• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

258 Comics Away From EVERY DC

128 posts in this topic

Congratulations on a truly amazing collecting feat. As to the Tales of the Teen Titans Annual... I don't think this exists. I used to have all of this series that I got when I worked at a comic store and if a Teen Titans came in I would grab it but a TOTTTA #5 never came. This might be one of those error listings that Overstreet puts in to see who copies the entries in the Guide.

I've only got 258 to go before I have EVERY DC comic ever released to date since 1935. With especial thanks to Paul Sassienie, Jonathan Browne, Vincent Zurzulo, Stephen Fishler, Harley Yee, Joe Verenault, and too many others to list, if you'll allow me, here are the 258 I'm still missing. If anyone can help with any affordable low grades please, then e-mail me at ian.levine@btconnect.com

Thanks and I hope you don't mind me putting up the list. It's getting very exciting now.

{list snipped}

Well, at least here's one guy not buying Superboys anymore to muck up my attempt at a full run of them.

Good luck with what you need. It's most impressive.

Answering A Load More Questions

1 - Believe me, the day I find a Buzzy 70 I shall be deliriously happy.

2 - I want to thank Rich for his very kind and thoughtful posting about going to flea markets and antique shops with my list. It was exactly that kind of help I was craving that made me publicly post the list, when up till now I've purposely remained intentionally low key. Other areas I've been involved in (like records and Doctor Who) have proven so person_without_enough_empathyy and vitriolic that I retired in disgust, but you lot seem a genuinely nice and helpful bunch.

3 - I have a big tape library in my house with hundreds of shelves in aisles, and I moved loads of tapes to accomodate the comics. Before that they were stored eight deep in four huge floor to ceiling cupboards for the last twenty years.

4 - I didn't actually buy two copies of Sugar and Spike 2, I just bought one of them. Rich Muchin found me one at the same time as John Verzyl did, within a day of each other. I bought John's because it was cheaper and similar grade, and I believe Rich Muchin (Tomorrow's Treasures) still has it for sale.

5 - Thankyou to Flying Donut (don't know your name) for the Baltimore lead and the effort to find me stuff. While I ask you all not to bid on stuff I need on e-bay in an attempt to help, which in effect would have the opposite effect, I'd still appreciate any private tips of anything on e-bay I might have accidentally missed, and also I urge and encourage you all to look out for my missing 258 plus the promotional stuff anywhere else you can find them, and I would be SO grateful to you, honest.

6 - I think Richard Machinson has bought a few off Basement Comics for me, although I don't think they're particularly cheap, but we needed them. I have to try to find bargains, simply because if you're buying just Batmans or Green Lanterns, then with a lot less comics to go at, you can afford to pay for higher grades, but trying to complete a collection of thirty thousand DCs, you HAVE to put your foot down when people won't budge on a price that's higher than you wanna pay. Sometimes it hurts but you gotta just walk away and say no. There's a guy right now with an All American 16 in bad condition (clearly fair to poor from his scan) yet he wants seven thousand for it, won't come down in price, and says it should be eight thousand and that it's an eight thousand dollar book. But that's [!@#%^&^] - it's only an eight thousand dollar book if it's a genuine good, not some tatty copy falling apart with tape all over it and a big hole out of the front cover. I offered him five thousand for it, but he won't budge, so I refuse on principle to pay the seven he wants. I'd rather find a restored copy. I happen to like restored books. But to go back to Basement Comics, yes I'd love that Supergear Comics, as long as it's twenty bucks and not two hundred.

7 - I have all the DC/Marvel crossovers and all the Amalgams and the trade paperbacks. Of course I would buy any Marvel with a DC link, just like the current JLA/Avengers series.

8 - Are you serious about Overstreet having deliberate mistakes ??????? Surely NOBODY could be that callous and disrespectful to serious collectors who rely on the guide for genuine information. If this is true then I feel sickened. As for the Teen Titans Annual 5, while not being sure it exists, I am not yet convinced that it doesn't either. Paul Sassienie seems to thiunk bot the Teen Titans annual and the Dragonlance annual are bona fide.

9 - I am proud to have every Superboy and publicly thank Richard Machinson from Quicksilver who got me the very last two I needed a few weeks ago.

Ian Levine.

8 - Are you serious about Overstreet having deliberate mistakes ??????? Surely NOBODY could be that callous and disrespectful to serious collectors who rely on the guide for genuine information. If this is true then I feel sickened. As for the Teen Titans Annual 5, while not being sure it exists, I am not yet convinced that it doesn't either. Paul Sassienie seems to thiunk bot the Teen Titans annual and the Dragonlance annual are bona fide.

Apparently it's a common practice amongst price-guide writers to include some erroneous data in order to trap anyone that might copy their data wholesale and call it their own.

Other areas I've been involved in (like records and Doctor Who) have proven so person_without_enough_empathyy and vitriolic that I retired in disgust, but you lot seem a genuinely nice and helpful bunch.

You obviously don't know us well yet. Give us a chance and we can be as person_without_enough_empathyy and vitriolic as any other group of freaks. smile.gif

Congrats on the Superboys! If you have any doubles, I might want to take them off your hands. Some are darn hard to find. I'm talking about the original title, not More Fun or Adventure.

Have you found it easier to find comics you need since the avent of EBAY? I also collect just about every DC and MARVEL and have found more in the last couple of years. My collection grew in the last few years then it did in a long time. I actually need something like a 115 to complete what I collect. I'm pretty picky as far as condition on them. I could easily pick some issues up on ebay if it wasn't for the condition of some of them, and then I'd have a complete collection. How long have you been putting your comic collection together? For me; I never stopped, so its been all my life.

Apparently it's a common practice amongst price-guide writers to include some erroneous data in order to trap anyone that might copy their data wholesale and call it their own.

Looks like it is listed in the Standard Catalog of Comic Books as well, so I imagine it does exist....but then again why is it so difficult to find??

Buzzy???? whos Buzzy?

anyway obviously I was kidding around. I think its amazing what youve accomplished. I know Chris and her journey is always amazing to hear. But I never thought others were also trying the same feat. Good luck. Doesnt Michelle Nolan have the elusive Buzzy in question? and wont let go??

Looks like it is listed in the Standard Catalog of Comic Books as well, so I imagine it does exist....but then again why is it so difficult to find??

CBG had to start with something to create their price guides. chances are it was Overstreet. So copying the on-purpose mistake into their database might have been what happenned, and wont be revealed until Gemstone were to press charges.... which might never be worthwhile. So who knows if it really exist, or if its one of the on-purpose phantom comics in Overstreet.

Yes but SOMEONE must know.

Or maybe DC themselves SHOULD know.

Come on all you experts.

IS THERE A TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS ANNUAL 5 OR NOT ???

Someone must know the truth.

IS THERE A DRAGONALNCE ANNUAL ???

Someone must also know the truth.

Can someone just ask Bob Overstreet ???

Also, do the 7 issues of DC promotional "Masters Of The Universe" exist as well ???

It's much easier just collecting More Funs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

(But costlier).

Man, I thought I had one of the Adventure of Jerry Lewis you needed, but it was just a few issues off.

As for the rest Only about 5% of my collection is DC, so can't help right now. I will keep an eye out like the rest as it is truly incredible that you have been able to amass an almost complete DC collection.

Heck I would be happy to just complete my Bronze Age key set. Good Luck to you in this quest, we are all rooting for you!!! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thankyou for the kind wishes. I need every bit of help I can get, or I'll never finish it.

PLEASE can anyone give me any leads of affordable low grades.

Once Doug Sulipa has checked his inventory, I should be down to about two hundred and thirty, and I'll post up an updated list.

In the meantime PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone find out for certain whether the Tales Of the Teen Titans Annual 5, the Dragonlance Annual 1, and the seven promotional DC issues of Masters Of The Universe actually exist ????

Please guys - I really really do need to find out.

You have my unending thanks.

Ian Levine.

please shoot me for suggesting this...but try looking them up on the Mile High Comics website. If they have a picture of it - - it exists. and its probaby for sale at 50% off!!

50% off some absurd crack-induced list price!