• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,098 posts in this topic

This is a page from the upcoming graphic novel, now almost ready for internet publication. Soon after that it will come out as a book. Jack Kirby is an important character in the novel though he doesn't appear until the last ten pages. This page is not yet coloured or sized. It is from a page or two before Kirby walks out on the stage.

Jack%20Kirby.jpeg

Just got a new Samsung Galaxy Note 5phone. It came with a spring loaded stylus, and a drawing program, so I drew this because my sister was texting me big lebowski quotes. I wanted a good comeback :)

The%20dude%20by%20allen%2091216_01_zpsqcnpfwvg.jpg

Edit: I realize the quote might not be exactly right but oh well

Edited by ForlornOutcast

As some of you may or may not have noticed Ive been pretty scarce around here.

On June 11 at 4:30 AM my mother passed with family around her at Health Science Centre in Winnipeg Manitoba.

My day began like another on June 10th I had a first thing in the morning meeting with and a Health Canada rep, it was brief meeting maybe half an hour, I drove our water tester to two public buildings for weekly water samples then returned to my office. When I walked in I could here the crackle of our walkies-talkie system which our Nurses use when attending emergencies. I immediately ask "Whats the emergency" and my receptionist looked at me wide eyed and says "Your mom".

Well, I spin around and say "I'm gone" and take the 5 minuted drive to my parents. As I'm driving my mind is racing I think "The ambulance has been there before this will be like all the other trips she'll get picked up she'll stay in hospital for a bit then be released, she'll be OK" I tried to reassure myself.

When I walked into my parents home my Dad was pacing a hole in the kitchen floor muttering "She wont wake up,why wont she wake up" and my Nurses were doing what they do. I can see that this is not like all the other times she ended up in the hospital. While she was laying on the hospital bed we got her, her shirt was drenched in sweat and he mouth was hanging open a sheet of sputum would rise to the with each heaving breath and completely unresponsive.

I phoned my office to place a call to the school where my Brother works and to our band office where my other Brother was waiting for his daily duties as a heavy equipment operator to head down ASAP as this was big.

We made it to the hospital and the staff worked on her but its more then a small rural hospital could handle so they called in the air ambulance.

All the while as I drove into the city with my wife and son I tried to be a reassuring voice, I think it was more for me than them. We arrived and as the hours passed more and more family and friends would show up, hell, there must have been 50 of us at one point. A nice young doctor came and saw us and told us that her brain was Infarcted which for those of you that may not know is dead tissue due to lack of oxygen, so it was basically just a waiting game from that point on.

23 and a 1/2 hours after the Doc's think she had her stroke her heart finally stopped beating (she was a tough old bird). It was a very surreal experience I personally had been awake for about 26 hours at that point and driving through what seemed like an absolutely deserted Winnipeg at 5 AM was weird but I still had a 2 hour drive to get home on a quiet almost lonely highway. By the time I was heading into the home stretch my adrenaline was wearing off and I was pretty swervy crossing over into the other lane more then a few times but made it home safely. As with most we held a wake and it was well attended by family and friends. Thankfully we have a large family and a great deal of support for one another.

By all the standards of material success my mom never achieved, no big house,no fancy car, no big degree or big bank account but she was a mother to me and my 3 Brothers and only Sister. She was a caring surrogate that took in many of my cousins and raised them as her own when her sibling couldn't provide she became "Koko" (Grandmother) to my cousins children as well as our own. She nurtured and bought me art supplies when now that I look back at it we probably couldn't afford it because for some reason from the aether I had been given me a small modicum of talent at remembering how thinks looked and could put that on paper.

I'm sorry for the long post but for the last few months on the 10/11 I start to feel melancholy and I suppose this is a bit of therapy for me in my loneliness but this is also a reminder to pick up that phone, drop in for a cup of coffee and tell them you love them, I wish I did it more. Lawrence

Rose West, December 15,1948- June 11, 2016, I miss you Mom!

52l9ja.jpg