• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is this Superman #317 so expensive?

33 posts in this topic

I got my #317 right here from Rich Henn awhile back for $200 and no miswrap, beautiful book, I too consider this one a classic cover, although not as much as the very classic Supes #233.

For me, I think that this is a much better cover than #233. This one seems to be more of what I think is the classic Adam's style. 233 seems a bit simplistic for Adams, but maybe that's classic in itself. (shrug)

(thumbs u on a beautiful, no miswrapped cover!

I don't think there is any reason for this book to sell for this much. I bought a raw copy at a LCS for $4, had it CGC'd and it came back a 9.4. The dealer had three other copies, all that would likely grade 9.4. This was just last fall.

Now GPA shows the last 9.6 sale as $228 and the last 9.4 sale as $153, just this month. There is nothing that has happened since October and now that makes this book go from a $4 book (so maybe $20 in CGC 9.4) to a $150+ book now.

I agree that it should be common in 9.4 at least. It's just that it is so common, only 28 people have had a copy graded, out of the 100's of thousands made. GPA is only tracking 14 sales to date, and some of those are probably multiple sales of the same copy.

These are sucker prices, but I'm glad you pointed it out. Time to make the rounds and see how many raw 9.4's and better I can find to have slabbed, before people come to their senses.

Actually, most copies I have seen (and I have owned a dozen or so personally), have some sort of spine ding(s) or corner ding(s) due to being in bargain bins for so long. There are a few late 70s Adams covers (an Action or two and a couple of Flash issues come to mind) that can be tough to find in strict NM at your LCS or cons.

Cool cover (almost a classic) but it's late '70s, so it should be common in grade.

Unless this is the start of the late Bronze boom...

Actually, from my experience, distribution went down in the mid-late 70s (at least DCs), and basically most title around for that 30cent-35cent change are generally more difficult to find. I see a very similar trend across all of my DC titles around this timeframe. Not impossible, but not trvial either.

because some of us are nuts? I paid less for mine but not much.

I think this is more correct then not. As collectors we are all nutso sometimes and this auction bears that out.

Cool cover (almost a classic) but it's late '70s, so it should be common in grade.

Unless this is the start of the late Bronze boom...

Actually, from my experience, distribution went down in the mid-late 70s (at least DCs), and basically most title around for that 30cent-35cent change are generally more difficult to find. I see a very similar trend across all of my DC titles around this timeframe. Not impossible, but not trvial either.

Good point. I would also argue that the cover stock became flimsier from the 15 through 35 cent cover prices. In the few OO collections I have pilfered, the 15 centers were in better shape than the 30/35 cent books under the same storage conditions. DCs also did not hold up as well as the Marvels.