• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,511 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2022 at 6:28 PM, BakerFanOne said:

Just acknowledging that I am old.  :shiftyeyes:  What is so cool is seeing so much Baker come out of the woodwork as prices have skyrocketed.  It was very difficult to find Baker via mail order back then.  It was mostly through conventions that you could find the scarcer St. John giants.  Even though very few collectors seemed to be actively seeking Baker in the 90s, there was just not much to buy.  

That would be me too. In the 90’s I was buying as many square bound books as I could find. All titles and genres. Including a lot of St.John’s. I wasn’t a romance collector and never heard of Baker. But, I noticed that many had beautiful GGA covers. I looked for them at shows. Most were very cheap. Guess I was lucky or just bought what I liked. Either way, happy to have them now. 

On 8/2/2022 at 8:53 AM, Robot Man said:

That would be me too. In the 90’s I was buying as many square bound books as I could find. All titles and genres. Including a lot of St.John’s. I wasn’t a romance collector and never heard of Baker. But, I noticed that many had beautiful GGA covers. I looked for them at shows. Most were very cheap. Guess I was lucky or just bought what I liked. Either way, happy to have them now. 

I remember selling you a Baker or two back then via mail order.

On 8/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, manetteska said:

My copy. Some gunk.

63779BA2-EAE7-41AF-BDFC-7645C5922D40.thumb.jpeg.125185102f9d2976916521c7c8cb3909.jpeg

Is your copy trimmed from the right edge Or just factory defect? I ask because i just purchased one that looks similar as yours and i think its trimming but maybe is just a bad  centering?

Edited by Mijael.Levy

On 8/2/2022 at 4:30 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

Is your copy trimmed from the right edge Or just factory defect? I ask because i just purchased one that looks similar as yours and i think its trimming but maybe is just a bad  centering?

Oh wow; I guess I never noticed until now that my copy is completely missing the 10c price on the right side.

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I'm going to bucket it as a SJMc (St John's Miscut) lol. But I really have no idea.

On 8/2/2022 at 4:48 PM, manetteska said:

Oh wow; I guess I never noticed until now that my copy is completely missing the 10c price on the right side.

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I'm going to bucket it as a SJMc (St John's Miscut) lol. But I really have no idea.

Mine is also "miscut" but less than yours . You have by any chance a similar book so you can compare size? 

On 8/5/2022 at 3:57 PM, manetteska said:

I had a Going Steady I didn’t remember buying

Sorry, but this cracks me up.  I am laughing my backside off

On 8/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, Yorick said:
On 8/5/2022 at 5:57 PM, manetteska said:

I had a Going Steady I didn’t remember buying

Sorry, but this cracks me up.  I am laughing my backside off

And it's a post-code! Which is the Baker sub-set I am trying to complete (but my funds won't let me).

On 6/7/2013 at 10:56 PM, Dr. Love said:

In anticipation of the Baker Showcase Heritage Auction, I'm bringing back this nostalgic Dr. Love post from 2013 :preach:

Edited by davet75

On 8/7/2022 at 8:02 PM, szav said:

Strong price on this one tonight at $900.  I think we discussed before and most agreed this was the first official Baker cover published, wonder if OPG or CGC will ever recognize it as such.  That'd be a much cooler label note than "First appearance Ace of the newsreels"

image.png.5c5def395de398f9ca627f5b41248590.png

Maybe Baker's first published character creation?  He created Ato-Man and Bomber Boy, right?   Those were early characters....