• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,588 posts in this topic

Yowza! The SC eBay auctions brought in some very strong prices for Baker books -- at any rate, they seemed strong to me as I watched my bids get washed away!

Some highlights:

Cinderella Love 25 6.0 OW/W $2,187.87 (not bad for a book that Overstreet doesn't even break out!)

Giant Comics Edition 12 4.0 (OW/W) $2,577.00 (not bad for a book with a chunk missing from its cover)

Diary Secrets 13 9.2 White $1,999.00

Teen-Age Temptations 8 8.5 (OW/W) $1,431.76

Teen-Age Temptations 1 8.5 (OW/W) $1,425.00

All told the 18 Baker books went for $16,594. Congrats to the consignor!

Anyone else surprised by these prices?

Wow! Maybe I should get some of these graded.

5560149342_220a4e2012_z.jpg

Selling them to me raw is another option. hm

I'll sell you mine raw - at the right price! lol (Not really.)

C'mon. You know you're getting tired of them! :D

I'm glad I bought some of mine when I did. There are a few stragglers that I doubt I'll fill in. There are many I'd like to upgrade but with the current prices I think I'm happy to keep my low grade copies.

Yowza! The SC eBay auctions brought in some very strong prices for Baker books -- at any rate, they seemed strong to me as I watched my bids get washed away!

Some highlights:

Cinderella Love 25 6.0 OW/W $2,187.87 (not bad for a book that Overstreet doesn't even break out!)

Giant Comics Edition 12 4.0 (OW/W) $2,577.00 (not bad for a book with a chunk missing from its cover)

Diary Secrets 13 9.2 White $1,999.00

Teen-Age Temptations 8 8.5 (OW/W) $1,431.76

Teen-Age Temptations 1 8.5 (OW/W) $1,425.00

All told the 18 Baker books went for $16,594. Congrats to the consignor!

Anyone else surprised by these prices?

Wow! Maybe I should get some of these graded.

5560149342_220a4e2012_z.jpg

Selling them to me raw is another option. hm

I'll sell you mine raw - at the right price! lol (Not really.)

C'mon. You know you're getting tired of them! :D

There is more to romance than just Baker. How about prices for Schomburg covers and Western Romance?

5559572019_e1fdfd6dee_z.jpg

8212524548_c53c23474f_c.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

meh I am sure somewhere another copy will turn up. I am curious to read it.

Pick up a copy of Cinderella Love #6 (Ziff Davis). It's the exact same interior, and almost certainly a whole lot cheaper than #25.

meh I am sure somewhere another copy will turn up. I am curious to read it.

Pick up a copy of Cinderella Love #6 (Ziff Davis). It's the exact same interior, and almost certainly a whole lot cheaper than #25.

Thanks for the tip.

Question for Baker fans: Authentic Police Cases 18 (with a Baker cover and one Baker story) is a Gerber 8. I had been skeptical of that designation because most issues of that comic seem relatively easy to find.

But after trying and failing to track down a copy, I'm starting to think the book is legitimately scarce. Agree? If so, anyone know why the issue should apparently be so much scarcer than the surrounding issues?

Question for Baker fans: Authentic Police Cases 18 (with a Baker cover and one Baker story) is a Gerber 8. I had been skeptical of that designation because most issues of that comic seem relatively easy to find.

But after trying and failing to track down a copy, I'm starting to think the book is legitimately scarce. Agree? If so, anyone know why the issue should apparently be so much scarcer than the surrounding issues?

No known reason for it's scarcity, but it is tough. A copy went last year on Heritage for under $100.00. That's the only one I've seen. Maybe people didn't like the picture of the old lady tied up.

No known reason for it's scarcity, but it is tough. A copy went last year on Heritage for under $100.00. That's the only one I've seen. Maybe people didn't like the picture of the old lady tied up.

Must have missed that one on Heritage. Possible that newsstands (or readers) objected to the cover image, although there was certainly a lot of rougher stuff on covers in the early '50s.

I don't see why you would want APC 18. It is a pretty ordinary cover for Baker. APC 14 and 15 are much better. (shrug)

Edited by BB-Gun

Must have missed that one on Heritage. Possible that newsstands (or readers) objected to the cover image, although there was certainly a lot of rougher stuff on covers in the early '50s.

I don't see why you would want APC 18. It is a pretty ordinary cover for Baker. APC 14 and 15 are much better. (shrug)

That's why I didn't up my bid. But it is scarce.

I want 'em all! :D

Hey Sqeggs

Nice book. As I recall, some of the other Hillmans including this one are reminiscent of Baker, but the answer is - no Hillman for Baker. In questions like these, while it may not be absolutely definitive, the Baker Index in Alter Ego #47 is close enough. Indispensable. When Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr participates in the indexing it's the real deal. They do have a question mark on that old favorite did he or didn't he? Negro Romances 4.

The other must have resource - Benson's St John checklist

http://www.fantagraphics.com/downloads/stjohnchecklist.pdf

This is old old old news to some or most but thought I'd restate just in case.