• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Silver Stander

19 posts in this topic

Like many other people, some in the media, some in government, some in the finance field, I'm of the impression that we are in a recession. However, the prices of our little hobby do not seem to reflect that fact. Not at all.

Here's a nice piece of the Silver Surfer standing without his surfboard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TTA-92-2up-artwork-earliest-SilverSurfer-splash-SEVERIN_W0QQitemZ120276669878QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

It is a very nice image, however, if someone could reveal to me what tether the price of this page has to reality, I would appreciate it. Again, this has nothing to do with any specific dealer, but merely an example in my attempt to analyze the current market for our little hobby.

(No, I'm not calling for the return of KK or any of his various schizophrenic persona, and he was always partial to Spiderman anyway).

Thanks.

- A

If Chris is reading, just let me say . . . No Comment. :jokealert:

But, secretly, just between me and you, Artemis . . . :gossip:

:grin:

:frustrated:

Aw, man...I was looking forward to the treatise on the structure of the donnelly-pricing model....and I get nada. :sorry:

C

If Chris is reading, just let me say . . . No Comment. :jokealert:

But, secretly, just between me and you, Artemis . . . :gossip:

:grin:

:frustrated:

Aw, man...I was looking forward to the treatise on the structure of the donnelly-pricing model....and I get nada. :sorry:

C

Too late . . . Artemis is sworn to secrecy on this one! ;)

Like you, Artemis, I enjoy the image. Plus, it is the Silver Surfer and, per the listing, the earliest surviving (that we know of) OA of the silver-skinned one.

And there's some Hulk-action in there so that would seem to worthy of a bump-up in price. Plus, it's old (1966? '67?) and a full splash and, of late, it seems that Marie Severin's work is getting more collector interest. All of which would seem to give it added value.

Even with all of that, I wouldn't have been surprised to see the page listed in the high four digits instead of the mid-five range. Seems to me like there's a healthy dealer mark-up with this one.

Like you, Artemis, I enjoy the image. Plus, it is the Silver Surfer and, per the listing, the earliest surviving (that we know of) OA of the silver-skinned one.

Hal -

You are ever the voice of reason. Thanks for contributing to this thread.

The listing only says that it is the earliest known "splash" of the Silver Surfer of which the dealer is aware.

While I don't own any, I'm of the belief that the OA exists from FF 48-50 which is the first story arc in which the Silver Surfer appeared and which I believe would predate this page. Also, those pages would have been drawn by Jack Kirby, whose work currently is somewhat more in demand than that of Marie Severin, although she did a great job on this page.

The only thing I can thiink of is that the page must be amazing in person, it is twice up, Severin does a full fledged Kirby homage in it, and the Surfer image has to be about 20" tall, which would make for a spectacular in person viewing experience.

Thus, the seller either doesn't really want to sell it, or for some reason, wants to advertise in a very public manner that he has it.

Still though, no real answers as to why this page is priced at this amount.

- A

Well, the seller is coolinesart, aka the Donnelly brothers. They've had a bunch of stuff on ebay for years with high BIN's, so their price tag on this offering doesn't surprise me at all. I think they just want to advertise it so someone will make an offer or work out a trade.

Well, the seller is coolinesart, aka the Donnelly brothers. They've had a bunch of stuff on ebay for years with high BIN's, so their price tag on this offering doesn't surprise me at all. I think they just want to advertise it so someone will make an offer or work out a trade.

But how do you make an offer when you think fair value is maybe 1/4th or 1/3rd of listed price?

But how do you make an offer when you think fair value is maybe 1/4th or 1/3rd of listed price?

Make a trade offer, and value your art at x 4 of its probable worth (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em).

Seriously, it's difficult to take jokers like this seriously . . .

Exactly. My offer would not even share the same universe as their asking price. That's why I wouldn't waste any time dealing with the Donnellys. If I see their name attached to a piece of art, I just move on.