• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

Just now, 29dukedog said:

That's probably the best way to put it. 

Should my copy and I worry about being out-graded?  

Probably not, but I have my fingers crossed.  It certainly will not present as nicely as yours.  How harsh do you think CGC will be on a factory miscut?

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

Probably not, but I have my fingers crossed.  It certainly will not present as nicely as yours.  How harsh do you think CGC will be on a factory miscut?

That's a question best answered by someone with much more CGC experience than I have.  

12 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
15 minutes ago, Yorick said:

That's a question best answered by someone with much more CGC experience than I have.  

Here's an example where they weren't too harsh on a really bad miscut.

dia420a_zps5a33aa9f-1_zps61c515cc.jpg

20 minutes ago, Yorick said:

In my experience, Secrets of True Love is a rare Baker and I couldn't be happier with the copy I won on ebay recently.  The seller did not post very good pictures.  I attribute that to the very reasonable sale price.

Secrets.JPG

That's a sweet copy- one of the best I've seen.  Everyone seems to think this is a super scarce book, but I've owned four, and in the past 15 years I've seen over a dozen copies total, easily.   

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Sqeggs: did you pick up the CBCS copy on Comiclink?  Highest graded copy I've seen for sale....  I should have bid higher, but I will be happy to learn that I lost to you.

TLP9 is not that rare, but it IS rare in mid grade or higher.  It is one of my favorite covers and I have several copies.  About a year ago I submitted my best copy (at that time) for grading and it came back a 2.0.  I have a newly obtained copy in Sarasota right now that I hope will validate Dukedog's prediction...  we shall see.

Yep.  That was me.  It went cheaper than I had expected.  As I remember, I put in a big snipe, so one of us would have ended up paying a lot more if you had bid!

4 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
28 minutes ago, Yorick said:

In my experience, Secrets of True Love is a rare Baker and I couldn't be happier with the copy I won on ebay recently.  The seller did not post very good pictures.  I attribute that to the very reasonable sale price.

Secrets.JPG

That's a sweet copy- one of the best I've seen.  Everyone seems to think this is a super scarce book, but I've owned four, and in the past 15 years I've seen over a dozen copies total, easily.   

That is very nice.  I can't seem to find a scan of my copy, but it's not as nice.

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I actually like this cover. Great night battle scene. Have never seen a copy. I had no idea the Baker Canteen Kate stories went into the Charlton run. 

all reprints, right down to the indicia :) cover is st john #6-interior from st john #3

54 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Secrets.JPG

Trimming varies greatly on this book.  Below is my very first copy, which I've kept even though nicer copies have gone through my hands... because it's one of the widest copies I've seen.  (Your copy is slightly wrapped around to the left, yet mine has slightly more of the art preserved on the right.  If all copies were equally wide, mine would have the girl's ear chopped off.  And I've seen that on a copy or two.) 

sotl1_pb.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
added desc.

Back today after surviving the wet clutches of Irma.

IMG_1473.thumb.JPG.2b437d264dc8b866d0e5681ed622b51e.JPG

IMG_1476.thumb.JPG.4c7f303bf70037bb6ec45325c08d378e.JPG

The colours look look better in person (phone camera mutes them) but there is no fading or tape residue. There is a stain in the lower left corner which brings the grade down. As 4.0's go this one looks pretty  solid for the grade.

20 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Which is funny because the stain on this book doesn't bother me as much as some of the dust shadows or foxing I've seen on books several grade points higher.

IMO, your 4.0 has better eye appeal than my copy, which is a liberated CGC 5.0. 

ds17b.jpg

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Trimming varies greatly on this book.  Below is my very first copy, which I've kept even though nicer copies have gone through my hands... because it's one of the widest copies I've seen.  (Your copy is slightly wrapped around to the left, yet mine has slightly more of the art preserved on the right.  If all copies were equally wide, mine would have the girl's ear chopped off.  And I've seen that on a copy or two.) 

sotl1_pb.jpg

That is a big problem with TAR 31.  I've only seen one or two copies that have nice centering, and with the word balloon on the far left side it really ruins the visual appeal on mis-centered copies.

I checked my other Secrets copy , and it looks as if I have more of the woman in that one.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to see the original full-bleed artwork?!!  Maybe I'll photoshop together the cut margins of my copies and have a nice full poster image printed...

Secrets of True Love 1.JPG

This is an invitation for all you Baker fans to find our thread entitled, "Baker's Best Covers (Vote Now)"... and vote now!  

At this point, we just need your three favorite covers, in order, which will be used to assemble a ballot of 10 covers.  (Those 10 will eventually be ranked by popular opinion to produce a traditional "Top Ten" list.)  

If you haven't done so already, please participate!  Thanks!   

Link to Vote Now  

tar43_Rev_Values.jpg

One of the more obscure St. John Bakers.  I don't yet have it in hand.  It will be interesting to see whether the date in the indicia is 1954 or 1955.  Seems to be some confusion in the sources on that point.

WldBoy_13_70_zpsx6ztbqqh.jpg

On 9/19/2017 at 5:15 PM, Yorick said:

That is a big problem with TAR 31.  I've only seen one or two copies that have nice centering, and with the word balloon on the far left side it really ruins the visual appeal on mis-centered copies.

I checked my other Secrets copy , and it looks as if I have more of the woman in that one.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to see the original full-bleed artwork?!!  Maybe I'll photoshop together the cut margins of my copies and have a nice full poster image printed...

Secrets of True Love 1.JPG

Might as well add mine. Not as rare as some think.

comsecretsoftruelove.jpg