• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$66mm dark knight BO

166 posts in this topic

By any of the available data, TDK ranks much higher than BB, and there is no disputing that. Better reviews, better audience tracking ratings, higher box office, higher ratings on fan sites like IMDB, more Oscar buzz, etc.

That's just the way it is, and there is no "depends" there.

BTW, Batman Begins had its fair share of detractors, and vastly outnumbered those who didn't like TDK, so don't try and paint it as something that "everyone loved".

While walking out of the theater yesterday there were more than a few people saying it wasn't as good as advertised... hm

No movie could live up to that hype, and a lot of people think The Godfather, Star Wars, Shawshank, etc. are all overrated.

You can't please everyone, and the only certainty is that the overall audience response is higher for TDK than BB. That's all I'm saying.

By any of the available data, TDK ranks much higher than BB, and there is no disputing that. Better reviews, better audience tracking ratings, higher box office, higher ratings on fan sites like IMDB, more Oscar buzz, etc.

BTW, Batman Begins had its fair share of detractors, and vastly outnumbered those who didn't like TDK, so don't try and paint it as something that "everyone loved".

I'll tell you this much, I won't see "Dark Knight Runs", or whatever it's called, as quickly as I dropped $40 to see this one.

Not because it doesn't have Heath Ledger either.

'll tell you this much, I won't see "Dark Knight Runs", or whatever it's called, as quickly as I dropped $40 to see this one.

So you think Batman Begins is a superior movie to The Dark Knight?

No trick question, just trying to clarify.

While walking out of the theater yesterday there were more than a few people saying it wasn't as good as advertised... hm

No movie could live up to that hype, and a lot of people think The Godfather, Star Wars, Shawshank, etc. are all overrated.

That's what I thought as well. And they may have been the ones who went to see Ledger and after the novelty wore off realized it wasn't a movie they'd normally go see...

Jim

'll tell you this much, I won't see "Dark Knight Runs", or whatever it's called, as quickly as I dropped $40 to see this one.

So you think Batman Begins is a superior movie to The Dark Knight?

No trick question, just trying to clarify.

I didn't pay to see Batman Begins in the theater. I saw it on DVD. I enjoyed watching it more than I enjoyed the experience of watching Dark Knight.

I think Dark Knight, for what it is, was executed tremendously well, but with hindsight, I could have waited to see it on Blu Ray.

You can't please everyone, and the only certainty is that the overall audience response is higher for TDK than BB. That's all I'm saying.

(thumbs u Shawshank is obscenely overrated.

People who've been in prison often say that. lol

:eek:

:eek:

Maybe that's why I never felt I was Shawshanks target audience.

Agreed, numbers are numbers, and the numbers clearly reflect that the majority of people find Dark Knight better than BB. Glad to see you in my shallow area of the gene pool this time around. :headbang:

Agreed, numbers are numbers, and the numbers clearly reflect that the majority of people find Dark Knight better than BB. Glad to see you in my shallow area of the gene pool this time around. :headbang:

Actually, you're dipping your toes in the deep end. (thumbs u

I had a couple of comic fans tell me this was the best comic film ever, hmmmm.

I thought it was a good solid film yes, best ever, no way!

Maybe the best DC film, nah, even though they are a bit dated I still think Superman 1 + 2 are more enjoyable for me. I admit, it's better than all the other Batman films.

Something was missing, could not think what at first but now I know, I did not care for Batman, had no feelings for him at all he could have got blown up for all I cared.

Thought Rachel Dawes was ugly, did not care about her character being killed either. Morgan and Michael were the same as they usually are. Thought Gary Oldman was a bit weak! Heath did a great job, oscar worthy, I don't think so!

Aaron Eckhart I thought was very solid, guy from prison break was good at the begining!

Good film, over hyped!

Next up, Watchmen (looks good), The Spirit (looks good, but a bit to Sin city though), Hellboy 2 (hmmmm, did not like 1st much), Punisher war zone (hmmmm), Sin City 2 (1st one, best comic film ever made in my opinion).

herc

I just saw it for the second time today. It was just as good the second time around though I did have more attention to follow the details better and did notice a few things that got forgotten or missed the first time around because of all the action.

1) It did not seem very Gotham-like except the scenes in the police station. I know someone just mentioned this and it did not dawn on me till now.

2) I walked out just before the last 10 minutes were over. Once the joker was taken care of...to me the movie was over.

3) Maggie Gyl. is not who I would have picked for the role but she grew on me...and it is very nice to have a natural looking femme in a big role instead of always having a done up 19 year old. She has great jiggle. :whistle:

4) The movie was a *little* too unbelieveable with all the co-incidences but I guess it is comics and they did make the movie seem VERY comic-like. Terrific action, iconic scenes...fantastic!

5) The amount of tiny clues that were dropped like breadcrumbs through out the movie were amazing. I missed them all the first time around. Great writing!

6) Not sure I liked Batman's suit that much...mostly the head piece...but It is probably the best that they could do and 95% of the time it was ok. I guess I'm a little traditional.

R.

what clues?

There were camera angles and pauses used very well, sometimes a second longer focus on a person than there needed to be. I don't want to spoil anything (and my memory is poor so I don't remember mnay details now) but I specifically remember sitting in the theatre the 2nd time around and saying to myself...how did I miss that the first time around? The movie was very dense (or condensed) as far as action and story went.

I also think Heath did a fantastic job. IMO he dethroned Jack Nicholson as the ultimate Joker on film which I did not think possible.

R.

Oh yeah, it did not even feel like it was Gotham to me, just seemed like any regular city?

Yeah...CHICAGO. Gotham's details were not there...but I didn't come to see GOTHAM. The reality based setting was ok in my book. It added to the sell.