• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the Lowest Price Recorded for a Whiz Comics #1 (or 2, whatever!)

106 posts in this topic

Captain Marvel titles have always amazed me. I mean a lot have really cool covers but they just seem to get no love. I myself have only two in my collection, Whiz 25 and Captain Midnight 44, so maybe I am part of the problem. I think the cover to Whiz 1 is pretty darn sweet, but for 5k, I would rather have something else ...

If I had $5000 to spare I would snatch that book up in a blink right now!

Mega key, mega important book, very interesting origin and character.

I almost pulled the trigger when Bill put it up for sale.

I think that book will again gain steam. Just look at the small handful of people on here that have started collecting Whiz Comics in the past few months.

Harley Yee was asking me if I know of any Whiz for sale...he has a demand for them.

Every show I have been to in the past 4 months, I have been buying every early Whiz Comic I could lay my eyes on...you know how many I found?

One.

2c

I know aa guy who has always had good luck getting them. I considered collecting them, but like someone else stated. Something else I like more always comes along.

Captain Marvel titles have always amazed me. I mean a lot have really cool covers but they just seem to get no love. I myself have only two in my collection, Whiz 25 and Captain Midnight 44, so maybe I am part of the problem. I think the cover to Whiz 1 is pretty darn sweet, but for 5k, I would rather have something else ...

I think that book will again gain steam. Just look at the small handful of people on here that have started collecting Whiz Comics in the past few months.

Harley Yee was asking me if I know of any Whiz for sale...he has a demand for them.

Every show I have been to in the past 4 months, I have been buying every early Whiz Comic I could lay my eyes on...you know how many I found?

One.

2c

I know aa guy who has always had good luck getting them. I considered collecting them, but like someone else stated. Something else I like more always comes along.

Please put me into contact with him. I will buy every issue I can get my hands on.

(thumbs u

well, I collected Whiz 1-25 and Captain Marvel Adv 1-25, and had problem finding a couple of issues... took me a year to find a whiz 17, and when I finally did, I found 2 more within a month (bougth them both, too, just on principle)...

One.

2c

Please put me into contact with him. I will buy every issue I can get my hands on.

(thumbs u

I will see him sunday. I will ask if he has any currently available. I know he constantly shows up with them, and some younger guy picks and chooses on them. I know alot of the time they are 3.0 range. But if he has any leads I will get the Email for you.

Its nice to know that us non millionaire collector types can still acquire a super key like Whiz #2 in nice shape at a relatively affordable price! Come on folks we are talking about the origin and first appearance of the most popular superhero of the golden age! I for one am glad that speculators have not totally made this book out of reach for little guys like me! I would like to find an unrestored copy of Whiz #2 for under 10K, like the one that sold on CL.

Its nice to know that us non millionaire collector types can still acquire a super key like Whiz #2 in nice shape at a relatively affordable price! Come on folks we are talking about the origin and first appearance of the most popular superhero of the golden age! I for one am glad that speculators have not totally made this book out of reach for little guys like me! I would like to find an unrestored copy of Whiz #2 for under 10K, like the one that sold on CL.

the clink copy was one of my old copies... it was great, and quite honestly, went at a bargain price...the seller paid me much more for it when I sold it last year...

(thumbs u :applause:

So what you're saying is I should save my Con money until a Whiz 1 comes up at $3k?

Hey the price on the 7.0® dropped by 33% in a year, so in the not too distant future $3K might get you two copies.

zzz

Quiet you! :kidaround:

Otherwise everyone will figure it out and then the price will jump!

:gossip: Some of us budget collectors will have to save for a year for something like this!

I would like to find an unrestored copy of Whiz #2 for under 10K, like the one that sold on CL.

the clink copy was one of my old copies... it was great, and quite honestly, went at a bargain price...the seller paid me much more for it when I sold it last year...

Yep - just shows the general pricing trend for Whiz #1. Restored 7.0 down 33% in a year, unrestored down also...

I guess it could be blamed on the economy...?

I would like to find an unrestored copy of Whiz #2 for under 10K, like the one that sold on CL.

Yep - just shows the general pricing trend for Whiz #1. Restored 7.0 down 33% in a year, unrestored down also...

Or maybe the prices on low grade unrestored copies have been overinflated for too long? While I think the book is cool it seems like if you wanted to obtain a low grade copy [2.0's-most of the one's I have seen had covers detached, etc] it was going to cost you $10,000 minimum. Seems like a lot of cake to me.

I don't know where you are getting your numbers from but

6.0 unrestored sold for $19,000 in 11/05

5.5 unrestored sold ofr $21,000 in 01/06 so this looks like a price increase to me.

The 7.0 EP sale is the only sale on GPA that has had more than one sale. There are also 2 different 7.0 EP books...was it the same book that sold twice or two different books? The type of resto can have a serious effect on price...if a book has a married wrap or is trimmed this could put off a lot of bidders.

To be fair, even though the books is not a popular key, there is just not enough sales data to show a trend on this book IMO.

R.

I don't know where you are getting your numbers from but

6.0 unrestored sold for $19,000 in 11/05

5.5 unrestored sold ofr $21,000 in 01/06 so this looks like a price increase to me.

To be fair, even though the books is not a popular key, there is just not enough sales data to show a trend on this book IMO.

R.

It is a fun and important book, no doubt, but I can call a spade a spade when i see it.

I don't have any "numbers" on the 3.0 sale, just Rick's word when he stated "the seller paid me much more for it when I sold it last year..." Meaning this is a book that just sold for below guide, when there are only 9 unrestored copies graded total.

And while I don't have GPA, just pulling Heritage numbers, checking the OPG, and seeing the recent CL sale is enough for me.

Look at these numbers:

2004: 5.0EP - $7100 now... 2008: 7.0EP - $5000

That's two grades better for $2K less

2002: 7.5SA $11,500 more recent 2004: 7.0SP $7700

The 5.5 you quote as having sold in 06 (when FN guide was $21,000) also sold through Heritage in 04 for the princely sum of $20,700 (when FN guide was also $21,000), resulting in a tremendous gross increase of $575 for a high-grade, unrestored key Golden Age comic, and most likely a net loss for the purchaser.

Also meaning the 6.0 sale was at a discount to the 5.5 sale from two years prior.

did it arch $500 higher because of time payments, was it secretly bought back in, or did it finally meet a long-term collector? Don't know, but can't call it a "trend" in the face of all the other evidence.

Guide price has sat unchanged (Fine guide at $21,000) for the past SEVEN years, hardly indicative of a key cornerstone book with any sort of true demand.

Whiz #1 has only 27 total copies graded (and only 9 unrestored), that's 65-70% of the number of Action #1s & Tec #27s respectively, and very close to the same number of copies of All American #16 and More Fun #52, meaning if this book had any sort of sustained demand whatsoever it would be seeing some sort of growth in this time period .

2004: 7.0SP $7700
I'd love to get my hands on that 7.0 SP but I bet it's now a 5.5 or 6.0 universal. I know that's what I'd do with it if it could be done.

The lone blue 6.0 was added in late 2005 (there haven't been any more 5.5s added) so it is possible, but with a reinforced cover and centerfold I bet it's not that simple.

I wasn't saying it wasn't a "cheap" GA key, I just found it hard to show a trend with only 1 sale in each grade but a bit of reading between the lines does tell a different story. I was a bit rushed at work when I responded.

In my mind this run is right up there with Superman and Batman. Just as cool, just as important, just as big. I understand the market has spoken but I have fond memories of reading Captain Marvel stories as a kid (especially the origin reprinted) and would love to own the run.

Maybe one day again it will become a favorite title. Things do go up and down all the time. Right now I'll just savor how cheap these books are and buy every copy I can afford.

Thanks for the explanation, Crowzilla!

R.

I sold the 3.0 blue for $12,500 in late 2006/early 2007

I sold the 7.0 ext for $7500 in 2007, that is not the same copy that just sold for 5K...mine looke a little better