• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

Speaking of the TAR 9, I have definitely seen that signature before on romance books. "Nance" or "Nancy". Big big sweeping N. I think it's the same sig on the Saddle Romances 9 in CL's auction tonight.

Look familiar to anybody else?

TeenAgeRomances09f_1175689001_zps81a95ece.jpg

SaddleRomances09f_1198110004_zpsb820c885.jpg

Does look familiar, so I'm sure I've seen it on other romance books. A quick look through my scans, though, doesn't show it on any of the books I have. These unrecognized pedigrees are really interesting.

Speaking of the TAR 9, I have definitely seen that signature before on romance books. "Nance" or "Nancy". Big big sweeping N. I think it's the same sig on the Saddle Romances 9 in CL's auction tonight.

Look familiar to anybody else?

TeenAgeRomances09f_1175689001_zps81a95ece.jpg

SaddleRomances09f_1198110004_zpsb820c885.jpg

These came from the same collection. 2nd owner consigned them. There are more getting graded now.

Just in from Heritage. Seems as if this is a pretty common issue, even in high grade. Anyone know why? hm

lf_zps12fb13b9.jpeg

One supposes a warehouse find. I got my high grade copy off ebay years ago from a fellow boardie, for (gulp) $30.00.

Ooh! Nice grab!

I was thinking a warehouse find or maybe a temporary positive hiccup in St John's spotty distribution. Even Edgar got his hands on a copy!

Just in from Heritage. Seems as if this is a pretty common issue, even in high grade. Anyone know why? hm

lf_zps12fb13b9.jpeg

One supposes a warehouse find. I got my high grade copy off ebay years ago from a fellow boardie, for (gulp) $30.00.

Ooh! Nice grab!

I was thinking a warehouse find or maybe a temporary positive hiccup in St John's spotty distribution. Even Edgar got his hands on a copy!

I don't know for sure, but it seems like there was probably a small warehouse inventory of the book.

I do know that there was a comic store in Massachusetts I used to frequent in the mid-90s that had a ton of rare Holyoke books including multiples of Captain Aero 26, although in low grade. I also remember there were warehouse finds of Thing 16 and Great 1.

I lived in Philly for about 10 years and that is where All Negro 1 was supposedly published. I cannot remember where I saw it, but one comic dealer or collector had about 7 copies of the supposedly super rare All Negro 1. Paper was brittle on all of them but the condition wasn't too bad. I wish I had bought one of them.

Finally, there were a few publisher finds where local printing press workers had saved multiple copies of the same book. I found a small collection in the 90s that had multiples of some Romantic Marriages 23 and 24 with Baker covers as well as some copies of Farmer's Daughter and Strange Worlds. So in conclusion, I would say that is probably the case here.

Nevertheless, a great pickup and congrats!

So I sent a hundred bucks off and took a gamble.

Waited a couple weeks, wasn't sure if I was going to get them, had no idea what they would look like.

Found the package stuffed in the mailbox. No cardboard, just in an envelope with no protection.

Well, I can't complain. (thumbs u

Cinderella_Love_zps63606289.jpg

Edited by Rip

Waited a couple weeks, wasn't sure if I was going to get them, had no idea what they would look like.

Found the package stuffed the mailbox. No cardboard, just in an envelope with no protection.

For $100.00 you can't go wrong. My mailperson use to fold envelopes when they could. My TR 43 still has the "sub" crease.

Found the package stuffed the mailbox. No cardboard, just in an envelope with no protection.

Whoa! Great score for $100. eBay?

Awesome!! Reminds me of the good old 90s when Baker was available at a good price. Congratulations.

Awesome!! Reminds me of the good old 90s when Baker was available at a good price. Congratulations.

Back in the good old 90s, I used to sell all of my romance comics to a guy at Showcase comics.

He moved away and I was stuck with a big bunch of comics with Baker covers.

5560149342_220a4e2012_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Back in the good old 90s, I use to sell all of my romance comics to a guy at Showcase comics.

He moved away and I was stuck with a big bunch of comics with Baker covers.

5560149342_220a4e2012_z.jpg

Man, I hate to see a good guy treated like that! As a favor, I'll take them off your hands. (Just this once, though -- don't try to exploit me!)