• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

Here's a recent purchase. Really love the coloring and composition on this cover. As usual, my scanner washes out the color but in person they are very deep.

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

I have two copies (beat and beater :D ) Yours is a really nice one.

Here's a recent purchase. Really love the coloring and composition on this cover. As usual, my scanner washes out the color but in person they are very deep.

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

I have two copies (beat and beater :D ) Yours is a really nice one.

Ditto. And very mature cover for the time.

Romance experts. Which was the first tear drop cover in comics?

Oh curious one, do not disturb the shade of Matt Baker by engaging other spirits. In the Baker thread, there can be only one. All else are number two, or less.

The answer you seek lies

HERE

It's actually a good question as it pertains to Baker.

The answer is very very few - four, to be exact (not including side panels). Out of many, many covers. In order of appearance they are

- Diary Secrets 12 - June, 1952. Not a drawn cover per se, some would say not even a Baker.

- True Love Pictorial 2 - Feb, 1953

- Wartime Romances 15 - May, 1953

- Diary Secrets 20 - Sept, 1953

TrueLovePictorial02fc100_zps34834bef.jpg

Baker and St. John bucked the trend that was so early established by Kirby at Prize, and copied so many times afterwards that a crying woman and the romance genre became inextricably linked. Consider this piece, one of Roy Lichtenstein's earliest and most famous works: Drowning Girl (1963). A swipe of DC's Secret Hearts 83, btw.

Roy_Lichtenstein_Drowning_Girl_zps99c212cb.jpg

The flavor of the St. John line, due in large part to Archer St. John's editorial direction, is very fully covered in the marvelous book, Romance Without Tears.

The answer is very very few - four, to be exact (not including side panels). Out of many, many covers. In order of appearance they are

- Diary Secrets 12 - June, 1952. Not a drawn cover per se, some would say not even a Baker.

Baker and St. John bucked the trend that was so early established by Kirby at Prize, and copied so many times afterwards that a crying woman and the romance genre became inextricably linked. Consider this piece, one of Roy Lichtenstein's earliest and most famous works: Drowning Girl (1963). A swipe of DC's Secret Hearts 83, btw.

The flavor of the St. John line, due in large part to Archer St. John's editorial direction, is very fully covered in the marvelous book, Romance Without Tears.

Andy, you are a wealth of knowledge!

Hey Roland!

Burning the midnight oil, babysitting that DD auction? Shameless plug! GLWTS

the real treasure-house is your fabulous romance collection. Believe me, folks, the Bakers are just one great part of something larger...I knew if anyone would have the books I mentioned it would be you!

Andy, If people were still saying "You Da Man!" I would say "You Da Man!" (worship)

Does this one count as a "tear drop"? The gentleman's mom has a hankie, so maybe... If not, the tape pull by her "behind" makes me want to shed a tear... :facepalm:

PictorialRomances19_zpsab18814c.jpg

I think that may be an old-fashioned signifier of an upper-class woman having the "vapors." :D