• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:01 AM, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, some poor sap paid through the nose for this one, but it's definitely brighter. 

lf_zpsgd8t28c9.jpg

Looks only a bit nicer than one of my undercopies.  Maybe I should put it in the next Heritage auction.

Auth.PoliceCases6.jpg

Edited by RareHighGrade

picked this up recently, great read on Baker's  history (over 50 pages) and some photos I've never seen before. No I do not have the Baker book. :) (yet)

AlterEgo047.jpg

3 minutes ago, fett said:

picked this up recently, great read on Baker's  history (over 50 pages) and some photos I've never seen before. No I do not have the Baker book. :) (yet)

AlterEgo047.jpg

It is a good read.  Some (but, I think, not all) of the material is reproduced in The Art of Glamour book.  In one of his contributions to this issue, Alberto Becattini makes the case for Baker drawing the cover to Negro Romances 4, but, alas, I don't think his argument is convincing. 

4 minutes ago, fett said:

Great issue!  (thumbsu  Great reference material.

This finished on last Sunday's Ha. Found out about it too late.

They give the credit to Baker, but he doesn't sign, unlike his other Flamingos.

I suspect it might be a Baker/Thorton hybrid as Thorton was being groomed to take over the series.

Any thoughts?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/matt-baker-flamingo-daily-comic-strip-original-art-dated-8-1-phoenix-features-c-1953-/a/121740-11006.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

1 hour ago, comicnoir said:

I suspect it might be a Baker/Thorton hybrid as Thorton was being groomed to take over the series.

Any thoughts?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/matt-baker-flamingo-daily-comic-strip-original-art-dated-8-1-phoenix-features-c-1953-/a/121740-11006.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I saw that but backed off bidding on it because of the significant staining.

I did take it as a Baker, but checking the attributions in The Art of Glamour book, they have Thornton taking over the strip July 21, 1952. Heritage has the date as c. 1953.  Was the strip being published in 1953?

The staining plus the questions about the attribution make the hammer price seem pretty high, although it is a nice piece.

5 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Any thoughts?

I had every intention of going for this but the staining turned me off. 

I also would have called out around $1k plus BP.  Still a very cool strip. 

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Any thoughts?

I had every intention of going for this but the staining turned me off. 

I also would have called out around $1k plus BP.  Still a very cool strip. 

I was the underbidder, but one more bid would've put it over $1,500. (w/BP), and that was the limit I'd set.  It's a great strip with a smokin' brunette in all four panels, and all Baker, IMO.  I guess my first Baker OA will have to be something else.  :sorry: