• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the Lowest Price Recorded for a Whiz Comics #1 (or 2, whatever!)

106 posts in this topic

The sales figures are another thing that I think plays into the idea that Fawcetts are less desirable then other golden age publishers' books. Between the myriad reports of high sales totals and the large amount of mid-run and later Fawcetts available through the various dealers sites there is certainly a perception that supply far outstrips demand. This perception is, in fact, misleading.

The very early Whiz (through 20 or so), and Captain Marvel (through 18 or so) are no more available than any DC or Timely, and in some cases harder to find.

Also, the very late issues in those runs and particularly Mary Marvel and Marvel Family are very tough to complete.

The sales figures are another thing that I think plays into the idea that Fawcetts are less desirable then other golden age publishers' books. Between the myriad reports of high sales totals and the large amount of mid-run and later Fawcetts available through the various dealers sites there is certainly a perception that supply far outstrips demand. This perception is, in fact, misleading.

The very early Whiz (through 20 or so), and Captain Marvel (through 18 or so) are no more available than any DC or Timely, and in some cases harder to find.

Also, the very late issues in those runs and particularly Mary Marvel and Marvel Family are very tough to complete.

I couldn't agree more. I'd love to find nice copies of some of the Early Whiz and CMA.

I love the take DC took in Kingdom Come...if you guys have not read it I put it "almost" in the same territory as Watchmen and DKR. Marvel plays a very very different character than we are used to.

R.

I love the take DC took in Kingdom Come...if you guys have not read it I put it "almost" in the same territory as Watchmen and DKR. Marvel plays a very very different character than we are used to.

R.

I like Kingdom Come much more then Watchmen and DKR. However 3 very different stories. Watchmen was probably my least favorite of them. The end of Kingdom Come really brings new light to Captian Marvel AKA Billy Batson.

It seems like the Captain Marvel books are quite affordable compared to the DC books.

You know, compared to Action they are...but not cheap. And if you can find them...that's the key. Like Richard said...early issues are tough to find.

R.

It seems like the Captain Marvel books are quite affordable compared to the DC books.

You know, compared to Action they are...but not cheap. And if you can find them...that's the key. Like Richard said...early issues are tough to find.

R.

One of the other dealers at the local shows I do is always selling low grade copies to one guy. I could probably get a few from him.

This perception is, in fact, misleading.

Exactly, the tipping point seems to be mid-1942. Look at the staggering increase in circulation numbers for Fawcetts through 1942. Wow! Of course, the first series increase is inflated by the addition of CMJr at the end of the year but the pattern holds for the second series. We can infer that CMJr # 1 sold about 500,000 copies.

Fawcett Comics Group. Circulation data below is for Fawcett's Blue Unit,

which consists of the following 4 titles: Whiz (every 4 weeks); Master

(monthly to Oct., then every 4 weeks); Wow (quarterly until Aug., then

bi-monthly); and Captain Marvel Jr. (established Oct. 42).

Jul 42 577,278

Aug 42 878,143

Sep 42 756,853

Oct 42 793,441

Nov 42 1,302,124

Dec 42 1,064,024

Note: Circulation data below is for Fawcett's Red Unit, which consists of

the following 3 titles: Captain Marvel Adventures (every 4 weeks); Captain

Midnight (every six weeks until Nov, then monthly); and Funny Animals

(monthly).

Jul 42 479,674

Aug 42 573,717

Sep 42 651,935

Oct 42 979,063

Nov 42 952,352

Dec 42 1,324,599

I put together a whiz 1-25 run...I loved it!

the cheapest unrestored whiz 1 in the market that I have seen was the 1.8 crowley copy on ebay for $5999 (the seller now has it at 6999).... Marnin of collectorsassemble has a nice 2.0 for $7120...

even restored copies tend to sell in the $7000+ range

good luck

I'm always amazed at how Tec27Kid knows where to find any given book, and his uncanny recollection of prior sales prices (half of which aren't even public sales)! Always a pleasure to read your posts (and Nearmint's, and several others); sorry I don't have much to add. :)

the cheapest unrestored whiz 1 in the market that I have seen was the 1.8 crowley copy on ebay for $5999 (the seller now has it at 6999).... Marnin of collectorsassemble has a nice 2.0 for $7120...

good luck

I'm always amazed at how Tec27Kid knows where to find any given book, and his uncanny recollection of prior sales prices (half of which aren't even public sales)! Always a pleasure to read your posts (and Nearmint's, and several others); sorry I don't have much to add. :)

thanks Supes...

I wish I could find any book lol ...quite a few are escaping me at the moment.... but I do have a lot of free time on my hands, so I tend to suffer from general market awareness

happy to contribute and assist if anyone needs it (thumbs u

good luck

thanks Supes...

I wish I could find any book lol ...quite a few are escaping me at the moment.... but I do have a lot of free time on my hands, so I tend to suffer from general market awareness

I'm in need of a charity donation. I'm suffering from Marvelmysteryitis.

:(

good luck

You could contribute by selling me your Adventure 40 :makepoint::wishluck:

Then I could fill out 30-40 :cloud9:

I couldn't agree more. I'd love to find nice copies of some of the Early Whiz and CMA.

I'll be bringing this one to Chicago with me.

whiz1-1.jpg

whiz1backcover.jpg

whiz1-1.jpg

whiz1backcover.jpg

see, I told you all ciorac had a nice copy!

If Whiz 1 sold as well as some people said it did in the other thread then it is just as historically significant as any other funny book except Action #1. Along side Action, Detective and Marvel Mystery (though not as much as their chief hero was a creation of man) It lay down the ground work for not only the American superhero, but also an arch type for the sidekick...Billy Batson is not only Captain Marvel but also a side kick of sorts. He didn't change costume...he changed bodies. It was 1 month ahead of Captain America #1.

It was also an extremely well thought out origin with a "backstory" depth that was pretty unique at the time, no?

Mingled with great covers, eye catching colors, simple artwork which appealed to children....it's no wonder it sold like hot cakes...the child becomes the world's mightiest mortal.

The court battle with National only adds credence to how important this book was.

Too bad it's dumped on all the time...maybe one day DC will be able to revive CM in a way to give him the respect he deserves.

R.

Ahhh yes, the "what if" idea:

What if Cap had continued to be published all these years hm

whiz1-1.jpg

Have Whiz will travel?

whiz1-1.jpg

whiz1backcover.jpg

That one's a bit too early for my wallet. Now if you have a nice 17 or 18, I'll take it!

the last Whiz I needed to complete my 1-25 run was #17...I looked for just under 2 years, never saw a copy....then, in a one month period, I found 3! bought them all, "just because"... still have 2 of them (all lower vgish)...