• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,586 posts in this topic

The ears are drawn differently between the two. I don't know if it's true of Baker, but many artists will draw the ears the same way to save time.

I don't get a strong Baker vibe from the scan of the AP AT LS, though someone could have imitated/swiped from Baker for the man's facial features.

The ears are drawn differently between the two. I don't know if it's true of Baker, but many artists will draw the ears the same way to save time.

I don't get a strong Baker vibe from the scan of the AP AT LS, though someone could have imitated/swiped from Baker for the man's facial features.

That's the thing. I think we are pretty sure that were artists consciously imitating his style. Some work might also have been joint -- although Baker seems to have typically worked alone in his apartment during the St John period, which makes collaboration a bit less likely.

One point in favor of its being Baker is that if it's not, it was the only non-Baker line drawn cover on a St John romance book ... or so I read or so somebody said on this thread. I'm inclined to say it's Baker.

That's the thing. I think we are pretty sure that were artists consciously imitating his style. Some work might also have been joint -- although Baker seems to have typically worked alone in his apartment during the St John period, which makes collaboration a bit less likely.

One point in favor of its being Baker is that if it's not, it was the only non-Baker line drawn cover on a St John romance book ... or so I read or so somebody said on this thread. I'm inclined to say it's Baker.

And that strikes me the same way as saying, "Fantastic Four 36 is the only one of the first 100 FF issues not penciled by Jack Kirby".

And that strikes me the same way as saying, "Fantastic Four 36 is the only one of the first 100 FF issues not penciled by Jack Kirby".

Maybe Jack did do it! :sumo:

Based on the fingers on that cover, I'm revising my opinion of the ATAP Love Story #2 to being by Baker...

Really? Because, I believe the hands are the least convincing evidence to support APATLS2 being by Baker! (And I'm one of the strongest advocates of Baker's participation in the aforementioned cover.)

Well, the faces are similar too, but the fingers are identical. So, maybe two people worked on both covers...It just seems to have the same gestalt on each book...

Looking at the womens' left hands, I do see a similarity in the way the fingers overlap. It's the awkward composition of the right hand of the APATLS woman that bothers me most. It's too bad we can't see any thumbs on the hands of the TAR woman, for the purpose of comparison. As for the gestalt, are you sure that's not just an overall similarity of composition and pose?

I'm not looking at the ears or the hands or any one thing. I'm looking at the whole picture, and I see on the left a drawing where the faces have life and expression and feeling and a sense of beauty. The one on the right is lifeless, stiff and devoid of expression or any true feeling. I didn't need any book to tell me the one on the right is not Baker. It is a sham and a counterfeit.

Based on the fingers on that cover, I'm revising my opinion of the ATAP Love Story #2 to being by Baker...

Really? Because, I believe the hands are the least convincing evidence to support APATLS2 being by Baker! (And I'm one of the strongest advocates of Baker's participation in the aforementioned cover.)

Well, the faces are similar too, but the fingers are identical. So, maybe two people worked on both covers...It just seems to have the same gestalt on each book...

Looking at the womens' left hands, I do see a similarity in the way the fingers overlap. It's the awkward composition of the right hand of the APATLS woman that bothers me most. It's too bad we can't see any thumbs on the hands of the TAR woman, for the purpose of comparison. As for the gestalt, are you sure that's not just an overall similarity of composition and pose?

I'm not looking at the ears or the hands or any one thing. I'm looking at the whole picture, and I see on the left a drawing where the faces have life and expression and feeling and a sense of beauty. The one on the right is lifeless, stiff and devoid of expression or any true feeling. I didn't need any book to tell me the one on the right is not Baker. It is a sham and a counterfeit.

Don't be shy, man- out with it! What do you really think?

IMHO!

IMhO!

(thumbs u

I just think it's great that Baker's work (and even the work of his imitators!) can still illicit such spirited discourse.

Teen. Romances 9 (CGC 5.5) at $1027 on the 'Link and still going. :cry:

It's not for me but I reckon that book has plenty of room to go further. And further still. Better tighten your belt Rick!

No thanks!!

It's not for me but I reckon that book has plenty of room to go further. And further still. Better tighten your belt Rick!

Can't wait to see the fireworks on the Cinderella. I think the fact that it's not doing the traditional 95% runup in the first 2 hours is very auspicious. And you certainly gave the world a chance to take it off the table well before this, Michael. I've never been so willing to see a book sail clean out of sight! :wishluck:

Can't wait to see the fireworks on the Cinderella. I think the fact that it's not doing the traditional 95% runup in the first 2 hours is very auspicious. And you certainly gave the world a chance to take it off the table well before this, Michael. I've never been so willing to see a book sail clean out of sight! :wishluck:

+1

:popcorn:

I think I'll do one of those too, that looks like fun...stay tuned.

So, how high do you guys think that CL25 will go? I already have mine, so the higher the better. See, collecting is a two-edged sword...I want to buy low, but i like seeing the value of MY books escalate...is that hypocritical? :roflmao:

I think I'll do one of those too, that looks like fun...stay tuned.

So, how high do you guys think that CL25 will go? I already have mine, so the higher the better. See, collecting is a two-edged sword...I want to buy low, but i like seeing the value of MY books escalate...is that hypocritical? :roflmao:

It's not hypocritical if that's what everybody wants. :cool:

Ken

One more book and I'll have True Love Pictorial 2-11. I'll set up another group shot, then.

I think the CL 25 might even approach 2k. On eBay last year, a CGC 6.0 went for $2100. (am I remembering right?). This one's a half a grade lower, but I think there's going to be so much competition that it will set a new record.