• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,370 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2024 at 11:03 PM, MBFan said:

To be generous, MAYBE someone was trying to copy Baker's style for the girls' expressions, but that does not look like authentic Matt Baker art to me. In 1951 he was busy turning out stellar work for St. John. 

That I know of, the only Baker art in a Star publication is in All Famous Police Cases #7. “Death Is Its Only Reward”, featuring Inspector Layton, appears to be a previously unused Inspector Dayton story from Baker’s time at the Iger Shop. And the leading lady in that story epitomizes the work Baker was doing at the shop during those days.

baker girl example from all famous police cases 7.jpg

Hubba Hubba!

On 4/15/2024 at 7:03 PM, Darwination said:

I see uncredited Baker, am I crazy?

I too see what you are seeing.  However, there's too many panels/figures that look nothing like what Baker would do.  LB Cole doing more swiping???  :insane:

Agree with the consensus... the unknown artist swiped Baker's style of drawing female faces, and can you blame them? (It's the only reason we're giving their work a moment's thought today.) Great find!

On 4/15/2024 at 11:20 PM, Darwination said:

Now that's an interesting question.  That had to be a very unique relationship.  Running buddies? Bosom and boozing confidants? Matt keeping the whole thing together?

If I remember correctly Archer St. John died in the apartment of his mistress (of a heart attack?). I'm not sure anyone can shed much light on their relationship given how private Matt was mixed with how St. John really had him control the art and layouts. My feeling is Matt was busy and dedicated and St. John knew the quality of the images even if he neglected the quality of the printing. Sales were enough to keep the lights on and keep Archer galavanting.

On 4/18/2024 at 12:18 AM, PeterPark said:

If I remember correctly Archer St. John died in the apartment of his mistress (of a heart attack?). I'm not sure anyone can shed much light on their relationship given how private Matt was mixed with how St. John really had him control the art and layouts. My feeling is Matt was busy and dedicated and St. John knew the quality of the images even if he neglected the quality of the printing. Sales were enough to keep the lights on and keep Archer galavanting.

They say Archer's son fired everybody over the shame they knew of his affair. Matt said he never knew St. John had a mistress and felt he had been screwed.

On 4/18/2024 at 7:43 PM, grendelbo said:

Admittedly, besides EC Comics, GA isn't my bag. I appreciate the era and it's history and creators, but I prefer comics characteristic of my youth.

And I'm not sure if I even heard of Baker until my return to the hobby a few years back. Heck, it might've been @Funnybooks profile pic that initially turned me on to him.

Anyways, whether this is the start of a love affair or not (I understand his draw), I thought my collection ought to have an example of Baker's work in it.

DiarySecrets14CGC1.5.thumb.jpg.7e972f6e07a3ca6ea4f3716217bc5c48.jpg

Hide contents

Screenshot_20240412_151850_eBay.thumb.jpg.af4f2038013215574220daf43ef8c17a.jpg

Thanks to @Point Fivefor his advice last week when I was thinking about purchasing this book. And although I found it's contents online to read (https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=21657), it'll be out of the slab and in Mylar by weekend's end.

There's a rumor going around that, having hit a dead end in his art career in his mid-20s, Andy Warhol cut out and sent in the coupon from this very book, and that was the turning point that led his to becoming one of the most influential American artists of the 20th Century.  That true?

On 4/18/2024 at 9:11 PM, MattTheDuck said:

There's a rumor going around that, having hit a dead end in his art career in his mid-20s, Andy Warhol cut out and sent in the coupon from this very book, and that was the turning point that led his to becoming one of the most influential American artists of the 20th Century.  That true?

First I've heard of it but I'll die on some hill believing it.

When I bust it out I'll look for something like this -

images.jpeg.1f53adb14330cba79374864e548f0e46.jpeg

Edited by grendelbo

On 4/18/2024 at 10:43 PM, grendelbo said:

Admittedly, besides EC Comics, GA isn't my bag. I appreciate the era and it's history and creators, but I prefer comics characteristic of my youth.

And I'm not sure if I even heard of Baker until my return to the hobby a few years back. Heck, it might've been @Funnybooks profile pic that initially turned me on to him.

Anyways, whether this is the start of a love affair or not (I understand his draw), I thought my collection ought to have an example of Baker's work in it.

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks to @Point Fivefor his advice last week when I was thinking about purchasing this book. And although I found it's contents online to read (https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=21657), it'll be out of the slab and in Mylar by weekend's end.

Video gif. A tiny tabby kitten covers its mouth with its paw as if it's shocked.

And I'm not sure if I even heard of Baker until my return to the hobby a few years back. Heck, it might've been @Funnybooks profile pic that initially turned me on to him.

Anyways, whether this is the start of a love affair (I understand his draw), I thought my collection ought to have an example of Baker's work in it.

beyonce bitch please GIF

It's only the start........great choice for your first Baker

On 4/18/2024 at 7:43 PM, grendelbo said:

Reveal hidden contents

A great choice and looks wonderful for the number grade. Glad to hear it is being cracked. A good decision. Baker is like crack. Hard to stop at just one. 

On 4/19/2024 at 4:28 AM, Funnybooks said:

And I'm not sure if I even heard of Baker until my return to the hobby a few years back. Heck, it might've been @Funnybooks profile pic that initially turned me on to him.

Anyways, whether this is the start of a love affair (I understand his draw), I thought my collection ought to have an example of Baker's work in it.

beyonce bitch please GIF

It's only the start........great choice for your first Baker

Funnybooks is a human gateway drug.

I don't know if this was posted already, and I can neither confirm nor deny its veracity, but this is a video from 2 months ago with Rick Akers, consignment director for Heritage, that I somehow forgot to go back and watch.

Just hit play - it's cued up to the correct point in the video (the entire video is a fun listen, too, btw), but you'll have to wait almost exactly 1 minute for the payoff :

On 4/21/2024 at 4:23 AM, comicnoir said:

There's a new Baker auction coming up next month, in case nobody noticed. Looks extensive.

I noticed - starts on 6/20 right? Diary Secrets 30 & Amazing Ghost Stories 16 is catching my eye.

On 4/21/2024 at 4:23 AM, comicnoir said:

There's a new Baker auction coming up next month, in case nobody noticed. Looks expensive.

FTFY