• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the Lowest Price Recorded for a Whiz Comics #1 (or 2, whatever!)

106 posts in this topic

Stay away from my Whiz!

Did you really buy it, or are you talking about another kind of "whiz"? :baiting:

All of a sudden everyone wants Whiz comics.

lol

A coverless Whiz # 2 (1) was eBayed by redmelvin27 for about $353. Think it had browning edges.

Now THAT would be more my (low grade) bag.

I searched his completed auction listings and didn't see it though...

Perhaps the Dentist was using his other i.d. of thebigloo to eBay lower end collecibles? Not sure, as redmelvin27 now eBaying some deluxe Mile High slabs :o in time for Father's Day.

Checked that ebay handle as well...no dice.

I've liked Whiz Comics for a while now. GREAT reading and a cool and classic character!

Does anyone else remember a "copy" that had each page laminated? I don't know what (or even if) it sold for but it couldn't have been much.

I think I remember this one, maybe in a CBG ad in the pre-Ebay '90's?

Sounds about right!

I'm going to predict that the next one sold might set a new record low (at least until the one after that). :baiting:

Explain :baiting:

Ignore him, he hates the book. We of course love it. :luhv:

I have always been curious why, over the last fifteen or twenty years, certain dealers have so vocally denegrated Whiz 2. I think it is a cool book, rarely seen in grade non-restored. But I also realize that it is probably the least sound investment book of the mega-keys. But the reason I think it is not a sound investment has nothing to do with the book itself, and everything to do with the fact that a certain group of the big name dealers talk s h i t about it every chance they get.

Funny enough, none of them have a nice copy in stock.

If they did I bet they wouldn't sell it cheap.

If Whiz 1 sold as well as some people said it did in the other thread then it is just as historically significant as any other funny book except Action #1. Along side Action, Detective and Marvel Mystery (though not as much as their chief hero was a creation of man) It lay down the ground work for not only the American superhero, but also an arch type for the sidekick...Billy Batson is not only Captain Marvel but also a side kick of sorts. He didn't change costume...he changed bodies. It was 1 month ahead of Captain America #1.

It was also an extremely well thought out origin with a "backstory" depth that was pretty unique at the time, no?

Mingled with great covers, eye catching colors, simple artwork which appealed to children....it's no wonder it sold like hot cakes...the child becomes the world's mightiest mortal.

The court battle with National only adds credence to how important this book was.

Too bad it's dumped on all the time...maybe one day DC will be able to revive CM in a way to give him the respect he deserves.

R.

Found some terrifc reading on wiki...here are a few paragraphs...

In addition to introducing the main character and his alter ego, Captain Marvel's first adventure in Whiz Comics #2 also introduced his archenemy, the evil Doctor Sivana, and found Billy Batson talking his way into a job as an on-air radio reporter. Captain Marvel was an instant success, with Whiz Comics #2 selling over 500,000 copies

In the early 1940s, Captain Marvel also gained allies in the Marvel Family, a collective of superheroes with powers and/or costumes similar to Captain Marvel's. (By comparison, Superman spin-off character Superboy first appeared in 1944, while Supergirl first appeared in 1959). Whiz Comics #21 (September 1941) marked the debut of the Lieutenant Marvels, the alter egos of three other boys (all also named Billy Batson) who found that, by saying "Shazam!" in unison, they too could become Marvels.

Through much of the Golden age of comic books, Captain Marvel proved to be the most popular superhero character of the medium with his comics outselling all others, including those featuring Superman. In fact, Captain Marvel Adventures sold fourteen million copies in 1944, and was at one point being published weekly with a circulation of 1.3 million copies an issue (proclaimed on the cover of issue #19 as being the "Largest Circulation of Any Comic Magazine"

and was at one point being published weekly with a circulation of 1.3 million copies an issue

Well, that's just flat wrong. It did publish every 3 weeks for a while, but never weekly.

and was at one point being published weekly with a circulation of 1.3 million copies an issue

Well, that's just flat wrong. It did publish every 3 weeks for a while, but never weekly.

Good to know. I just cut and pasted wiki...still gotta admit...pretty impressive results.

R.

Good to know. I just cut and pasted wiki...still gotta admit...pretty impressive results.

Yeah, impressive to say the least:

By Jan 44, the circulation for Captain Marvel Adventures had

increased such that Fawcett decided to give the title a separate ABC

listing. Thus, the following data is for Captain Marvel Adventures only:

Jan 44 1,245,600

Feb 44 1,340,299

Mar 44 1,364,090

Apr 44 1,339,859

May 44 1,360,051

Jun 44 1,285,516

Jul 44 1,157,530

Aug 44 1,250,661

Sep 44 1,264,668

Oct 44 1,239,036

Nov 44 1,213,412

Dec 44 No issue

Maybe they meant that a Captain Marvel comic came out weekly with Whiz, Captain Marvel, Marvel Family, Master Comics each coming out monthly.

Since the numbers mentioned pertain to CMA only, it's a mistake.