• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zip Comics #1 - Same book, two grades, 2nd time sold for 2x more

36 posts in this topic

..maybe this should be in the Gold thread? Pov! Where are you buddy! Help me decide which forum this belongs in! So confused... confused-smiley-013.gifconfused.gif

Hall Monitor says: Best place is in Grading and Restoration thread. grin.gif

You're quite right. I missed out on this.

I may be leaving you all soon; someone has offered me a very reasonable sum for my entire collection....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may no longer be a collector, and back to the normal world. Of course, 25/30 years of my life have been chasing after comic books; perhaps its time for something new....

Why base your reply on just the 2nd post in this thread? I gave you 2 links to Heritage! Plus its "Zip" not "Zap" BUB! I didn't know CGC had anything to apologize for here, unless you think they did something wrong.

foreheadslap.gif shows you gow much attention I pay to golden age posts tongue.gif i thought your post implied that once again cgc missed obvious resto...anf now owes the original owner the difference in sale prices tongue.gif

I'm just curious how the page quality changed?????? Any thoughts, anyone?

..maybe this should be in the Gold thread? Pov! Where are you buddy! Help me decide which forum this belongs in! So confused... confused-smiley-013.gifconfused.gif

I may be leaving you all soon; someone has offered me a very reasonable sum for my entire collection....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may no longer be a collector, and back to the normal world. Of course, 25/30 years of my life have been chasing after comic books; perhaps its time for something new....

Think well my friend! I did that and am now re-collecting many books I once owned! But even if you no longer collect, you should still stick around the boards, neh? thumbsup2.gif

I'll miss you. frown.gif You've given me a greater appreciation for MLJ comics. Of course if someone made a reasonable offer on my collection, I'd probably be joining you into the real world! (After recovering from the withdrawals and other nasty side effects). tongue.gif

Why base your reply on just the 2nd post in this thread? I gave you 2 links to Heritage! Plus its "Zip" not "Zap" BUB! I didn't know CGC had anything to apologize for here, unless you think they did something wrong.

foreheadslap.gif shows you gow much attention I pay to golden age posts tongue.gif i thought your post implied that once again cgc missed obvious resto...anf now owes the original owner the difference in sale prices tongue.gif

I'm just curious how the page quality changed?????? Any thoughts, anyone?

Bleach? Also how did it get restored from a Zap 1 to a Zip??? insane.gif

I'll miss your RAH RAH GO YANKEES bravado most of all frown.gif Shield, the rule is...if you leave the hobby you must find two newbies to take your place...can't leave until that is done...

I think someone did a LOT more than just put it under ten encyclopedias.

It certainly looks like it was pressed - but pressing and cleaning are two entirely different processes. You can lay the book just right and place it under encyclopedias/bricks or whatever and have it come out looking like that though - I would just call it wear/nature (though using a press certainly is faster).

If you can stack a book up and it gets a spine roll, why not stack it another way and remove the spine roll? It's still a natural process.

And I'm still waiting for my all my royalty nickels to come rolling in for teaching you guys about wonder bread. smile.gif

So, they CAN'T spot resto like rewrapping a cover like that?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To the best of many restoration experts' opinions, no, many types of dry-cleaning, pressing, and cover removal are undetectable using known methods. But ultimately, I dunno, lemme go watch some CSI reruns to become qualifed to answer that question beyond what the restorers have told me. juggle.gif

So, they CAN'T spot resto like rewrapping a cover like that?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To the best of many restoration experts' opinions, no, many types of dry-cleaning, pressing, and cover removal are undetectable using known methods. But ultimately, I dunno, lemme go watch some CSI reruns to become qualifed to answer that question beyond what the restorers have told me. juggle.gif

CSI? Comic reStoration Investigators? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif That's gold, Jerry!

Ah, who am I kidding. I'm 30, and Mom bought me my first comics at age 5. It's really all I know.

I look at it this way: There's a sliding scale between having a large collection and having a home; I just went from one extreme to another, that's all.

I almost shed a tear boxing the books up; I had to open one and look at the Golden Age gloss, smell the paper, etc.

I'll have a 98 Lexus GS 300 paid for, credit cards paid off, and collect much less agressively, but from the comfort of a HOME and not a stupid apartment. So what if it takes 15 years to accumulate what I have in the past 3?

THE SHIELD IS HERE TO STAY, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!! 893whatthe.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gifgossip.gif

Well, thanks be to the Golden Age gods that you're sticking around, with or without your (previous) collection! We need all the Golden Age support we can muster around here...

As for the Zip #1 in question, that's a travesty, and certainly suggests that either

1) CGC's ability to catch what they themselves define as restoration is not as consistent as we (and probably they) believed it to be

or

2) CGC really, REALLY needs to find some way of tracking individual books, so that such "restoration" is caught in future

or

3) CLEANED AND PRESSED IS THE WAY TO GO, BABY!

Some brave board member should find a similar book (in terms of condition/structure) from their slabbed collection, unslab it, press and clean it (with Wonder Bread, accept no substitutes, right, Zilla?), and submit it to CGC...

Ah, who am I kidding. I'm 30, and Mom bought me my first comics at age 5. It's really all I know.

I look at it this way: There's a sliding scale between having a large collection and having a home; I just went from one extreme to another, that's all.

I almost shed a tear boxing the books up; I had to open one and look at the Golden Age gloss, smell the paper, etc.

I'll have a 98 Lexus GS 300 paid for, credit cards paid off, and collect much less agressively, but from the comfort of a HOME and not a stupid apartment. So what if it takes 15 years to accumulate what I have in the past 3?

THE SHIELD IS HERE TO STAY, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!! 893whatthe.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gifgossip.gif

Shield it is not a problem. The big crash is just around the corner. In a few months you will be able to buy your whole collection back for 20 or 30% of what you sold it for. 27_laughing.gif

Glad your hanging around mate. Once an addict always an addict.