• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNBELIEVABLE PEDIGREECOMICS OFFERING NEXT MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

96 posts in this topic

Nobody is buying JLA #1 because it is the fourth appearance, nor is anybody buying B and B #30 because it is the third appearance...and thats what you have to get away from.

People will buy B and B #30 only if they have both B and B #28 and #29. Nobody sets a goal of owning a B and B #30 as their grail book, but to many people JLA #1 is that book. Thats all I'm saying Brian, take the appearance # out of your equation, because after 1st and 2nd appearances, nobody cares if is the 4th appearance or 40th.

But this is sort of my point... why are people setting JLA #1 as their goal or grail? It's only because it's a number 1 and they want to own the first book of a series... and it's a renumbering... so what about that is really a key... there were three others before it.

The actual #1 seems to be the magic # in this hobby, always has been and probably will always be. I don't make the rules unfortunately Brian :(

Probably has to do with collecting full runs though. A JLA collector needs #1 through whatever to complete a set, the Brave and the Bold books are not a part of that set. An X-Men collector needs #1 through 500+ to complete that set but not a Giant Size X-Men #1 and an ASM collector needs #1 - 568 to complete that set but not neccesarily an AF #15. Sure by omitting those keys you are missing out on some great books but you also have a complete set that is something quite special as well.

My last post on this topic, I can't believed I posted three times in a DC discussion :)

Jim

My last post on this topic, I can't believed I posted three times in a DC discussion

There may be hope for you yet. :kidaround:

The actual #1 seems to be the magic # in this hobby, always has been and probably will always be. I don't make the rules unfortunately Brian :(

Probably has to do with collecting full runs though. A JLA collector needs #1 through whatever to complete a set, the Brave and the Bold books are not a part of that set. An X-Men collector needs #1 through 500+ to complete that set but not a Giant Size X-Men #1 and an ASM collector needs #1 - 568 to complete that set but not neccesarily an AF #15. Sure by omitting those keys you are missing out on some great books but you also have a complete set that is something quite special as well.

My last post on this topic, I can't believed I posted three times in a DC discussion :)

Jim

So my stack of Wolverine #1's dwarf a 9.8 Hulk 181 ????? AWESOME !!!!!!

Hey Jim :hi:

And one other thought. I like the idea of owning Amazing Fantasy #15 for the first Spidey, but could care much less of owning ASM #1.

I agree with Brians point 100% . But also from the completeist angle, that JLA #1 is the most important book to have in grade.

Nobody is buying JLA #1 because it is the fourth appearance, nor is anybody buying B and B #30 because it is the third appearance...and thats what you have to get away from.

People will buy B and B #30 only if they have both B and B #28 and #29. Nobody sets a goal of owning a B and B #30 as their grail book, but to many people JLA #1 is that book. Thats all I'm saying Brian, take the appearance # out of your equation, because after 1st and 2nd appearances, nobody cares if is the 4th appearance or 40th.

But this is sort of my point... why are people setting JLA #1 as their goal or grail? It's only because it's a number 1 and they want to own the first book of a series... and it's a renumbering... so what about that is really a key... there were three others before it.

Brian it's as much a key or as most SA Marvels in the same boat. 1st app. in a title. I'll give it that. Sometimes it's not a logical (yeah, I know...listen to me talking to grown men about collecting kid's funny books) attachment to a book that makes it desireable...it's an emotional one...could be childhood memories or just the fact that it completes a very desireable and collectible run.

Should it break $100,000...yeah..considering how tough these books are in uber grades...I would think so.

R.

Also....and I could be wrong....but the days of picking up a 9.6 ASM # 1 @ 100k are over....as are the days of aquiring an AF 15 9.4 @ 250K. A hundred thousand is just not the benchmark that it once was. Marvel stock is climbing while the rest of the stock market is erratic and the high end comic market seems to mirror that.Comics are gaining more credence as an investment....and lets face it, a 9.6 JLA 1 may be as good as it gets for that title.It may very well be THE BEST....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I don't know who has seen the books, but here are some photos.

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0003-1.jpg

PICT0004-1.jpg

Those books remind me of a moment in Philly last week. I walked up to a booth and asked what sort of books he carried. He replied. then I asked what he had in hi grade. His reply?

"You should walk over to Joe Verenault's booth...he's got books over there you can shave with!"

lol

Those books are so sharp! Thanks for the pics!

R.

on the down side, Im curious if Doug will break even. I figure he paid something like 60, 20 and 30 since we know the seller had 100K offers right off the bat. Any of you ardent JLA collectors willing to make Doug a profit at his costs?

Wow This is a bit tricky I don't think the silver DC has the pull power like the marvel books would be extremely surprised if JLA 1 breaks 75K. Maybe the prime time to move these would be when the movie hipe hit for Aquaman The Movie.

Ok, Foolkiller, noone says you have to be a fan of JLA 1.

But comparing it to Hawkman 1 was just cruel and unnecessary....a total beat down and I think you owe the JLA an apology. Even Aquaman. :baiting:

Okay, but I refuse to apologize to that *spoon* Aquaman.

I wouldn't either. He's probably the least popular "major" character out there.

I remember seeing a Justice League # 1 in fine shape in 1984 as a kid, it was probably priced about same price (roughly)as the a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 back in 84.( ended up buying that very same fantasy #15, years later).

The Justice league gave me the same strange , magical feeling as the Marvel book, in that ill lit, glass case. It still does. Since then, I've seen a helluv' a lot more Fantasy # 15's.

The Justice League # 1 is one great book, period. I personally think it's one of my favorite DC covers. I think B & B # 28 is more important, but JL# 1 ix right there, and one tough book to find in high grade.

It's a Key book. Any frivolous, and uninformed like opinions like that for such a legitimate book, has no business being an over-street adviser.

I don't know who owns the book, nor do I own one currently, but it's a very key issue, period.

Also, in regards to non first appearances, and yet going for big bucks.

Look at Superman # 1, it's more or less a reprint, but it goes for serious cash, more so than Batman #1. Action comics#1 should be valued at 20X more than Superman # 1 , but it isn't.

Justice league # 1 starts a fruitful series, filled with an all star cast, and even a cool cartoon series, years later.

Justice League #1 is damn tough in high grade and has a great cover.

I'm not even a big DC fan, and I can't deny how key JL # 1 is.

Just my opinion though.

Ill be surprised if the #1 sells for 100K... but as we learn every day, anything is possible.

if this book does sell for $100,000, it seems like a pretty risky proposition ( unless the buyer plans on taking it to the grave with him, then it doesn't matter ). Did you guys see in Scoop! that Metro just sold a Batman #1 8.0 OW/W for $100k? ....not a risky proposition there. My point: JLA #1 ain't no X-Men #1 :cool:

I am not a buyer in this price range...too rich for my blood, but unless I was collecting best know copies of #1 keys and semi-keys, this does not seem like the title or book to plunk that much $$ down on, if the goal is to get a healthy return / appreciation rate. If the buyer simply loves the book...then great!

JLA 1 is a silver age book and is not a first app. of any single popular hero. It's not even the first app of anything special. Just the first issue of a great series. Enough with trying to price it side by side with golden age first issues of which JLA 1 has nothing in common. It's not a "great" cover either but to each his own (of the few JLA 1's in registry sets there are only 2 pics from the same guy of JLA 1 what's up with that?).

Now is JLA worth 6 figures? In 9.6 yep if the handful of buyers start bidding it up but it probably won't sell right away if it starts at $100k.

Make a poll and it will show that JLA 1 is considered a silver key. And at 9.6 more than 1 person will pay for it.