• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Well, I was FINALLY able to payoff my AF #15 purchase from Adam (Filter81) from last year so I should be receiving the book shortly. I'll post new scans when I get it. It's a restored copy but boy does it look sweet! :whee:

Well.....here it is folks. My personal grail of all grails. Shipped to me via USPS Express Mail in bomb-proof packaging from Filter81 (Adam) and received yesterday (more later on Adam). My son had to sign for it because my wife and I were in Chicago all day yesterday helping my sister-in-law with computer setup and improving her house. I didn't open the package until this morning but boy was I ever happy when I first saw this cover!

AmazingFantasy15FN-VF.jpg

AmazingFantasy15FN-VFBack.jpg

As I stated before, it's a restored copy but does it ever look great! The front cover is in the 8.5-9.0 range. The back cover is what will bring the grade down (probably around a 7.0) but the overall structure of the book is just fabulous! I couldn't be happier with my 1st copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. :grin:

Very special kudos go out to Adam (Filter81) for making this purchase a reality. It took me a LOT longer to pay for this than I expected, but because Adam has the patience of Job we both stuck it out and made it happen. Thanks again Adam for making my dream of owning a nice copy of AF #15 a reality! (worship)(worship)

I just (very carefully) read through the book and will be forwarding it on to CGC shortly for slabbing. (thumbs u

Well, I was FINALLY able to payoff my AF #15 purchase from Adam (Filter81) from last year so I should be receiving the book shortly. I'll post new scans when I get it. It's a restored copy but boy does it look sweet! :whee:

Well.....here it is folks. My personal grail of all grails. Shipped to me via USPS Express Mail in bomb-proof packaging from Filter81 (Adam) and received yesterday (more later on Adam). My son had to sign for it because my wife and I were in Chicago all day yesterday helping my sister-in-law with computer setup and improving her house. I didn't open the package until this morning but boy was I ever happy when I first saw this cover!

As I stated before, it's a restored copy but does it ever look great! The front cover is in the 8.5-9.0 range. The back cover is what will bring the grade down (probably around a 7.0) but the overall structure of the book is just fabulous! I couldn't be happier with my 1st copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. :grin:

Very special kudos go out to Adam (Filter81) for making this purchase a reality. It took me a LOT longer to pay for this than I expected, but because Adam has the patience of Job we both stuck it out and made it happen. Thanks again Adam for making my dream of owning a nice copy of AF #15 a reality! (worship)(worship)

I just (very carefully) read through the book and will be forwarding it on to CGC shortly for slabbing. (thumbs u

Very nice book. I still remember the day my copy made it to me through the mail.

What is particularly crappy about the listing is that it has had for a year one of those bids that's so close to the asking price that it's senseless for the seller to not accept it. Whether the bid is real or not, it stinks of either shill or an overly-stern seller. ComicLink should really remove these types of defunct bids, PARTICULARLY when they're so close to the asking price, as they can hurt the listing as much as they can help it.

What is particularly crappy about the listing is that it has had for a year one of those bids that's so close to the asking price that it's senseless for the seller to not accept it. Whether the bid is real or not, it stinks of either shill or an overly-stern seller. ComicLink should really remove these types of defunct bids, PARTICULARLY when they're so close to the asking price, as they can hurt the listing as much as they can help it.

Man, I can't believe collectors are wanting to purchase that Edenwald copy. That's a big deal to have holes punched in it. That's a PERCENT of the book missing !

I'd rather spend $20k and get a complete bound volume.

To each his own... :preach:

Man, I can't believe collectors are wanting to purchase that Edenwald copy. That's a big deal to have holes punched in it. That's a PERCENT of the book missing !

The CGC Qualified grade is mostly useless, and this book is a perfect example of one that should never have gotten it. It's painfully obvious that nobody actually thinks this book is a 9.4...so why qualify it? Qualifying a book like this essentially means it's ungraded, because what we really need to know is what CGC would grade it at with the punched holes factored in. Maybe it's a 6.0? 6.5? Until we know that, we don't know where to place it within the context of market pricing. (shrug)

I'd be fine with the Qualified grade if it included two grades--the Qualified grade, and the grade the book would get with the defect factored in. Lacking the defect-included grade, the green label is mostly useless. :screwy:

The CGC Qualified grade is mostly useless, and this book is a perfect example of one that should never have gotten it. It's painfully obvious that nobody actually thinks this book is a 9.4...so why qualify it? Qualifying a book like this essentially means it's ungraded, because what we really need to know is what CGC would grade it at with the punched holes factored in. Maybe it's a 6.0? 6.5? Until we know that, we don't know where to place it within the context of market pricing. (shrug)

I'd be fine with the Qualified grade if it included two grades--the Qualified grade, and the grade the book would get with the defect factored in. Lacking the defect-included grade, the green label is mostly useless. :screwy:

Well said. (thumbs u

That's what I figure most collectors would feel about this book.

Last Bid: $8,200 (Reserve Not Met). The highest bid this book received was $8200 in Clink May 2009 auction. For $30k, its obvious an unrestored 7.0 is better buy

That's what I figure most collectors would feel about this book.

Last Bid: $8,200 (Reserve Not Met). The highest bid this book received was $8200 in Clink May 2009 auction. For $30k, its obvious an unrestored 7.0 is better buy

I agree about choosing a 7.0 over the hole punch copy. It hurt my eyes :eyeroll:

Welcome to the club shark2557 :headbang:

That is a gorgeous book...I really mean it !! :takeit:

Well said. (thumbs u

+ 1

For the most part, I have to respectfully disagree.

I think the qualified grading system is one of the best CGC offers. For instance, a 9.4 book that is missing a page certainly doesn't deserve to be a 9.4, but are we to drop it down to a .5 because of it?

The qualified books tells us what the book would grade at if not for a major or minor defect. In this case, the holes are a big deal, but the rest of the book looks a lot better than a 6.0 or a 6.5.

I agree 100% that CGC should offer what the actual grade would be had they opted to grade it by their universal standards. Perhaps a qualified 9.4 and include "otherwise 6.5" on the label. Essentially, the same thing Metropolis does when they sell books that appear as a certain grade, with the exception of a major defect.

The confusing part is trying to determine what the book's market value is. Without having any sort of established track record, or something that can be tracked through GPA, we don't really know what this book is worth.

I'm in the minority when I say that I'd rather have it over a 6.5 of 7.0 universal. I would certainly opt for the blue-label from an investment perspective, but not from a personal one. What I value about grade is how well the book was able to withstand the test of time. This book has done that and then some; with the exception of the defect which is clearly important.

There are far more 6.5's floating around than there are 9.4's; with a defect or not.

If this book didn't even go past 9k before, I'd certainly try to track down the owner and try to negotiate a deal that would be fair for both parties involved.

How do I join this club? :shrug:

The easiest way is to sleep with someone already in it :gossip:

hm What do you say G.A.Y.tor? :whee:

I'd say lose the Y or buy me dinner first lol