• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Booooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!! GPA raises prices

239 posts in this topic

I don't use it but I can see why they could raise the prices. Isn't everyone, including comic book sellers? They have to give the employees raises every year and pay their rising overhead also. It's a dollar. Either dropped them or pay it. Simple really. I just dropped BlockBuster through the mail, because they raised their prices. Not a big deal. Just make a decision and do it. I GPA raises it price to you by 10%, then raise the price of your books by 11%. It's the American way.

I do not make any $ from them EXCEPT when I use them, which will be quite often in the future!

As Roy said: You get what you pay for.

Kind of like CGC & PGX, you can have experts or not. Very simple.

If you had to pay gpa or comicspriceguide.com even $300.00 a year and it saves you even only $400.00, how can this be bad??? Hell, we are paying $4 a gallon for gas, what the hell is a great price guide worth per month?

And BTW...I no longer work for CGC, so I do not have to "watch what I say".

You're in a blue label now.

:angel:

From Qualified (green) to Universal (blue). Batten down the hatches!

I don't use it but I can see why they could raise the prices. Isn't everyone, including comic book sellers? They have to give the employees raises every year and pay their rising overhead also. It's a dollar. Either dropped them or pay it. Simple really. I just dropped BlockBuster through the mail, because they raised their prices. Not a big deal. Just make a decision and do it. I GPA raises it price to you by 10%, then raise the price of your books by 11%. It's the American way.

The American way usually waits for inflation and demands wage increases.

But will it stop the "I need GPA on this comic (FOR FREE)" threads? hm

There will be more of those threads than ever now.:eek:

I totally get the "anger and backlash" as a consumer too when anything goes up in price. Some pizz me off more than others based on if they really needed to go up or if its just greed-inspired market manipulation. Gas prices obviously would be what bothers me the most currently while the rising price of Milk, not so much. Probably because rising Milk (and food prices) are a byproduct of gas prices.

Anyway, as for GPA consider...

The GPA service requires continued investment, resources and labor to maintain, improve and evolve. When any business "invests" in a product/service, it hopes to receive a "fair" return on that effort.

Unfortunately, what many do not realize is... in addition to the "Ask for free when they truly use it enough to warrant buying it" group that avoids paying GPA fees... there are also MANY people (soon to be much fewer) "sharing" a single account? What's worse is there are also groups of 3 or more. The largest known group has (8) people in it! That's BS!

So, similar to other services, Paying Consumers unfortunately end up picking up some of the slack of the non-paying abusers of that same service... and yes, its not fair. The best example I can think of is Insurance Companies and how we absorb higher rates due to the dishonest behavior of some. The reality is, theft and fraudulent behavior happens anywhere a system can be abused. GPA has been vulnerable to dishonesty since its inception.

Just think about how much revenue GPA has lost over the years (if say 150+ subscribers) have been stealing it by partnering up with 1 or more buddies and sharing an account? This type of fraud is the main reason I personally try to raise awareness here on the boards in favor of GPA (most often in the form of being a "pain in the azz") encouraging those that "should" buy the service to consider supporting it. I don't enjoy being a PITA BTW, but someone has to say something... and I'm more aware of all the theft going on with account sharing.

Do you think the significant losses (stunted growth) GPA has suffered may have something to do with the price increase we now see years later? What would you do if you developed the service and relied on its income? Shouldn't we be pizzed at the cheapskates that have been ripping GPA off for all these years robbing them of the well-deserved, hard-earned revenue they worked for?

The good news is GPA has figured out a way to prevent this type of abuse going forward so we can look forward to stable prices and a better product too.

For those that are really "hurt" by this increase and will have to drop the service... that sucks and I feel your pain. :( However, you will be able to take advantage of a new GPA service being developed that will cater to those with "less need" and/or "less resources". Basically, it will be a "Single Day Access" for dirt cheap. Hopefully that will help. For the record, I'm of the opinion the service is still "well worth" its fee, but I'm sure you'd expect me to say that.

Sorry to vent, but George and GPA provide a great service that helps the Comic Market in many ways and all its individual subscribers as well. It makes me angry to know how many in our community have taken advantage of this service... for years.

:sumo:

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the falling $US ???

The reason that I say this is that as we know, GPA is an Australian service.

Back when the $US was worth double the Australian dollar George or should I say GPA was making nearly AU$14 per month from each US subscriber.

Now that the $US is nearly on a par with the $AU he is making $6.95 per month. & with a price jump to $9 he is still making a lot less that a few years ago

If i am correct his revenue has actually dropped by nearly 50% over 6 years.

As an export service provider I can understand why this has happened.

Now we begin to see how the reverse of what every Aussie comic collector has felt over the last 20 years when purchsing items priced in a strong foreign currency.

Importing for us is now fantastic but exporting hurts due to our strong dollar.

My 2c

Russ...

GPA is a tool...perhaps the best tool of it's kind...it has saved/made me thousands and if they have to raise their rates slightly then I will still support them since it is in my own best interest... 2c

I totally get the "anger and backlash" as a consumer too when anything goes up in price. Some pizz me off more than others based on if they really needed to go up or if its just greed-inspired market manipulation. Gas prices obviously would be what bothers me the most currently while the rising price of Milk, not so much. Probably because rising Milk (and food prices) are a byproduct of gas prices.

The GPA service requires continued investment, resources and labor to maintain, improve and evolve. When any business "invests" in a product/service, it hopes to receive a "fair" return on that effort.

Unfortunately, what many do not realize is... in addition to the "Ask for free when they truly use it enough to warrant buying it" group that avoids paying GPA fees... there are also MANY people (soon to be much fewer) "sharing" a single account? What's worse is there are also groups of 3 or more. The largest known group has (8) people in it! That's BS!

So, similar to other services, Paying Consumers unfortunately end up picking up some of the slack of the non-paying abusers of that same service... and yes, its not fair. The best example I can think of is Insurance Companies and how we absorb higher rates due to the dishonest behavior of some. The reality is, theft and fraudulent behavior happens anywhere a system can be abused. GPA has been vulnerable to dishonesty since its inception.

Just think about how much revenue GPA has lost over the years (if say 150+ subscribers) have been stealing it by partnering up with 1 or more buddies and sharing an account? This type of fraud is the main reason I personally try to raise awareness here on the boards in favor of GPA (most often in the form of being a "pain in the azz") encouraging those that "should" buy the service to consider supporting it. I don't enjoy being a PITA BTW, but someone has to say something... and I'm more aware of all the theft going on with account sharing.

Do you think the significant losses (stunted growth) GPA has suffered may have something to do with the price increase we now see years later? What would you do if you developed the service and relied on its income? Shouldn't we be pizzed at the cheapskates that have been ripping GPA off for all these years robbing them of the well-deserved, hard-earned revenue they worked for?

The good news is GPA has figured out a way to prevent this type of abuse going forward so we can look forward to stable prices and a better product too.

For those that are really "hurt" by this increase and will have to drop the service... that sucks and I feel your pain. :( However, you will be able to take advantage of a new GPA service being developed that will cater to those with "less need" and/or "less resources". Basically, it will be a "Single Day Access" for dirt cheap. Hopefully that will help. For the record, I'm of the opinion the service is still "well worth" its fee, but I'm sure you'd expected me to say that.

Sorry to vent, but George and GPA provide a great service that helps the Comic Market in many ways and all its individual subscribers as well. It makes me angry to know how many in our community have taken advantage of this service... for years.

Amen, brother. It is outrigtht theft. To me it is no different than downloading music for free. Someone will pay for it. This is going to be the big challenge on the internet 2.0 and 3.0. How do we charge for intellectual property. The GPA info is no less valuable than the hard goods that I sell but is infinitely easier to steal than the goods I sell on the web. I for one will not complain and I also love the new design. The extra 3.00 will save me mountains of time each month combing through issues.

rantrant

People complain about price but always want more service.

Not in this case - they want the same service for the same price.

Actually hasn't GPA been upgraded?

What about cost of living expenses, higher overheads, changing dollar values etc?

come on guys...many of you spent $10 in a month on two coffees from Starbucks or two or 3 moderns in a month. If that $10 saves you $100...heck if it saves you $11 then it's a no brainer.

It is outrigtht theft. To me it is no different than downloading music for free....

Ain't nothin' wrong with ignoring copyright on music, video, etc. (But that's a lengthy argument for another day).

GPA are welcome to charge whatever they like, and I'll decide whether or not it's a service I want at the price.

Looks like only a month by month option to me...

JMHO but I don't view this as a price increase...I see it more as they no longer offer a discounted option ... hm

For those that are really "hurt" by this increase and will have to drop the service... that sucks and I feel your pain. :( However, you will be able to take advantage of a new GPA service being developed that will cater to those with "less need" and/or "less resources". Basically, it will be a "Single Day Access" for dirt cheap. Hopefully that will help. For the record, I'm of the opinion the service is still "well worth" its fee, but I'm sure you'd expected me to say that.

(worship)

JMHO but I don't view this as a price increase...I see it more as they no longer offer a discounted option ... hm

Thanks.

BTW... supapimp got your custom title ... :):gossip:

Thanks.

BTW... supapimp got your custom title ... :):gossip:

:o thanks for the heads-up...

I swear the email I received indicated my cost actually went DOWN, but I read it a bit quickly so I could be wrong.

Additionally, I swear my subscription was extended until Aug of NEXT year which is like getting 4-6 months free for me (can't remember the exact month I signed up. hm

I can give you one prediction on GPA - most sales in the foreseeable future will end at "below previous GPA average", or something similar.

As for me, I don't use it.

the service is invaluable but it feels like i'm being asked to subsidize: the stiffs that consistently ask for GPA info or that piggyback someone else's subscription or greggy
:(