• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$66mm dark knight BO

166 posts in this topic

Shown on more screens at midnight, shown on less screens for the day as a whole.

I didn't see socratic put a limiting factor of midnight shows only in his statement, and it was correct that the total number of screens the movie is being shown on is less than Spider-Man 3's number.

So you are both correct.

Happy?

and I wonder if the "adjusted for ticket price inflation" calculator separates the box office of the different re-releases when doing computations.

YUP, they are adjusted for re-releases..........

I didn't see socratic put a limiting factor of midnight shows only in his statement

Then he shouldn't have replied in a :gossip: way to my 100% factual statement. If he posted it alone, who cares, but it wasn't.

and I wonder if the "adjusted for ticket price inflation" calculator separates the box office of the different re-releases when doing computations.

YUP, they are adjusted for re-releases..........

Cool. Then hats off to GWTW.

I was thinking they might have been seeing the huge disparity between Fantasia's b.o. gross and Snow White's, yet the adjusted numbers were much closer together than the box office figures might lead you to believe (showing how strong Snow White was in it's re-releases in 43, 58, 67, 75, 83, etc)

I didn't see socratic put a limiting factor of midnight shows only in his statement

Then he shouldn't have replied in a :gossip: way to my 100% factual statement. If he posted it alone, who cares, but it wasn't.

I didn't post the gremlin for any particular reason (shrug) I just like gremlins. I didn't want to get into a argument, just wanted to make the point that comparing the Box Office #'s of Dark Knight and Spider-Man 3 wasn't that ridiculous. Its comparing apples to apples.

Just my opinion anyway.

Thanks Crowzilla for clarifying my point :foryou:

It really is stupid how the figure these things. If te equation worked out to value of the dollar currently. Alot of the older movies have made a "dumptruck load" of cash by today standards.

Is there any way to equate what this movie has earned by the value of a dollar in say 1978 ?

Um, JC posted a chart above.

:whistle:

FYI a lot of those movies (those with the symbol to the far right) are based upon multiple showings in the theater. I am not sure the actual numbers on just one showing.

i believe that's a one day record

At a record number of theaters, and at record high ticket prices...

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a great movie, but all this box office BS is stupid, as each new manufactured "record" means less and less.

Joe, do you EVER have anything nice to say ??

Try working a positive spin on it. Even if it is a piece of offal, maybe

think that the economy is improving and folks have more bucks to

waste of offal.

Huh? My comments have absolutely nothing to do with the actual movie, and only relate to the insane front-loading the studios do to guarantee a new "day/weekend/week" opening record, like some bizarro self-fulfilling prophecy.

Huh? My comments have absolutely nothing to do with the actual movie, and only relate to the insane front-loading the studios do to guarantee a new "day/weekend/week" opening record, like some bizarro self-fulfilling prophecy.

I have to agree with JC on this one and that chart you posted is fantastic!

R.

R.

That chart makes for fascinating reading. I'm amazed that The Exorcist is number 9 on that list...

think that the economy is improving

lol

Well, it hasn't really got bad here. My numbers are still heading up.

Only in Canada'r eh?

R.

as fantastic as the fact (?) that action comics used to sell 1mm copies a month in the 40's. as has been stated before, there weren't many entertainment options when GWTW was released.

as fantastic as the fact (?) that action comics used to sell 1mm copies a month in the 40's. as has been stated before, there weren't many entertainment options when GWTW was released.

Ummm, were you living under a rock in the 90's?

I think FC was assuming it was all box office gross while you are implying it is total revenue, right?

luckily missed out on buying a long box of x-men #1 unlike a few others out there. but i did order GWTW from Netflix back in 1940.

luckily missed out on buying a long box of x-men #1 unlike a few others out there.

Hey, I didn't buy that crepe either, but I didn't fall asleep for 10 years like you apparently did.