• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

The silver age continual price increases have a spinoff effect on bronze age mega keys like hulk 181. They view hulk 181 as the bronze top key to hang onto just like af15 is top silver book. GL76 is not anywhere near where hulk 181 is in terms of collectability. GL76 should be at $700 where it was in OSPG #38. Neal Adams work is nice but not that nice to warrant $2000 in 9.2. Actual sales are double that which makes it way over inflated. Yes XMen 94, and X-Men GS #1 are available but the demand is overwhelming.

Your analysis factors in demand quite well, but it appears to completely ignore supply. That's just a huge mistake, and it's the reason you erroneously think Hulk 181 is undervalued and GL76 is overvalued, because you're not taking into consideration how many copies of those books are available to fill the demand each respectively has. I do agree that Hulk 181 is in far greater demand than GL76, but empirical evidence (people here saying how tough GL76 is to find in grade coupled with GPA sales counts) and the CGC Census suggests that the supply of GL76 is low, hence the seemingly-high prices we usually see on it.

CGC 9.8 books will be climbing back up again to multiples seen in the past as people chase for the best in higrade.

I disagree. If the multiples for 9.8 were sustainable they would have been sustained instead of more or less steadily decreasing. When record high prices are paid for the first 9.8 copies in a low pop census, and then steadily decline after that, that says a lot about the quality of the demand at those price points. Hulk 181 and GS X-Men 1 have been fairly flat, as the demand has generally been enough to maintain prices but not raise them. GL76 is in a period of demand outstripping supply by a considerable margin, but it will be interesting to see if this demand is maintained or if this is just the current "it" book.

You assume a huge new source of demand to keep prices going up. Where is this demand coming from?

CGC 9.8 books will be climbing back up again to multiples seen in the past as people chase for the best in higrade.

Currently on Clink there are 4 copies of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.8 listed, all with an asking price of $25,000. Two of those copies have bids of $15,000. This leads me to believe that there is zero interest at the former high of $25,000, and there is even lackluster interest at $15,000 for that book (33% off the record price). Clink shows two recent sales at 9.6, one at $3,800 and one at $4,100. Assuming a $15,000 sales price for the 9.8 copies, that leaves us with about a 3.75x multiple between the 9.6 price and 9.8. Recent 9.4 sales/bids range in the $2,500-$3,000 zone, for about a 5x multiple between the 9.8 and 9.4 prices. This, to me, seems sustainable and reasonable. Increases in those multiples on this book seem unlikely.

Okay, I've got two AF15's for sale. One is headed to CGC now, probably an apparent 5.0, and the better one is still raw here. I posted pictures before here.

What would be a better sell, a signed or an unsigned AF15? The same question really for an ASM 1, I have two of those as well to let go. These are the best I could find 25 years ago with no connections where I am. I'd like to find restored copies of those which look better. My collection was never for investment, just for myself. Regards,

What would be a better sell, a signed or an unsigned AF15?

I prefer unsigned, but that is just me. You just can't improve upon the natural beauty of an AF 15. I'd rather get autographs on something else, and frankly you don't know how that marker is going to look in 10-15 years or more. Leave them fresh and unsigned is my vote!

I prefer unsigned, but that is just me. You just can't improve upon the natural beauty of an AF 15. I'd rather get autographs on something else, and frankly you don't know how that marker is going to look in 10-15 years or more. Leave them fresh and unsigned is my vote!

+1000!

FWIW though, he's not looking to know what the book will be like from then since he's aiming to sell them. :grin: Generally speaking, SS'd copies do sell for a higher premium than unsigned copies.

Generally speaking, SS'd copies do sell for a higher premium than unsigned copies.

Yeah, I'll grant you that SS books will sell for more, just not to me. 2c

BTW, I've often wondered if you can get a SS label if you have an interior page signed. Does anyone know offhand? I might actually work on some SS if I wouldn't have to get the front cover signed. I like autographs, but I also like a nice unmarred cover...

Generally speaking, SS'd copies do sell for a higher premium than unsigned copies.

BTW, I've often wondered if you can get a SS label if you have an interior page signed. Does anyone know offhand? I might actually work on some SS if I wouldn't have to get the front cover signed. I like autographs, but I also like a nice unmarred cover...

I think you can.

Most people get the cover signed because you can put the comic in a window bag. That way the book is never taken out of the bag by the creator and less likely to be damaged further.

If I ever get my AF #15 signed, I'd want it signed on the 1st page too. 2c

Absolutely you can sign the interior. That is the way I would do it.

Absolutely you can sign the interior. That is the way I would do it.

Isn't that forgery. :baiting: