• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: the VH1 Rock Honors - The Who

47 posts in this topic

The 2008 version of "The Who" = zzz

No disrespect to the two surviving members, but without Moon and Entwistle who both redefined the instruments they played, the Who isn't really the Who at all.

(thumbs u

:sumo:

Who Are You is probably the last great Who cd.

Bands do have this tendency to stick around way longer than they should.

Kudos to the Beatles and Zeppelin for knowing when to quit.

Yeah...sometimes when it's time to move on, it's time to move on.

My first Who concert was in 1982 at the old JFK Stadium in Philly: 90,000 people crammed into a football stadium that, even back then, was in a poor state of repair. None of us had our driver's license at that point, so my mom hauled me and my buddies up from Baltimore, and dropped us off in the parking lot, which was already thick with pot smoke. (My mom and her friend--both ladies in their early 50s--actually met Roger Daltrey on their way out of the stadium lot...but that's another story...)

This was my first BIG Rock concert, and I'd never seen so many freaks in my life -- there were already people passed out on the hoods of their cars when we got there.

The Hooters, Santanna, and the Clash opened the show. My buddy Luke and I got up pretty close for the Clash, but we had to back off as the crowd surged for The Who (see pics below).

At the time, I couldn't believe I was actually seeing these guys...I mean, it was the fugging Who...the greatest Rock and Roll band in the World as far as I was concerned!!! But after the thrill of just being there wore off, the show was kind of a let-down: people threw stuff at the Clash (my other favorite band at the time), the stadium sound was weak, Santanna took about a zillion too many wank-a-rama guitar solos, somebody lit a fire in front of the stage, and The Who was just NOT the same band I'd become obsessed with after seeing "The Kids are Alright" at the midnight movies, and wearing a groove into my first vinyl copy of "Who's Next".

The songs were the same, of course, and Daltrey's voice was still in good shape, but Pete's playing style and sound had changed dramatically (us guitar geeks know that he had switched from Gibson SG Specials and Les Paul Deluxes to Schecther Telecasters), and Kenny Jones's drumming--which was solid and fantastic in The Faces--was thin and anemic in the context of songs which so obviously belonged, heart and soul, to the irreplaceable Keith Moon.

It was a fun day that I'll never forget, but I still left a sadder yet wiser (young) man.

l_e2f27d07529fab38256ab98fd67219d1.jpg