsstand.

Hence my comment that you obviously feel that ALL Newsstand editions are variants.

just wanted to make a quick comment here--

as a completist, I would have to have both the newsstand and the direct edition...

that does not make one or the other a variant, it means there are two editions

the term price variant should relate strictly to the indicia. if the indicia says one price, and the cover of the book says another price, you have a price variant.

I would think all real price variants should be in every registry set.

you guys can debate on all the others all day, but they are a blast to collect

just wanted to make a quick comment here--

as a completist, I would have to have both the newsstand and the direct edition...

that does not make one or the other a variant, it means there are two editions

the term price variant should relate strictly to the indicia. if the indicia says one price, and the cover of the book says another price, you have a price variant.

I would think all real price variants should be in every registry set.

you guys can debate on all the others all day, but they are a blast to collect

:golfclap:

I have started a poll in the poll thread so that we can gauge what the majority of X-Men collectors want, it will be open for one week

MVPS should be in a different category since they aren't true reprints. They were printed years later with no advertising other than in-house Marvel products.

I have started a poll in the poll thread so that we can gauge what the majority of X-Men collectors want, it will be open for one week

MVPS should be in a different category since they aren't true reprints. They were printed years later with no advertising other in-house Marvel products.

Okay, that's it, I officially give up :cry:

Everyone may now cheer wildly :applause: , good-day :cool:

MVPS should be in a different category since they aren't true reprints. They were printed years later with no advertising other in-house Marvel products.

Okay, that's it, I officially give up :cry:

Everyone may now cheer wildly :applause: , good-day :cool:

This whole variant thing is getting retarded. lol

I'm cranky cause it's 4 AM here and a client accidently hit the redial button and called my home... I'm wide awake now.

Pressmans are Pressmans.

So Much Fun is a So Much Fun

Marvel Value Packs are Marvel Value Packs.

They are all different types of reprints or promotional items. They can't be lumped together since they have already been seperated during our discussion / debate /whining yada yada.

doh!

This is meaningless, and I suggest if you want to do something that actually determines the mass opinion, set up a real poll with complete listings, complete descriptions, a proper question, and limited votes.

doh!

This is meaningless, and I suggest if you want to do something that actually determines the mass opinion, set up a real poll with complete listings, complete descriptions, a proper question, and limited votes.

When I started this thread it was meant to bring X-men collectors together to do something good, but I have encountered a lot of hostility and headslapping, please refer to my last post regarding a complete lack of interest now