• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you find original art?

10 posts in this topic

I have never dabbled in original art collecting but I am interested in how folks go about finding original art for their favorite comics or artists or characters. For example, if someone were to want a few pages from Fantastic Four #288, do they try to contact the artists involved to see if they have the cover or pages or know where they are? Or do they just let the word percolate through original art collectors circuit and hope someone gets back to them? Is there a vast database of what has been made available for collectors and what is still in a vault somewhere?

The ways vary based on what type of art you like (e.g., marvel, DC, independent, underground, lowbrow, etc.). This also affects where in the publication stream the art is available. For instance, today marvel and DC art is typically split between the various individuals who work on the book.

Years ago, art was found by establishing contacts at conventions, galleries and networking through ads in fanzines and auctions. Several of these individuals and dealers are still around today. You could also try finding the artist through local phonebooks.

The methods have also changed slightly due to the advancement of computers.

You have most of the information you need at your fingertips. Search for the artist website and send the individual an email or talk to them in person at a convention. Be aware that some artists have arrangements to funnel their stuff through one or more individuals. In this case it is best to try to talk to the artist in person to avoid paying the middle person fee. Not all artists are interested in talking to individuals except for those they have arrangements to funnel stuff through.

Buying on the second market will almost always be more expensive.

As with most things, there are some good people and some not so good people in this field.

Good luck,

Edwin

Good question and one I've ofter wondered myself.

I've only been collecting for less than a year now and I collect Marvel Superhero art from the 60s/70s/80s so going to the artist is not an option.

I check Heritage every week. eBay, CAF, the Comicart-L list and comic link every day and am on a lot of dealers notify-list and still am sure that I only see a fraction of the art that is really available.

I think a lot of it has to do with connections and knowing people. Since I'm geographically challenged I don't get to go to cons and will probably never meet many other collectors in real life. But the longer I collect the more people I (virtually) meet, so I'm positive for the future (thumbs u

I generally just look at CAF. My collecting is very focused and usually involves contacting other collectors.

All of the above. Beyond contacting the artist that pencils the work, you should give the inker a try; my wife found me a terrific L.E.G.I.O.N. cover by contacting Al Gordon.

Also, swing past the various dealers that offer comic art. You won't get a bargain but you might find the one piece that you really want.