• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,588 posts in this topic

This is the second APC 18 that I have owned. This one was an upgrade from a real low grade copy I traded away years ago. I would say it is a HTF issue.

Has a decent Baker story "Murder in Mink".

photo AUTHPOLICECASES18_zps74abc406.jpg

Cannot go wrong with Cinderella Love. While 25 is the holy grail, these other issues aren't slouches either.

photo CINDLOVE27-1_zps2606713f.jpg

photo CINDLOVE28-1_zpsdf5072dd.jpg

photo CINDLOVE29_zps15c771cb.jpg

Those CL covers are great. All of the Baker covers in that run seem pretty scarce.

Always "liked" this cover b/c of the violence inherent in the main image. People sometimes have the wrong impression about Romance comics. The best romance stories are those who portray people's raw emotion and lack of self-control. This cover is an open door into that undiscovered world.

Always "liked" this cover b/c of the violence inherent in the main image. People sometimes have the wrong impression about Romance comics. The best romance stories are those who portray people's raw emotion and lack of self-control. This cover is an open door into that undiscovered world.

With a title like Teen-age Temptations, St. John's was definitely trying for a darker, more adult take on the romance genre.

A recent acquisition.

teen-agetemptation1.jpg

Congratulations! I have a raw 1.0 of this outstanding Baker cover.

Matt Baker drew romance comics with dynamic natural poses. Other great artists such as Bill Ward and Wally Wood drew figures that looked stiff compared to Baker.

Great pickup. Tied with the one currently for sale on Metro for highest graded.

Thanks. I was the underbidder at ComicConnect when that other copy was at auction. I finally got a copy.

My copy presents a little better on the front cover, but it has a miscut.

Just a stray thought after following a bunch of Baker auctions: Books with multiple Baker stories but no Baker cover sell for less, often much less, than books with a Baker cover, even if he did none of the interior art. In other words, buyers are often willing to trade up to 20 pages of Baker interior art for a Baker cover. Another Boardie suggested to me that some collectors won't even look at a book unless Baker did the cover.

I suppose with the success of CGC, it's only to be expected that we would end up living in a cover-centric world these days.

I know, I know: In other news, the Titanic sank. :tonofbricks:

Just a stray thought after following a bunch of Baker auctions: Books with multiple Baker stories but no Baker cover sell for less, often much less, than books with a Baker cover, even if he did none of the interior art. In other words, buyers are often willing to trade up to 20 pages of Baker interior art for a Baker cover. Another Boardie suggested to me that some collectors won't even look at a book unless Baker did the cover.

I suppose with the success of CGC, it's only to be expected that we would end up living in a cover-centric world these days.

I know, I know: In other news, the Titanic sank. :tonofbricks:

Which completely goes against how Overstreet prices Baker romances. The more Baker interior the pricier the book. If there's a Baker cover and interior - pricier. Baker cover and no interior, not so much. Earlier issues are more costly than later. We know that that is all wrong.

At one time I insisted on interiors with my covers, but I was buying before CGC. I realized that covers were VERY important, more than interiors, though I love his stories.

Also more important than anything is scarcity. TAR #1 doesn't fetch big, because it's fairly common. Later issues get more because thay are harder to find.