• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Well better stated sound off if you have one, although three is just hogging.

Two are for sale, I was working on a thread for the ASM in my spares registry. I made three pictures and the camera battery died. I can't make a clear picture with the scanner, so I'll do try again tomorrow.

:baiting: Buy these so I can afford the other one. Night,

My #1 collecting goal is to have one of these some day.

I would take the (3.5) from these two books, but if the (9.0) were just color touch I would take that one. I wont knowingly accept any trimmed books in my collection.

20K ... really Flash 105 (shrug) Even without the trimming unfortunately it would hardly (in the current market) have legs for +20K. Dont get me wrong - without the trim-job it would be an absolutely stunning copy. I just tend to believe that the purple lable currently is way too stigmatized to make the book (without the trim) pass 20 K. Maybe thats just me ...

If it were untrimmed it would be a 20K+ book though. I guess that is the price for the sin of trimming.

My point though was, although the (9.0) is a beautiful book and the trimming brought the price down thousands of dollars, I would rather have a much lesser copy, even lower than the (3.5) than a trimmed copy.

You are probably right. Prices on 90 plods have been anywhere between 6-15k since 2007. My thougt was since he last blue 90 sold for 60k then an untrimmed 90 this nice should get between twenty and twenty five percent of that price. I lean toward the 90 than the 35 because I know that 90 even with the trimming was a nicer book.

Well if you look at the census for the AF15, and the ASM 1, that is part of why the PLODS are cheap. There are 31 PLOD AF15's so far at 9.0 or higher. There are only 15 unrestored copies that high so far.

The ASM 1 is much less expensive and there are only 21/27 of those respectively at 9.0 or more.

You have a real good chance of finding the restored AF15's because so far 1 out of 3 are restored CGC books.

Choose your books by the supply and the purpose? Is it to keep or sell after going up in value? I think the restored books are going to be left far behind in value, the blue labeled books are the best investments, and grades.

I also think that the PLOD stigma (and thus the discount) is much higher in Silver than in Gold. Many of the Gold keys are quite tough in blue labels, and collectors of that material are therefore much more willing to accept restoration because it is common and accepted in those books.

For me, too, I feel like Gold restoration is usually done for the sake of preservation and appearance while most (not all, but a lot of) restoration on Silver books was likely done years ago on the sly to deceive. For me that is another factor in hating PLODs for Silver Age books, even an otherwise gorgeous 9.0 AF 15. Why else would someone color touch and trim a book that was likely an easy 8.0 before the work? It may seem silly, but the intent behind the restoration does color my perception of the work and the book.