• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNBELIEVABLE PEDIGREECOMICS OFFERING NEXT MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

96 posts in this topic

I like JLA #1's cover a lot (shrug) might not be action, but it is a striking image

Here's mine. $100k+ anybody?

JLA1.jpg

This one is available for 100K as well.

hawkman1cover-1.jpg

Oh yeah, 1st chess cover? first of all, i don't even know if that's true. And second of all classic cover? hmmmm... no.

As a DC collector, there's several books I'd much rather have than a JLA 1. In fact, I'd rather have a 9.6 JLA 3 --

Sorry, much GL 1, JLA 1 to me is a "fake key" -- it may say #1, but it's no more a true #1 than Hawkman #1 is.

I agree with Brian. For one, Hawkman #1 is a MUCH better cover. JLA #1 is about as silly as DC gets but then I never understood DC or enjoyed it as others do.

Also, JLA #1 is not like ASM #1 as ASM #1 was the second app. of Spidey ever....this is not the case with JLA #1. JLA #1 is the upteenth app. of these characters (they each appeared individually elswhere and several times together bfore this book)...having said that...if this is the highest graded copy of an impossible run in hi grade it should fetch big money for that alone.

R.

Also, JLA 1 to me is like getting ASM 4 or something... Brave and the Bold 28 is the "uber key".

I would equate JLA 1 with ASM 4. First appearance in own title, rather than 4th appearance of the JLA.

I do agree with you, however, that B&B 28 is the uber key.

Tim, you should be barred from this thread :baiting:

Too much of a vested interest to be healthy for one person lol

The JLA will be bought for the label, hands down. It's a pizzing contest. And while it is nice to see such HG copies exist, it is far and away from the best thing since sliced wonderbread. A B&B 28 and 29 in these grades would be amazing however.

I saw the books before they got graded and they are really beautiful copies. Well centered and probably never even opened. Just left sitting in a stack. Somebody with waaaay too much disposable income is going to get these but they really do look the grade.

Oh yeah, 1st chess cover? first of all, i don't even know if that's true. And second of all classic cover? hmmmm... no.

As a DC collector, there's several books I'd much rather have than a JLA 1. In fact, I'd rather have a 9.6 JLA 3 --

Sorry, much GL 1, JLA 1 to me is a "fake key" -- it may say #1, but it's no more a true #1 than Hawkman #1 is.

I have always liked the cover and it is a key and it is not a fake key. It is the first appearance in their own book. That is not unusual and guess what Hawkman #1 is a key as well. People have voted with their own money for years to own it. It is scarce in high grade, it has a distinctive cover, it is important historically, and it is the freaking justice league of america.

I have always liked the cover and it is a key and it is not a fake key. It is the first appearance in their own book. That is not unusual and guess what Hawkman #1 is a key as well. People have voted with their own money for years to own it. It is scarce in high grade, it has a distinctive cover, it is important historically, and it is the freaking justice league of america.

I'm not saying it has no importance, just that it's been over rated. Simply because people have bought really isn't all that meaningful to me. The bottom line is that people like to own "number ones". Why value this higher than Brave and the Bold 30? How is the 4th appearance more valuable than the 3rd? JLA 1 is simply a renumbering starting with one, and people have bought into it. This is why I refer to it as a "fake key". Hawkman #1 is a key? Well by your logic since copies 9.0 and below can't even get guide, people are voting on that with their money.

I agree it is a nice book -- should it be on par with B&B 28? No. It's a 4th appearance... and that's about it.

what I have seen recently, is no matter what "I" think (or whomever), the market will dictate what someone is willing to pay, irregardless of perceived importances, #'s ,etc...

I am sure someone out there can be convinced that $100K is a fair price to pay, whether we think it should go for that or not (thumbs u

FK, While I agree JLA #1 should not be anywhere near on par with any of the previous Brave and Bold issues. JLA one has to get some credit as being the first issue of a dedicated ongoing title.

Should Cap #100 ( a book I know you like) be less signifigant than the 41 issues of TOS that came before it which contained dedicated CA stories? Using Overstreet Cap 100 is second in value to only #59 (which would be #1). #100 would be the equivalent to #42. How many issue #'s 42 of any title are worth just 35% less than the #1 issue?

While there are many variables between BandB and TOS, such as TOS being a shared book with Iron Man, as is the same with TTA and ST, it seems to me the value is in the fact that #1's are dedicated ongoing titles. While I may actually not feel as strongly about that, it appears that the majority do, based on market value.

DO U THINK jla 1 WILL TOP $100k?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100K? Bah..

It might top one meeeelllyun $$$$

DO U THINK jla 1 WILL TOP $100k?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100K? Bah..

It might top one meeeelllyun $$$$

for those that don't speak texan, translation

one meeeelllyun= 10 cans of Spam :luhv:

Also, JLA #1 is not like ASM #1 as ASM #1 was the second app. of Spidey ever....this is not the case with JLA #1. JLA #1 is the upteenth app. of these characters (they each appeared individually elswhere and several times together bfore this book)

Okay, so please sell me an Avengers #1 for super cheap because all of the characters had appeared numerous times before individually. meh

Also, JLA 1 to me is like getting ASM 4 or something... Brave and the Bold 28 is the "uber key".

I would equate JLA 1 with ASM 4. First appearance in own title, rather than 4th appearance of the JLA.

I do agree with you, however, that B&B 28 is the uber key.

Tim, you should be barred from this thread :baiting:

Too much of a vested interest to be healthy for one person lol

If an Overstreet Advisor like Brian wants to call B&B 28 an uber key, who am I to disagree with such an esteemed opinion? :angel:

In the case of JLA 1, they slapped a no action cover on a book that portrays the height of DC silliness (and I like DC silliness)... but $100k or $150k? Are you kidding me... ? I think that should be reserved for the true keys... not books that to me, have limited impact. Would you pay $150k for a 9.6 ASM #4? Probably not. Or an FF #4?

The correct analogy would be ASM #3, since you have to account for AF #15. :baiting:

But I actually wanted to comment on the cover criticisms-- I think a few people in this thread are looking at it exclusively through the Kirby/Marvel lens that says the only effective covers are those with big men in tights beating up on each other. I've been intrigued with the JLA #1 cover image since I first saw it (at age 10 or so) in a DC house ad for its reprint in one of those 1960s JLA 80 Page Giants (how's that for being far removed from the actual issue?) You've got that weird looking alien guy surrounded by the super-hero icons, and he's managed not only to keep them confined to their seats, but to eliminate them one-by-one as he wins the chess match with his opponent, the Flash. What's going on here? :o If only the actual story lived up to the cover tease. :sorry:

Most of the DC covers, particularly those from the desktop of Julie Schwartz, were less about hyping the action inside and more about presenting a puzzle to entice the reader to buy the book. Some say it was a carryover from the SF pulps. In any case, this one always worked for me.

As to whether it is worth $100,000 or a beeellion dollars? (shrug):screwy:

Unless I missed it in another thread, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Doug's news that he is implementing live auctions:

Pedigree Comics, Inc.'s New "Live", Time-Based Auction Feature!!

In conjunction with our 4 year anniversary, PedigreeComics.com is expanding its Web site to include a live auction format. This new time-based feature, named "Grand Auctions", will run for ten (10) days and will include only CGC certified items (comic books and magazines) with a reserve of $1,000 or higher (hence the "Grand" Auctions). The "Grand Auctions" will be held every two months as a separate event on the Web site and the initial Auction will commence on July 16th, 2008.

There will be no Buyers Premium charged for purchases from the Grand Auctions. The Sellers Commission will equal exactly 90% of the sale price for consigned item(s) that sell (winning bid) under $10,000. A Climbing Scale will be in effect for consigned items with a winning bid as follows: 91% Sellers Commission for consigned items that sell over $10,000 and under $25,000; 92% Sellers Commission for consigned items that sell over $25,000 and under $50,000; 94% Sellers Commission for consigned items that sell over $50,000 and under $100,000 and 95% Sellers Commission for all consigned items that sell over $100,000.

Pedigree Comics' CEO and President, Doug Schmell, is now accepting consignments for the upcoming Grand Auction. You can call him at (561) 422-1120 or (561) 596-9111 for any information you may need or with any questions, comments or concerns. You can also email him at DougSchmell@pedigreecomics.com. If you have any financial related questions (terms, forms of payment, consignment checks, etc.) you can also contact Pedigree Comics' CFO and Vice President, Lisa Shapiro, at Lisa@pedigreecomics.com.

Prospective consignors can also upload their own scans, item information, descriptions and reserve amounts for the Grand Auctions by utilizing the Automated Consignment System. It is actually very easy and fun to do. Just register onto the site, click "Customer Page" under "Your Account" and then click "Consignments". You will then be able to enter the Pedigree Comics Consignment Management System (under "Auction Lots") and upload your own CGC certified books and magazines. Pedigree Comics will receive an email automatically once you have uploaded the information and they will then review the information imparted for accuracy. The item will then be added to the upcoming Grand Auction. Please allow at least one week time prior to the scheduled date of the auction for you to consign your own books. You will be amazed how simple it is to utilize the Automated Consignment System.

There will be an amazing selection of high grade and ultra high grade items CGC graded comics in the upcoming Grand Auction, including many Silver and Bronze Age Marvel keys. There will also be some choice early Silver Age DC books. This is one auction that you will not want to miss!