• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: the VH1 Rock Honors - The Who

47 posts in this topic

I enjoyed the show too (esp. Pearl Jam), but who invited all the zombies to sit in the first 20 rows? That was one of the most unenthusiastic rock crowds I've ever seen for a band like The Who.

I enjoyed the show too (esp. Pearl Jam), but who invited all the zombies to sit in the first 20 rows? That was one of the most unenthusiastic rock crowds I've ever seen for a band like The Who.
Corporate yuppie scumbags probably.

I saw the Who in 1988 and it was fantastic. Our group got split into two during the festivities and after walking around the arena and watching the concert from every angle we actually bumped into each other somewhere in the middle among 40-50,000 people. Good times!

:headbang:

I hate that shizzle. Fuggers.

Most likely.

And maybe a few of them thought like I do: The 2008 version of "The Who" = zzz

Most likely.

And maybe a few of them thought like I do: The 2008 version of "The Who" = zzz

Sad but true. The Who as anything other than an oldies act died with Keith Moon. But their best music is timeless, and still has the power to challenge and inspire.

The funny thing about the Who is that no other band ever sounded exactly like them. There were (and still are) lots of bands that sounded like (or tried to sound like) the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc., etc., but nobody ever quite managed to duplicate and sustain The Who's classic sound (from '65 - '71 or so). The Jam and Oasis came very close on some tunes (so did Cheap Trick, The Raspberries, and Big Star for that matter), and bands like U2 and Pearl Jam are The Who's closest spiritual and philosophical cousins. But The Who remains unique, if also the palest shadow of the glory that was.

And speaking of a band that captures even a little of The Who's magic, check out The High Dials (from Montreal)...especially a song called "I Am The Eye." Brilliant!

I saw the Who in 1988 and it was fantastic. Our group got split into two during the festivities and after walking around the arena and watching the concert from every angle we actually bumped into each other somewhere in the middle among 40-50,000 people. Good times!

Did you mean 1989?

I watched The Who (on T.V.) do their set at Glastonbury last year. After the show ended I put on my DVD of them at the Isle Of Wight festival in 1970.

To be fair they were still competent at Glasto, although Daltrey's voice (rather like Ian Gillan's, or Robert Plant's) is a shadow of what it was, even 10 years ago.

The IOW footage reminded me of just how intense and tight they were as young men...they were possibly the best live act of all. They'd've wiped the floor with all the other Glasto acts in their prime.

Did you mean 1989?

Could be...I was 18 (which is what I went by) well into 1989 so it could be. Was that one of their "last" tours?

The 2008 version of "The Who" = zzz

No disrespect to the two surviving members, but without Moon and Entwistle who both redefined the instruments they played, the Who isn't really the Who at all.