• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,370 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2024 at 9:32 PM, OtherEric said:

Out of This World #14

At least he used a brush.  The plain pen lines in my example (If We Should Ever Meet) are a low point.

On 4/7/2024 at 9:32 PM, OtherEric said:

If the signature wasn't visible I don't know that I would believe this was his.  From Out of This World #14:

Backer_ootw.jpg

looks more like Ditko, did he have health issues affecting his work?

On 4/8/2024 at 5:32 PM, szav said:

He did.  It's discussed a bit in Art of Glamour as I recall.  Heart issues.  And his work seemed to drop in quality after the death of Archer St. John, and the collapse of the company, and the downturn in the comic industry in general in the late 50s when it wasn't as easy to find work.

Sad. Did not know that. Thanks for the important history lesson.

My recollection was that his heart issue picked up after Archer's death and he wasn't physically able (hand shaking etc) to produce the perfection he was known for.  I can't find the data online, but it's probably here in the threads prior 675 pages...

On 4/12/2024 at 9:12 PM, Darwination said:

It's cheap, too!  Deals everywhere :facepalm:

New Baker sighting this week in the pulp scans group.  The scanner was just after one story, but I was able to confirm that likely the entire issue is Matt Baker illustrated (which I knew was likely the case)  Not my scans here, Terror Detective Magazine, February 1956, a crime digest from Everett Arnold.  I hesitate to even show this thing in such sharky waters (and absolutely do keep some Baker secrets to myself :ph34r:).  What a fantastic cover this is (artist unknown):

TerrorDetectiveStoryMagazine03(1957-02.Arnold)BloodintheSandsonlyPage0001.thumb.jpg.284645454f3307ad9481c96b86e4f284.jpg

Harlan Ellison, Day Keene, Edward Hoch are among the authors in the issue, totally killer, I'd love to get my hands on it.

TerrorDetectiveStoryMagazine03(1957-02.Arnold)BloodintheSandsonlyPage0002MattBakerIllo.thumb.jpg.3087537a87c4e3be804705b5d2c9c81e.jpg

and I found the auction where it came from and another illo, very likely all the splashes are Baker

TerrorDetectiveStoryMagazine03(1957-02.Arnold)splashGangGirlMattBaker.jpg.478b4759bbb214c2e923f883061bc2e1.jpg

I've got the first book publication of the Ellison story:

Ace D 513.jpg

It's the first story in the book.

Edited by OtherEric

On 4/12/2024 at 11:12 PM, Darwination said:

It's cheap, too!  Deals everywhere :facepalm:

New Baker sighting this week in the pulp scans group.  The scanner was just after one story, but I was able to confirm that likely the entire issue is Matt Baker illustrated (which I knew was likely the case)  Not my scans here, Terror Detective Magazine, February 1956, a crime digest from Everett Arnold.  I hesitate to even show this thing in such sharky waters (and absolutely do keep some Baker secrets to myself :ph34r:).  What a fantastic cover this is (artist unknown):

Harlan Ellison, Day Keene, Edward Hoch are among the authors in the issue, totally killer, I'd love to get my hands on it.

and I found the auction where it came from and another illo, very likely all the splashes are Baker

TerrorDetectiveStoryMagazine03(1957-02.Arnold)splashGangGirlMattBaker.jpg.478b4759bbb214c2e923f883061bc2e1.jpg

That Gang Girl splash is a nice example of Baker pencils and Baker inks from an era when much of his comic book work was mangled by the inking of Vince Colletta.

On 4/15/2024 at 10:03 PM, Darwination said:

I see uncredited Baker

Get your vision tested

On 4/15/2024 at 10:03 PM, Darwination said:

am I crazy?

(shrug)

I defer to you gentle men's better judgment. :foryou:

There is a Baker attribution elsewhere in the series (along with Iger Shop attributions, and my thoughts were more along the lines of shopwork) at GCD but not solid. 

Edited by Darwination

On 4/15/2024 at 10:11 PM, Dr. Love said:

What does body language tell you in this shot of Matt and Archer?

image.jpeg.3d3416ddf18363fd6bf692a74eb05775.jpeg

Now that's an interesting question.  That had to be a very unique relationship.  Running buddies? Bosom and boozing confidants? Matt keeping the whole thing together?