• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Like Patricia and men, Rick subscribes to a catch and release philosophy with comics.  

:signfunny:  (We kid, of course.  We kid because we love.)   

I was just telling one of my books as the other day "You're only staying for a month Batman 181, after all we're not engaged." Poison Ivy was shedding a tear. :$

It's not that I am not faithful to the books- they just don't like my comic closet and want to live in @Comcav vast oasis with lots of friends or in @n2wdw awesome comic room.  I am doing it for the comics. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

8 hours ago, comicnoir said:

This just arrived.

pictorial romances 5 9.0.jpg

man that's some hellified book, Ron - one of my top 5, perfectly executed with all the proportions right on, sometimes a challenge for Matt.  And the boys and girls are all looking good.  A lot of green, not a color anyone works much with, real hard to pull off - but they did it.

And so did you!  Edged out the 8.5, that must of been a rush when you read it online, eh? 

3 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

man that's some hellified book, Ron - one of my top 5, perfectly executed with all the proportions right on, sometimes a challenge for Matt.  And the boys and girls are all looking good.  A lot of green, not a color anyone works much with, real hard to pull off - but they did it.

And so did you!  Edged out the 8.5, that must of been a rush when you read it online, eh? 

Hi Andy, I waited until the package arrived. I make it into a ritual like when I was a kid at Christmas, taking the book out, not quite seeing the grade, a tease. Most of the time I'm elated, but there are letdowns.

Edited by comicnoir

7 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Hi Andy, I waited until the package arrived. I make it into a ritual like when I was a kid at Christmas, taking the book out, not quite seeing the grade, a tease. Most of the time I'm elated, but there are letdowns.

I used to do the exact same thing, examining the slabs in their entirety, but avoiding a glimpse of the label, saving that for last.  

Now the suspense is too much for me (or perhaps I've been let down one too many times).  Now I just dispassionately peruse the grades online.  

10 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I used to do the exact same thing, examining the slabs in their entirety, but avoiding a glimpse of the label, saving that for last.  

Now the suspense is too much for me (or perhaps I've been let down one too many times).  Now I just dispassionately peruse the grades online.  

Same here, except I peruse with passion! :)

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

12 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Same here, except I peruse with passion! :)

I know this view will find itself in the minority here, but I tend to have greater passion for my raw books.  A CGC grade is just an arbitrary number, often arbitrarily assigned, it seems. 

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I know this view will find itself in the minority here, but I tend to have greater passion for my raw books.  A CGC grade is just an arbitrary number, often arbitrarily assigned, it seems. 

:whatthe: :taptaptap: hm

16 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Thats how i do it too ! and if i have 15 books i limit myself to just looking at one per day !! (ok sometimes two)

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

:whatthe: :taptaptap: hm

There are circumstances where sometimes this must be literally true; let's say you're grading a book, and you've decided it's somewhere right in the middle between a 9.0 and a 9.2... how do you decide which way it falls, if you can find nothing to break the tie, otherwise?  You might just flip a coin.  

The ultimate in ridiculous has got to be the 9.9 grade: 

10.0 = Perfect 

9.9 = Perfect minus 

:screwy:

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

There are circumstances where sometimes this must be literally true; let's say you're grading a book, and you've decided it's somewhere right in the middle between a 9.0 and a 9.2... how do you decide which way it falls, if you can find nothing to break the tie, otherwise?  You might just flip a coin.  

The ultimate in ridiculous has got to be the 9.9 grade: 

10.0 = Perfect 

9.9 = Perfect minus 

:screwy:

I think they still use three graders per book (or two graders and a "finalizer"), so there are some checks on arbitrary decisions.  That's not to say, of course, that you couldn't receive a book they graded 9.0 and immediately send it back in and have it come back as a 9.2 or 8.5.

7 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Thats how i do it too ! and if i have 15 books i limit myself to just looking at one per day !! (ok sometimes two)

Man, that's self-restraint.  I generally check my inventory list at least a couple of times a day -- more if I have books that are already at the "Graded/Quality Control" stage.  

2 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Tried to post Indians on the Warfront...20170918_113834_zpsjchjjb0c.jpg

Ok, not romance but finally found one of these!

If you can download these images, you can post them directly to the boards.