• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,335 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2024 at 10:50 AM, Mavrick76 said:

Thoughts on whether or not these covers are Baker’s ? (Not my photos) 

I've wondered the same thing on this one, I think I've asked before and didn't get much response.  To me, it's the man on the left that makes me think Baker more than the other faces.  At least it has a Baker story inside for certain.

Exotic_Romances_28.thumb.jpg.64edb51f0635f57dd43af4e8838027c6.jpg:

Edited by OtherEric

On 4/29/2024 at 10:50 AM, Mavrick76 said:

Thoughts on whether or not these covers are Baker’s ? (Not my photos) 

IMG_0264.webp.b4eb7004d8eba6ba8437629169fb1e00.webp

IMG_0263.webp.c48213afc938670aa7e862edbbe19083.webp

imho they look like Ogden , the womens face seem too oval and sharp features and the clothing on both too stiff. Composition also awkward. 

The Paris Review - The Charming, Ridiculous Romance Comics of Ogden Whitney - The Paris Review

Edited by Changer

On 4/29/2024 at 1:34 PM, Changer said:

see these covers for reference as well. 

Brides Romances (1953) comic books (mycomicshop.com)

When I thumbed through the MCS covers for this particular title, the two I suspected as Baker were identified as such at the GCD:

781559.jpg

782539.jpg

GCD also has 18 identified as possible Baker (the coming down the stairs one Mavrick asked about) - I can maybe see it in the girls legs but otherwise not so much.

It's hard to tell with the heavy inks at Quality, and I wouldn't rule out team/shopwork with a lot of the Quality covers, so they can be hard to peg (shrug)

It's like with any artist, the best work is easy to identify, the worst not so much.  Whenever I correspond with the expert on whoever their particular guy is, there's always a readiness/happy willingness to discount the works at the margins and the rushed/botched examples.  No one wants a master to get blamed for the shoddiness (even when we all understand work on a deadline for peanuts isn't always the most conducive atmosphere for the artist).

Baker's early and late stuff can be tricky af, not to mention there seems to be a lot of money/collector concerns with people wanting a book to be Baker when it's not. I do really like the discussions in here about it, though, these are the sorts of IDs that have to be reached by something like consensus -

Edited by Darwination

On 4/29/2024 at 2:26 PM, Changer said:

imho they look like Ogden , the womens face seem too oval and sharp features and the clothing on both too stiff. Composition also awkward. 

The Paris Review - The Charming, Ridiculous Romance Comics of Ogden Whitney - The Paris Review

100%, especially the first one. Totally different animal than Baker but I unapologetically love his style too.

Untitled-1.jpg