• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever buy it for the artwork only?

18 posts in this topic

I think I’ve read most of the listings on this board and I’ve enjoyed them. I’m still looking for my first piece of OA while trying to find just the right piece at the right price.

Because OA is different than fine art, I wonder if anyone here ever buys a piece of artwork just because they like the artwork.

Not because they like the characters (Spidey, FF, whatever) involved or the storyline (such as Watchmen).

Not even because they want an example from a particular artist (like Kirby, Ditko or Bolland). Not even for investment value which, I know, is very much LIKE fine art.

But just because they really like the artwork itself even if it lacks the right character, storyline, or bigname artist.

I think I’ve read most of the listings on this board and I’ve enjoyed them. I’m still looking for my first piece of OA while trying to find just the right piece at the right price.

Because OA is different than fine art, I wonder if anyone here ever buys a piece of artwork just because they like the artwork.

Not because they like the characters (Spidey, FF, whatever) involved or the storyline (such as Watchmen).

Not even because they want an example from a particular artist (like Kirby, Ditko or Bolland). Not even for investment value which, I know, is very much LIKE fine art.

But just because they really like the artwork itself even if it lacks the right character, storyline, or bigname artist.

Most certainly....this happens all the time.

I saw some work by an artist at the WW Chicago show this weekend that I had never heard of of characters I did not know or recognize (it wasn't super hero art at all) and I looked through his originals and I saw genius there.

He was represented by a gallery for sales so I could not get any pieces this weekend. I have to wait to hear from the gallery first, otherwise I could show you what I am talking about.

C

There's a Promethea piece I like by artist J.H. Williams. I've never read Promethea. I don't really know anything about J.H. Williams.

The artwork really catches my eye. But I haven't been able to take the next step and buy it probably because I don't have any other connection to it. Is that weird or what?

I actually haven't bought any OA just for the art. Don't get me wrong though, the art is the biggest factor but it is usually accompanied by a story I really love or something sentimental like a page from the first comic I ever got (which happened to be Ult. Wolverine vs Hulk #1 by the awesome Leinil Yu!).

I bought an obscure page featuring Aurora waking up in the morning. No reason other than it looked really cool. Usually i'm very specific with what I buy, but it grabbed me.

I have bought artwork before just based on the art and not the story.

However, when it's time to trim the collection, those always float to the top of the cull list.

However, I still continue to buy art based on art only!

Malvin

Here's a piece of art I bought about ten years ago.

Saw it in a catalog, over here in the UK, and was really impressed by the small b&w repro.

It was the cover art to an early 1970s edition of LOOK & LEARN magazine (a UK publication, for boys, that carried a number of famous home-grown strips - including TRIGAN EMPIRE by Don Lawrence).

The piece was reasonably priced, so I bought on the strength of the samll catalog image.

The artwork is actually full-color painted art. The attention to detail, by artist Patrick Nicholle, is just amazing. All the chain mail is intricately drawn - as is the horse's hairs! No short-cuts here.

Pat Nicholle was an authority on this era of history. When I went to school, our library used to carry books featuring the artist's illustrations on knights and armour. He was an authority on such things.

b7xpbr.jpg

Yes. I bought some Time Beavers panel page art by Tim Truman. I wasn't familiar with Tim or the obscure characters but I really liked the inking on those pages.

I even bought an unknown video gamebox art by Tim for the same reason. The art looked interesting and I loved the inks. This time I was familiar with Tim's work but he was hardly a superstar.

Cheers!

N

Of course, why else would you buy it? Art is like comics you should collect because you love it, I've picked up pieces because they were a good price but if I didn't like them I would never have bought them. Otherwise you end up with a lot of junk you don't have room for. Just my 2c

Of course, why else would you buy it?

Nostalgia ? Owning a piece of history ?

I've never bought a piece of art for the artwork only and don't think I ever will.

Even when I was reading comics I was more interested in the storyline, the characters, the history behind them, the whole togetherness of the Marvel Universe etc... For years after reading I comic I couldn't really tell you who the artist was (save a few very distinctive styles like Kirby and Sal Buscema).

I buy pages because I like them, love them even because they are a piece of my childhood or because I love the fact that this unique piece was drawn and then printed and read by 100s of 1000s of kids back in the day.

Having said all of this I must admit that I would never buy a piece with a large historical or nostalgic value if the art sucked either. The balance has to be just right

Of course, why else would you buy it? Art is like comics you should collect because you love it, I've picked up pieces because they were a good price but if I didn't like them I would never have bought them. Otherwise you end up with a lot of junk you don't have room for. Just my 2c

I think you should re-read the initial question. I collect character and artist-specific artwork and I love it and I don't think any of the pieces I own is junk (this, of course, is personal opinion).

Just because I haven't purchased something that isn't character or artist-driven in no way diminishes my love for the page. I love spiderman, Keown Hulk, Romita Jr artwork and my collection reflects my interests.

Yes, I have. I'm certain I will again.

Another question to ask, then, is whether anyone here has bought artwork that they DIDN'T like...just because it featured a specific character, was part of a special storyline, or was by an artist that they wanted to collect.

Which is something I haven't done.

I have nearly exhausted my comic book want list. So, now if I am at a big Con, one of my favorite things to do is wander through the small press/indie tables with a sketch book asking for quick scribbles from the up-and-comers. Usually, they are so bored that they'll do a pretty good work of art for free.

While they doodle, I check out any original work that they have for sale and pick up the ones that catch my eye. Typically these will be artists with no name recognition and works that have been seen by the bare minimum of fandom. I have my likes and dislikes and I buy accordingly. I always try to get simpler works that I can share with my older daughter (as I try any avenue I can to get her interested in the hobby). I also like pieces that show-off a certain amount of technical ability and draftsmanship.

I always think about the guys who bought Picassos 100 years ago - just because they liked them. And Henry Walters in Baltimore who created a collection and had a museum built around it. Those people saw art as something for the ages - the prices were the retail cost for collecting culture. I sometimes feel that the original art that we accumulate is being preserved for posterity. In the old days pages were discarded, destroyed, used as table coverings, etc.

The future will tell us if we are correct, but I really believe that comics will be viewed as a higher form of art someday.

I get a number of pieces just for the art, many times I have never heard of the artist, just like the piece. Here are two examples.

zorro.jpg

Fred Fredericks

TagalogKlasiks1344_cvr.jpg

Nestor Leonidez