• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Anyone have any opinion about whether or not they would buy an AF15 with Marvel chipping?

Does the grade and/or level of chipping matter?

Or is it a deal breaker period?

Lastly, has anyone seen instances where the Marvel chipping gets worse or starts after a comic is slabbed?

Anyone have any opinion about whether or not they would buy an AF15 with Marvel chipping?

Lastly, has anyone seen instances where the Marvel chipping gets worse or starts after a comic is slabbed?

I try not to buy any books with chipping. It's a common defect in the early 60s due to cheap paper and dull cutting blades used. AF15, Hulk 1 and FF 1s might be the most commonly found chipped keys. The dark covers on the AF15 and Hulk 1 make chipping look even nastier in my opinion. Seems like chipping was over looked more in the 80s and 90s. I remember not really caring if it was present or not. Premiums are paid today for chip free books today. I've seen CGC give 6.0s to books with chipping due to it being a manufacturing defect. I can't see a book grading higher than 5.0/5.5 with some level of chipping.

Marvels are plentiful and so one should stay patient and get a chip free copy. Unless the eye appeal is so good otherwise and the buyer is happy. The white mountain Hulk 1 is a prime example---graded 8.0 with chipping but the spine and edges really would make it a 9.0+ otherwise.

Most books were chipped or started to chip the moment they were cut and bound and were never "near mint" prior to hitting the newsstands.

I try not to buy any books with chipping. It's a common defect in the early 60s due to cheap paper and dull cutting blades used. AF15, Hulk 1 and FF 1s might be the most commonly found chipped keys. The dark covers on the AF15 and Hulk 1 make chipping look even nastier in my opinion. Seems like chipping was over looked more in the 80s and 90s. I remember not really caring if it was present or not. Premiums are paid today for chip free books today. I've seen CGC give 6.0s to books with chipping due to it being a manufacturing defect. I can't see a book grading higher than 5.0/5.5 with some level of chipping.

Marvels are plentiful and so one should stay patient and get a chip free copy. Unless the eye appeal is so good otherwise and the buyer is happy. The white mountain Hulk 1 is a prime example---graded 8.0 with chipping but the spine and edges really would make it a 9.0+ otherwise.

Most books were chipped or started to chip the moment they were cut and bound and were never "near mint" prior to hitting the newsstands.

Good perspective. Follow-up questions:

Is chipping a reality in most (not all, just most) low grade books? Since it is already a low grade, does it really impact price?

Have you seen instances where the Marvel chipping gets worse or starts after a comic is slabbed?

Is chipping a reality in most (not all, just most) low grade books? Since it is already a low grade, does it really impact price?

Have you seen instances where the Marvel chipping gets worse or starts after a comic is slabbed?

one could look up keys on eBay or clink and take a small sample size to see which copies are chipped. I would not limit chipping to just low grade books. I've seen plenty of otherwise 8.0-9.0 range books that were downgraded due to chipping and other defects. Of the three marvel keys I mentioned, chipping is very common. Chipping is less common in 1964 on books. Price wise, take a 3.0 with chipping and 3.0 without chipping--price point factors would range from eye appeal, PQ, etc. some folks will take a chipped book and pay less to satisfy their collection. Like PQ, some collectors only want chip free books. Some dealers (Rick) only buy chip free keys.

As far as chipping worsening post Slabbing, not sure. I have seen slabs flatten or appeal to pull the paper chips away from the cover. Seems to me books that have pre marvel tears have worsened over time if the edges are not handled with care.

one could look up keys on eBay or clink and take a small sample size to see which copies are chipped. I would not limit chipping to just low grade books. I've seen plenty of otherwise 8.0-9.0 range books that were downgraded due to chipping and other defects. Of the three marvel keys I mentioned, chipping is very common. Chipping is less common in 1964 on books. Price wise, take a 3.0 with chipping and 3.0 without chipping--price point factors would range from eye appeal, PQ, etc. some folks will take a chipped book and pay less to satisfy their collection. Like PQ, some collectors only want chip free books. Some dealers (Rick) only buy chip free keys.

As far as chipping worsening post Slabbing, not sure. I have seen slabs flatten or appeal to pull the paper chips away from the cover. Seems to me books that have pre marvel tears have worsened over time if the edges are not handled with care.

Specifically on AF15 - I have been watching for the past few months and for the most part there is a large presence of chipping across multiple grades...seemingly un-affecting price. Obviously the occurrence is more prevalent in the lower grade books where the grade is drawn down due to the chipping itself. This has been true on eBay and a few of the auction sites. Select silver age comic dealers have had multiple copies at differing prices seemingly due to the kinds of defects (front versus back cover damage, chipping, writing, etc) - but the price varies very little within grade (couple hundred bucks here and there on four to five figure books).

Then again, AF15 is probably a bad example of chipping versus not due to the sheer desire out there for the book. People continue to buy the book and pay more year on year - defects be *spooned*.

Just trying to understand if you buy a "no-chip" book, what are the chances it will chip while in slab. Seems like a low risk assuming I don't use my AF15 slab to wipe my (as recommended in another post).

Basically you have confirmed what I though was the best approach - buy from Rick.

(thumbs u

AF 15 is a train that keeps going--chipped or not, missing pieces, tape, missing covers--it sells period.

If the book has no chipping, it will not chip in the slab at the same notion it won't start to chip in a Mylar lol

AF 15 is a train that keeps going--chipped or not, missing pieces, tape, missing covers--it sells period.

If the book has no chipping, it will not chip in the slab at the same notion it won't start to chip in a Mylar lol

That's right, slabs are evil. :makepoint:

Long live King Mylar!!! (worship)

+ 1

And now for your "Amazing Fantasy 15 Scam on eBay" of the Week

This is corner142's copy. Most likely the real owner of the book as he has multiple pictures of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-6-0-SS-Stan-Lee-Signature-Spider-Man-1-ORIGIN-Unrestored-/140943662392?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20d0e59d38

Here is bugsy2812

Current Auction lists opportunities to win this very comic for $10 a hit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-COMIC-BOOK-AMAZING-FANTASY-15-AMZ-SPIDER-129-19-HULK-1-2-3-/200942034715?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ec9141f1b

At the same time he is listing the same book in a $90 grab bag / mystery box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-COMIC-BOOK-AMAZING-FANTASY-15-AMZ-SPIDER-129-19-HULK-1-2-3-/190868563408?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c70a725d0

Previous Auctions:

Somehow he ACTUALLY found two people that sent him money thinking they had a chance to win the book. Look at his feedback and see how many he has sold. Click on any of the people that actually left him feedback and in some you will see that 8 items were sold.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=bugsy2812&ftab=AllFeedback

I already reported it last week and this morning. This stuff really bugs me after someone took one of my images last year and used it in an effort to mislead people.

Check out the last two sales of AF 15:

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

This book is showing all the signs in the world that it is just gold.

I am glad I got my CGC 3.0 last month at the price I paid.

Oh yea add me to the freak in club! :devil:

Grail acquired and the grade I am comfortable with in owning where the money doesn't outweigh me wanting to sell it.

I finally pulled the trigger and got my personal copy, and honestly I can't see myself ever wanting to sell it unless I upgrade. I'm not over joyed with how much I have into this book, but this book will just cost you more and more everyday you wait to buy it. I should have bought this book when I was 23 when I had to chance to buy it for $1600 in the same grade! My parents thought I should not spend my first bonus check from my first job on a comic book. :whatev:

Anyway add me to the club: (will post better scans of the book once I am back from SDCC)

374bb072-1117-4c1a-8937-7c00fb070e82_zpsf8084615.jpg

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

For anyone keeping score, recently I've sold

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

3 x cgc 3.0....2@ 7500 and an exceptional copy at 7995

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

2 x cgc 4.0 @ 9500 and 9995

2 x cgc 4.5 at 10995&11995

2 x cgc 5.0 at 13995 and 14995

The book "is" solid

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

For anyone keeping score, recently I've sold

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

3 x cgc 3.0....2@ 7500 and an exceptional copy at 7995

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

2 x cgc 4.0 @ 9500 and 9995

2 x cgc 4.5 at 10995&11995

2 x cgc 5.0 at 13995 and 14995

The book "is" solid

I'm more amazed at the lower end prices. :o