• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Anyone Here NOT Own A CGC Graded Book?

36 posts in this topic

Does anyone's local comic shop sell a lot of slabbed books?

I recently moved to Maryland, and as Chrisco can attest to our LCS is pretty much anti-cgc so they do not sell slabbed books. However, before moving here I lived in Nebraska where my LCS did sell graded books. Well, sell is probably not the right word. They displayed slabbed books. The books that they did have slabbed were primarily mid-grade GA, surprisingly about half of them were PLOD and even then they were priced considerably more than guide. Maybe thats why they did not sell.

hi.gif I'm a complete cgc virgin. I have never even seen one in real life let alone own one. I've tried to pick a couple up only to have the prices go to ridiculous heights and bumped me out of the running confused-smiley-013.gif

Hold the tomato throwing to a min. boo.gif

Ok, now I'll admit with much shame, since the brave soul above did also....I've never even seen a CGC book in person myself either. shy.gif There were a couple I was actually thinking of submitting though, but I probably wouldn't do that until I was really bent on selling them.

As a coin collector, I still think comic books are for reading and rereading usually laying down with the pages folded over, while eating. They are meant to be enjoyed. CHRIS

And as a comic collector, I think coins are for spending, train-track amusement, drinking contests and metallurgy experiments!

thumbsup2.gifwink.gif

I did not mean to put down comic book collecting. But I look at them differently than most on the comic side. I use them for enjoyment. A half an hour of escapism( I think that is a word!). Do I save them. Yes if it is a title that I think I might want to reread. Am I worried over condition? No. As I said before I tend to do allot of reading in bed before going to sleep and while eating so both of those tend to decrease the grades of them allot. CHRIS

I recently moved to Maryland, and as Chrisco can attest to our LCS is pretty much anti-cgc so they do not sell slabbed books.

Most local comic shops are like this...and between dealing with competition from EBay and slowly becoming resigned to their transition over to becoming part-time Pokemon/Magic: the Gathering/Yu-Gi-Oh dealers and part-time employees of Steve Geppi...I guess it's understandable that they haven't put it into perspective yet. crazy.gif

hm. After studying Chrisco's and FF's avatars, I have come to the conclusion that FF is actually Chrisco's alter-ego! It was a clever ruse, wearing a mask in your FF avatar, but really, who did you think you were going to fool? The chin, the vacant stare, all easily recognizable... but what REALLY gave you away was your lassiez-faire attitude toward comic book collecting. Only one such as YOU would attempt to undermine the very essence of comic book collecting (For ENJOYMENT!?!?!? It is to laugh.) in order to further your pursuit of the finest collection in town. Only by exposing the fraudulence that is the ambition of collecting books that one will never read will you be able to bring about The Great Crash so that you can scoop up all of your precious high grade gems! Sick, man! You're busted! (Both of you! confused.gif )

I would congratulate you for cleverly uncovering my charade, but I'm too busy sipping wine coolers and doing what I do when I'm not posting here--staring blankly at all my lovely, high-grade comics, admiring how lovely the colors are and how well the plastic cases frame the artwork. I'd sorta like to read them, or admire the interior art, but here in Khaos-world, you either enjoy a good read, or you admire the purity of a comic that looks like it just came off the stands--there is no in-between. frown.gif

As a coin collector, I still think comic books are for reading and rereading usually laying down with the pages folded over, while eating. They are meant to be enjoyed. CHRIS

And as a comic collector, I think coins are for spending, train-track amusement, drinking contests and metallurgy experiments!

thumbsup2.gifwink.gif

An' don' makepoint.gif furget DRINKING CoNtesTs !!

I would congratulate you for cleverly uncovering my charade, but I'm too busy sipping wine coolers and doing what I do when I'm not posting here--staring blankly at all my lovely, high-grade comics, admiring how lovely the colors are and how well the plastic cases frame the artwork. I'd sorta like to read them, or admire the interior art, but here in Khaos-world, you either enjoy a good read, or you admire the purity of a comic that looks like it just came off the stands--there is no in-between. frown.gif

You got one thing right... this is Khaos-World and you're just renting space! sumo.gif

And... "sipping wine coolers"?? Who are you, Ernest or Julio? hi.gif

The chin, the vacant stare

hi.gif

Damn Khaos. You're detective skills are unmatched! A modern day Phillip Marlowe. You shouldn't be sniffin' around in others affairs. Now we's gotta rough ya up a bit. Pass me that sap, FF. tongue.gif

Chris