• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another reason to consider cameos true first appearances?

120 posts in this topic

Regardless of value's, Hulk 180 IS the first appearance of the Wolverine.

Yes, it is the First BRIEF Appearance of Wolverine (on last panel). :makepoint:

It's been that way for decades and it's like some of you just fell off the turnip truck.

It doesn't matter if it's brief or not, #180 is the first appearance however brief it was...and it was pretty brief...only one panel.

Dude, what the market dictates and what is actually considered true are two different things.

The market dictates that certain stocks are valueable when in effect it is just a myth and untrue.

What the heck are you talking about?

If the market values a stock at $XX right now, I can put a sell order in and get $XX back, which makes its current value fact and not myth.

You know what I'm talking about. It's value is not based on truth but rather perception.

:screwy:

It's been that way for decades and it's like some of you just fell off the turnip truck.

It is the first appearance. Hulk #181 is the 2nd issue he appears in hence it is the 2nd appearance. For a guy that proclaims to be smart you sure are having trouble with simple math.

R.

Gobbledygook #1 and #2 both feature back cover ads for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but neither issue is considered their first appearance.

Actually, I think the fact that many DO consider those Gobbledygooks to be the 1st appearance of the Turtles is why genuine copies fetch a couple grand each. How else can you explain the value? I mean, ad or not, before those books, the Turtles had NEVER been on any published medium so I can see why many would consider those books to be the first appearance. I know I do.

What difference does "brief" make? Appearing is "appearing," whether it's for one panel or 100.

Kinda like saying the first time didn't count as losing one's virginity because it was too "brief"... :grin::kidaround:

What difference does "brief" make? Appearing is "appearing," whether it's for one panel or 100.

Kinda like saying the first time didn't count as losing one's virginity because it was too "brief"... :grin::kidaround:

Oh Lordy, now you sound like either me or Dice X. Bless your heart. You sure are going downhill fast. lol

Any 1 or 2 panel appearance SHOULD BE CONSIDERED a 1st appearance regardless of the context. If a character appears in the last panel that is the official true 1st appearance whether any one agrees with it or not.

lollol Obviously the market does NOT agree with you, but what do those millions of people know anyway?

I can't help but feel that everyone looking to artificially raise "cameo/brief first appearances" has a few boxfuls of Hulk 181, New Mutants 86, Avengers 195, Iron Fist 13, etc. just waiting to bust out on the market. :insane:

Err - JC - I think you mean "Hulk 180" rather than "181?"

Additionally, Watchmen also first appeared in an obscure UK fanzine (it's my secret which hm ) which slightly predates the publication of DC's Watchmen no.1....

is this a first appearance? looks like it to me!

on a roll tonight folks

birmwatch.jpg

I'm confused, DC Spotlight #1 came out a year before Watchmen #1, this UK Fanzine "slightly predates the publication of DC's Watchmen no. 1" so it would be the 2nd appearance, not the "first".

Just a general reply so am replying to me.

Yes, Hulk 180 was the first appearance of Wolverine. One cannot really talk about a piece of toilet paper as a true "first appearance" unless that piece was never published. If that single piece WERE discovered it would no doubt fetch a fair amount but would not be considered an "appearance". I mean - where did it "appear"? On a bathroom floor? Stuck beneath the heel (or sole) of a shoe?

It COULD be considered the "First rendering". But not "appearance" since it did not appear in anything. If you take this logic all of the S&S Superman attempts would pre-date Action 1 and be first appearances. Or whatever hero you choose while in the formative stage.

Now as far as VALUE goes? Well, Hulk 180 is the first appearance of Wolverine but what does it tell us of Wolverine? Basically nothing. 181 actually fleshes out Wolverine into a character - crappy as the story may be. 180 would be of more value to the academian than to a collector.

Such is my opining.

Oh Lordy, now you sound like either me or Dice X. Bless your heart. You sure are going downhill fast. lol

I'm just pizzed I didn't come up with the analogy before Zipper did. :sorry:

Yes, Hulk 180 was the first appearance of Wolverine. One cannot really talk about a piece of toilet paper as a true "first appearance" unless that piece was never published. If that single piece WERE discovered it would no doubt fetch a fair amount but would not be considered an "appearance". I mean - where did it "appear"? On a bathroom floor? Stuck beneath the heel (or sole) of a shoe?

It COULD be considered the "First rendering". But not "appearance" since it did not appear in anything. If you take this logic all of the S&S Superman attempts would pre-date Action 1 and be first appearances. Or whatever hero you choose while in the formative stage.

Now as far as VALUE goes? Well, Hulk 180 is the first appearance of Wolverine but what does it tell us of Wolverine? Basically nothing. 181 actually fleshes out Wolverine into a character - crappy as the story may be. 180 would be of more value to the academian than to a collector.

Such is my opining.

Yeah, well, I'd flush that theory.

BTW... I am still enjoying these sweet tabs. :hi:

Oh - and to address this specific issue: I have no problem with considering any published first appearance of a comic book character, even one panel, as a first appearance. I agree with the "cameo" naysayers: a cameo should require an established character.

But to simply glom onto "first" if it is one or a couple of panels as being more important than the first fleshed out appearance? Well that really IS up to the market to decide. As in my previous post, I feel the academian would have the most interest in a brief first appearance.

However, I feel that even in the example of Hulk 180, that one panel was a true first appearance. But, considering the Wolverine content, I say it "So what?". If that were the ONLY appearance of Wolverine he would be less than a speck on a large sheet of flypaper. And I think this is where we should be attending. How important was that appearance?

Such is my opining.

Why don't you flush your *spoon*? It ain't doing anyone any good with what YOU'RE doing with it! :blush:lol

I know I will get used to tabs. It will take a bit - old dog...new tricks...you know the drill.

I think in this case it would be losing one's virginity to oneself that would more closely equate to a "brief" first appearance. hmmmm...fanboys....err - nevermind. :whistle:

I've been meaning to ask you, POV, WHAT THE IS YOUR AVATAR?

Do I have this to look forward to when I get old? Using random household objects as my avatar?

I suggest you use something with boobs. hm

Such is my opining.

Why don't you flush your *spoon*? It ain't doing anyone any good with what YOU'RE doing with it! :blush:lol

I know I will get used to tabs. It will take a bit - old dog...new tricks...you know the drill.

You'll get the hang of it, Rin Tin Tin. :baiting:

I've been meaning to ask you, POV, WHAT THE IS YOUR AVATAR?

Do I have this to look forward to when I get old? Using random household objects as my avatar?

I suggest you use something with boobs. hm

Yo Dice!!!!! You old ink-blooded bastich!

The avatar is a musical instrument I am just beginning to learn. Rudra Vin (or bin or veena or vina - many dialects). I worked over a year with the maker to come up with the design and specs. It was delivered to me end of last year but some of the specs needed alterations. So it will be going back in August and I will be joining it to address the details with the maker.

If you are at all familair with sitar (I started studying sitar in 1973) this is the parent of it.

Here is a link to some photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/michjon/Finished