• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

I must admit, I’m on vacation this week and completely spaced about this auction... I was thinking it ran until the weekend, but oops, obviously not. The Thursday night close was a little weird.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:11 PM, manetteska said:

This was my surprise. Anyone know why? I don’t keep track of his non-SJ issues. 

Oh and I won two (I think!). 

HA + "first copy we've ever seen/auctioned" can be a recipe for competitive bidding 

On 8/11/2022 at 11:16 PM, OtherEric said:

Did anyone here get the liberty magazine?  It certainly makes me feel the $14.25 I paid for my copy a few years ago was well spent…

Yeah I picked it up to match my CL25! And I WAS feeling pretty good about the price since it finished half of what that Greek magazine did on eBay last year!

On 8/11/2022 at 9:25 PM, 10centcomics said:

Yeah I picked it up to match my CL25! And I WAS feeling pretty good about the price since it finished half of what that Greek magazine did on eBay last year!

Congratulations!

To be fair, the magic words "a few years ago" are key on any Baker or Baker-related purchase... my price shouldn't make you feel bad about yours.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:32 PM, 10centcomics said:

Yeah it finished at $26,400! Sweet vindication for me since a few weeks ago I was savagely attacked on these very boards for paying 5K for a beater copy at the MCS auction:bigsmile:

What?  You paid $5,000 for a comic book?  :makepoint:  :baiting:

Baker war books are also a stepchild to his romance comics. Really, Baker did phenomenal work in the war genre imho and his legacy in the 1950s’ era of war books is only beginning to take shape. 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:22 AM, bronze johnny said:

Baker war books are also a stepchild to his romance comics. Really, Baker did phenomenal work in the war genre imho and his legacy in the 1950s’ era of war books is only beginning to take shape. 

Agreed. His cover to Approved 11 should be up there with Heath's flamethrower covers, which I also love.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:24 AM, Ryan. said:

Agreed. His cover to Approved 11 should be up there with Heath's flamethrower covers, which I also love.

Maybe we should be quiet about this because Baker’s war books are still relatively affordable🤔.

On 8/12/2022 at 4:27 AM, bronze johnny said:

Maybe we should be quiet about this because Baker’s war books are still relatively affordable🤔.

Everyone focus on romance, like mentioned Baker work on other genres. Fightin Marines it’s my favorite non romance. 
Good luck finding VF or above. 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:41 AM, MB1952 said:

Everyone focus on romance, like mentioned Baker work on other genres. Fightin Marines it’s my favorite non romance. 
Good luck finding VF or above. 

Speculators and “investors” know no bounds…

On 8/11/2022 at 8:15 PM, Changer said:

You are right; I didn’t pay attention to this one. It went for more than the CL 25 in relatively the same grade. Maybe the old label helped a little?