• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Author Paul Karasik looking for Fletcher Hanks stories

61 posts in this topic

For the past several months I have had a complete set of Fletcher Hanks stories except for one single elusive tale from Daring Mystery #5. For some reason this particular issue is extraordinarily rare. Frankly, I had just about given up hope.

Foolish mortal!

Thanks to a generous West coast collector and this board's own Mr. Parker for coming forward with a nice crisp scan ready for publication in, "You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation!"

Rumblings have sounded in some quarters that Volume II of The Complete Fletcher Hanks will be a diluted version of Volume I which has been misperceived as a Best-Of Collection. Volume II will contain stories that equal if not surpass many of the best tales from Volume I. In fact, the final missing story from Daring Mystery #5 is one of the all-time greats as shown in the crackerjack first page attached.

Nothing can now stop me from my plan to overtake the planet!

carter1.jpg

:applause:

That Parker is my Idol. (worship)

he saved me from cracking my DM 5 ^^

Paul,

So you were able to get those Jungles you were missing?

Really looking forward to Vol II...will there be a new "special" story similar to the one about your meeting with Hanks' son? (I enjoyed that one a lot...)

Paul,

So you were able to get those Jungles you were missing?

Really looking forward to Vol II...will there be a new "special" story similar to the one about your meeting with Hanks' son? (I enjoyed that one a lot...)

come to think of it, I enjoyed the back story too!

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm afraid that a comics story like, "Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks" comes around only once in a lifetime.

The second volume, "You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation" will feature a plain old-fashioned introduction...but with a few surprise bits of illustrative art!

I just got my bound copy of "You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation!" and I believe that you Fletcher Hanks fans out there will not be disappointed. Volume II contains ALL of the rest of Hanks' stories , that's twice as many as Volume I...it's a WHOPPER! I believe that you can order it from Amazon now...better yet, ask your local dealer. It should be available within a week or two. Hope you guys like it!

I just got my bound copy of "You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation!" and I believe that you Fletcher Hanks fans out there will not be disappointed. Volume II contains ALL of the rest of Hanks' stories , that's twice as many as Volume I...it's a WHOPPER! I believe that you can order it from Amazon now...better yet, ask your local dealer. It should be available within a week or two. Hope you guys like it!

way to go paul; big-time congrats on the mission accomplished.

Amazon has been taking pre-orders for months (at an attractive price). Here's what mine says today:

Items not yet shipped:

Shipping estimate: July 6, 2009

* 1 of: You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation!

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Looking forward to another heapin' helpin' o' Hanks!

Jack

I'd love to see all of Fletcher's work. I suppose to many it would be sacrilege to consider animating the stories, but I think this will happen to many treasured comic books, (I mean how much Batman do you need?) Consider what a powerfull film Kurtzman's "Corpse On The Imjin" would make. It's not much of a leap to see a comic layouts like Fletchers as a storyboard for a film. Bringing his drawings "to life" would be a creative challenge of the highest caliber. Think of how "SnowWhite" works, a consistancy of style is immediatly accepted by the audience, this would be true in Fletcher's art as well. In film making it's all about the sound track, so I would invision cutting to close-ups of the panel art in sync with effects, in effect using different parts of each panel.

I don't know about movies, but we did make a coloring book out of a Hanks story.Yup, that's right. We made up a sweet Fletcher Hanks coloring book out of a Fantomah story shot from the original stats back in the early 40's. It is one of the greatest Hanks' tales and features dismembering by a pack of gorillas. Big fun!

You can get this booklet by showing up at one of my (very few) signings or by pre-ordering the book from these guys:

http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=You-Shall-Die-by-Your-Own-Evil-Creation%21-by-Fletcher-Hanks-Pre-Order-Preview-Plus.html&Itemid=113

Also offered here is a swell Fantomah screen-saver.

BOOK RELEASE EVENT!

If you are in NYC next Thursday come out to celebrate the release of "You Shall Die by Your Own Evil Creation!" by Fletcher Hanks, edited by Paul Karasik at Desert island in Williamsburg

I will be speaking with comics historian Dan Nadel about Hanks's legacy, and both will take questions.

Fletcher Hanks coloring books (with Charles Burns cover!) FREE with purchase of the new book at the event.

plus: a limited edition Hanks screenprint is now available for preorder here: http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/fantomah

OH BOY!

Look what Amazon is shipping.

FletcherHanks.jpg

Unfortunately, no coloring book included.

Beautiful book -- looks like a fun read.

Jack

BOOK RELEASE EVENT!

If you are in NYC next Thursday come out to celebrate the release of "You Shall Die by Your Own Evil Creation!" by Fletcher Hanks, edited by Paul Karasik at Desert island in Williamsburg

I will be speaking with comics historian Dan Nadel about Hanks's legacy, and both will take questions.

Fletcher Hanks coloring books (with Charles Burns cover!) FREE with purchase of the new book at the event.

plus: a limited edition Hanks screenprint is now available for preorder here: http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/fantomah

Presently the only way to get a cool Fletcher Hanks coloring book (with a swell cover by Charles Burns) is to either order "You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation!" via Fantagraphics (the value of the coloring book to you may be worth the difference of ordering through Amazon plus you support Fantagraphics):

http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1589&category_id=396&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

Or get a copy by showing up at one of my signings.

At these signing I will be presenting "The Fletcher Hanks Experience" narrated by Fletcher Hanks, Jr.

August 26, 7:30: Bunch of Grapes Bookstore, Tisbury, MA

September 3, 5:00: West Tisbury Library, West Tisbury, MA

September 16, 7:00 The Strand Bookstore, NYC, NY

September 27 SPX, Small Press Expo, Bethesda, MD

October 18 7:00: Politics and Prose Bookstore, Washington, DC

BTW: The book got a nice review over at Publisher's Weekly:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6677232.html

"I must have this book for my library." -R. Crumb

Got my copy of this book.

MAJOR KUDOS to Mr. Karasik for your great work on this (and the previous volume).

Great looking reproduction on great paper of some fantastic stories.

Thank you very much for caring so much about this material to do all the hard work to produce this.

There is a treasure trove of fun reading here.

To anyone who has considered getting this - go for it.

Thanks so much, Boot. I really appreciate kind words coming from this board of distinguished taste!

Just a reminder to those in the NYC area that I will be at The Strand bookstore next Wednesday night, September 16 at 7PM. Along with books and coloring books (!) I will be sharing "The Fletcher Hanks Experience" narrated by Fletcher Hanks, Jr.

Drop by and say hi!

-Paul

Hey guys! First many thanks to all of you who helped make the Fletcher Hanks books possible as well as to those of you who actually bought the durn things! Volume I is going into it's 4th printing and Volume II into it's second!

Fletcher Hanks t-shirts make swell X-Mas gifts and future dishrags!!!

The Stardust shirt is sold out but there are still some Fantomah shirts available (100% Cotton: American Aparel) if you scoot over to the T-Shirt page at:

www.fletcherhanks.com

hankstshirt.th.jpg